Front tire change - stumped - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-24-2013, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Front tire change - stumped

Folks,

I'm getting my 2012 Wee ready for a weekend road trip and decided to change the front tire. I have Pitbull rear and front (triple tree) stands. I wasn't able to get the pin inserted completely in the triple tree socket, but it went in far enough to get the front tire off the floor of the garage so I could remove it. Installing the new tire on the rim went just fine.

Now, though, I'm finding it impossible to get the wheel with the new tire installed under the front fender - there's just not enough room. I'm very hesitant to try to force it out of concern that the bike will slip off the triple tree pin and come crashing onto the forks. The bike does not have a center stand, and there are no rafters accessible in the garage strong enough to let me hoist the bike up farther. What to do?

Thanks,

Trent

Trent Hill
Seattle, Washington
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

Try deflating the tire first. Then grab the jack out of your car and use it to raise the front.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-24-2013, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The tire was deflated, but pulling the valve core gave me enough wiggle to get the tire back out from under the fender. The jack in the wife's car, though, is too short to reach any part of the bike that could support its weight. Worse case scenario, I guess I could go rent a proper jack tomorrow.

The next question is: where is a safe lift point for the Wee with an auto jack? I've got a set of crash bars, but no skid plate.

Trent Hill
Seattle, Washington
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Trent in WA; 10-24-2013 at 01:19 AM.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-24-2013, 01:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

I once changed the front wheel using two jack stands and an auto jack (I didn't have a center stand then. I used a jack stand for each swing arm, the auto jack (with a small 2x4) on the oil filter mounting point (making sure not to touch the delicate filter).

2013 DL650A
post #5 of 9 Old 10-24-2013, 01:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

You may have to loosen the bolts on the fender and get it up...I have to. One more reason I want to raise my fender.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 9 Old 10-24-2013, 02:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Maybe backing off the rear preload, or deflating the rear tire- I don't know how your rear stand works. You can use wood blocks with a jack if it won't reach. Or, put some dead weight on the rear seat.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-24-2013, 06:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent in WA View Post

The next question is: where is a safe lift point for the Wee with an auto jack? I've got a set of crash bars, but no skid plate.
I'm sure this is not suggested by the pros, but I use the part of the engine that the oil filter threads into, just behind the filter enough that there isn't undue stress on the filter. There is kind of a flat spot there that captures the head of the jack. The scissor jack from my poor totaled Honda Civic works fine to support it, though the balance is a bit precarious since the jack head is fairly small. I do have a centerstand though so this may not work for you.

I lift the bike only long enough to remove the wheel, I do all the actual loosening and tightening of the axle, pinch bolts, caliper bolts, ABS sensor, etc., while the bike is planted on terra firma.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireclimber View Post
You may have to loosen the bolts on the fender and get it up...I have to. One more reason I want to raise my fender.
Before trying that, see the sticky warning on the front fender bolts.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #9 of 9 Old 10-24-2013, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for all your help. I managed to get the wheel mounted and everything buttoned back up properly. Using the oil filter mount as the jack attachment point did the trick.

Trent Hill
Seattle, Washington
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode