Cold weather gloves? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Cold weather gloves?

I live in upstate NY and just got my 650 this month. I want to keep riding until the first salt. It's getting pretty cold up here, but my ski gloves don't provide the grip or sensitivity I need. Does anyone have any recommendations for cold weather riding gloves? Thanks. . .JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 10-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you aren't going electric, you'll probably have to sacrifice feel for warmth. I have a Seirus thin glove which is billed as the warmest glove for the slim profile. It's used as a glove liner inside regular winter gloves, not motorcycle gloves. I've used snowmobile gloves and motorcycle winter gloves and haven't yet found anything that is as warm. You'll also want to get handguards to block the wind and elephant ears will also help. I may try a set of elephant ears for this winter since my new commute is further. HTH
post #3 of 38 Old 10-24-2013, 09:56 PM
$tromtrooper

Based on where you live, you need to look at electrics either grips or gloves. You are not going to find non-electric gloves that will give you the comfort of electric grips or gloves. I run a Warm & Safe jacket liner with controller and Oxford Heaterz grips with no problem on my 2011 WeeStrom. The Datel volt meter wired across the battery reads at least 13.8 volts at anything above an idle. Electrics will do wonders for your cold riding experience

To followup:
As "liketoride2" suggested you will need the hand guards to block wind. For gloves I wear the "Lee Parks" DeerTour Pci gloves which are very light and made specifically for use with heated grips without losing any dexterity. I have had them for 4 years and will replace with same whenever they wear out. They look like they are good for another 3 or 4. I have done 400 mile days down into single digit temps and stayed warm. They really do work as advertised.

Link: http://www.leeparksdesign.com/catalo...product=341068

Last edited by madstrom; 10-24-2013 at 11:17 PM.

post #4 of 38 Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Gerbing! But you do loose tactile feel. Warm means layers and bulk. Get hand guards if you don't have them. One does get used to fat hands to stay warm.
post #5 of 38 Old 10-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

I agree that heated gloves and/or heated grips are the warmest available way to keep hands warm. However, if you don't want to go that way and would rather try a very warm regular glove one option is the Olympus Weatherking Extra II. It has Primaloft insulation which I think is the best there is, as warm as down without downs drawbacks, and a Gore-Tex membrane, a great combination, as well as a Hydrofil moisture wicking lining.

Just one possible option.

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net
post #6 of 38 Old 10-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

My solution that keeps my hands nice and toasty is heated grips and handlebar mitts. I got these $20 eBay specials and modified them. Able to wear my normal glove. It's like having furry kittens around your hands😜ImageUploadedByMO Free1382673931.552869.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 38 Old 10-25-2013, 12:17 AM
$tromtrooper

If you're only going to ride until the salt comes out, you're not riding in serious cold. Heated grips and a bulky pair of gloves should do you.

If you really want to be comfortable, heated gloves are the way to go. I run the new generation Gerbings. They're not as bulky as the old classic version, but they're no summer glove. Bulky gloves come with winter. Accept them and stay warm.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #8 of 38 Old 10-25-2013, 04:50 AM
$tromtrooper

I have wanted to purchase a nice pair of winter gloves for years (e.g., Aerostich Insulated Elkskin Gauntlet Gloves :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear), but my Oxford heated grips and $25 Tourmaster insulated gloves have never let me justify the expense.

1985 Honda CB450SC (AUG04 - SEP09)
2004 Honda CN250 Helix (NOV09 - )
2006 Suzuki DL650 (MAR07 - APR15)
2014 BMW R1200GSW (APR14 - )
Lordsmoke, still refusing to obey the voices!
post #9 of 38 Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

I agree with Madstrom. Lee Parks gloves are good. If you are lucky you will catch him and his family at a event. They will spend the time to fit you with gloves until they have a pair that don't pucker around your palm and cause blisters. Heated grips and hand guards will complete the task. Thick gloves only slow reaction time in my opinion.

Try getting anything out of your pocket or jacket with heavy gloves on.

Hand guards and thick gloves can make it difficult to grab the lever. Even with the adjustment at the smallest setting.

Thick gloves and numb finger tips make for limited tactile feel.

Just my 2 "P"

I don't mind the going and I don't mind the stopping. I absolutely hate the stop and going.
post #10 of 38 Old 10-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

What do you guys use for heating cold feet?

I went to fleet farm last night and they had heated socks for $25 and they use a single D battery (each) for 7 hours of warmth. I got some foot warmer insoles that last for 7 hours for $3.00.

Klim makes some good gloves for $100 a pair. http://www.klim.com/

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

Last edited by D.T.; 10-25-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode