Anti lock brakes saved me yesterday - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 10-27-2013, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Anti lock brakes saved me yesterday

I was riding on a two lane road in the center of a small town, going about 35mph. There was a line of traffic come toward me. One of the cars decided to take a left turn into a driveway right in front of me. I was shocked for a second (I couldn't believe he was going to do it). I leaned on the horn and slammed on both brakes. Based on past experience (and I have 44 years of riding experience), I anticipated seizing both wheels, smashing down to the left, and careening into his front bumper. Instead, I stopped like I never stopped before - perfectly upright, no skids, and no loss of control. I stopped about two feet before the side of his car, which was still executing a left turn. The bozo never noticed me. He looked pretty old; I suspect he was half blind. The moral of this story: ABS may have saved my life yesterday. How did I ever do without it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 10-27-2013, 09:03 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
That's the beauty of it. If you hadn't practiced enough to make an emergency stop a reflex action, ABS will keep you from dropping the bike. I'd recommend forgetting about the horn in a situation like that though and put all your focus on braking. Horns are fine if you have time. In a bona fide emergency, stick to crash avoidance maneuvers rather than hoping somebody else will suddenly pay attention and do exactly the right thing in their own emergency situation.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 40 Old 10-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

I still get into arguments pretty regularly about the importance of ABS. People believe it is a crutch that will make you a weaker rider, another complicated piece of technology just to fail, and that with ABS you'll never be able to stop as fast as without it.

I don't think they understand that ABS is a backup. It's only going to come on when you need it, it's a very mature technology, and if you never lock up your wheels, it will have zero affect on your braking performance.

Day two of owing my Strom ABS saved me. I was changing into the turning lane to enter a Walmart to buy some Chain Saver. The light was red, and I was preparing to stop when a car immediately cut in front of me and slammed on their brakes. I applied too much pressure on my front brake, skidded on a puddle of motor oil but stopped with plenty of room to spare. Without ABS I think I would have went down.

I'm glad you are ok and not a dent in someone's car.

post #4 of 40 Old 10-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

yup

and that's why I bought a DL650A (ABS) and sold my DL650.
post #5 of 40 Old 10-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

What greywolf said. Where's the "Like" button?

I don't mind the going and I don't mind the stopping. I absolutely hate the stop and going.
post #6 of 40 Old 10-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

The ABS has saved me two likely 'downs' so far. It was a deciding factor in getting a new bike.

When it triggers, I don't feel like a dummy for grabbing too much brake, I feel like a genius for having a back-up plan. Mostly, I feel happy that I get to keep going on my way instead of having to deal with a damaged bike and/ or injured body.
post #7 of 40 Old 10-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

On the Blue Ridge Parkway I was getting off on an exit and changed my mind on the direction too late to make the change fully(yeah, poor operator decision). I slowed, easing onto the unpaved triangle at the intersection, planning to take advantage of the stroms light weight and poor terrain capabilities. Surprise! I was expecting the tires to bite into the dry turf, as prior experience has led me to expect, however, the ABS prevented any lockup, or stop, on the unpaved surface letting me glide gently out into the thankfully abandoned rural intersection.

I'm not knocking ABS and agree that it's a great addition, but when not used to it it can have some unexpected results, not all positive. Had kinda similar experience a number of years ago the first time I came (I thought) to a screeching stop on a dirt road in my first ABS equipped car. NO STOP!!! (I do have the Eastern Beaver switch installed)

. . . . . BIKES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . DL650 FARKLES
2013 DL650 Adventure . . . . . . BB VPS, HT Center Stand,
2009 DR650, 2009 DRZ400 . . . .Kaoko, Oxford Grips.
2002 ZG1000, 1999 DR350 . . . .EB PC-8, ABS Switch &
-Some others long gone-. . . . . Headlight Relay Kit.
75&77 CB400F, 78 GS550 . . . . AdvTech Fork Brace,
---- First Bike ----. . . . . . . . . Peg Lowering Kit,
------ 1973 ------. . . . . . . . . Aux Shelf & Over Dash Shelf.
-- Suzuki T-500 --. . . . . . . . . E. G. Bash Plate & Hwy Pegs
post #8 of 40 Old 10-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Aka
Stromthusiast!

When I was buying my first bike, SOOOOO many people tried to talk me out of buying one with ABS. I ended up buying an SV650SA, and while I never intended to prove them wrong. The 2nd day I was out, a deer ran out in front of me on one of the few fun curvy roads in Southern Ontario. ABS definitely saved me there.

So of course my V-strom would have ABS after the numerous experiences I had with it on the SV650SA.

That said... there were a couple times in Colorado I wish I could have turned it off, if only on the back wheel. But it's saved me far more times than it hasn't.
post #9 of 40 Old 10-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstamper View Post
I leaned on the horn
why

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

RandyO
IBA# 9560
07 Strom 1k (8x,xxx miles)
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
www.gbhsurvey.com
post #10 of 40 Old 10-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Living the Stereotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
why
I've been known to scream in my helmet at the dolt turning in front of me.

It works as well as the horn and allows full use of my hands.

OP: I'm glad you were able to exploit the technology that's been quietly waiting for its chance to prove itself. Hope you never need it again.

Sent from my Hewlett-Packard 75C, using the Flying Merkel motorcycle app.

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode