New SIDI boots, can't shift. Will lower Pegs work? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-23-2013, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Red face New SIDI boots, can't shift. Will lower Pegs work?

Hopefully this is the right place to post this question since it is specific to the 12+ Glee. I just rode with a new pair of SIDI Combat Lites and could not shift without rocking my foot uncomfortably forward to get under the shifter. Considering raising the shifter if possible but also lowering the foot pegs. Has anyone struggled with this issue. I currently wear Fly riding boots which work fine but have grown to hate these boots. I really like the quality of the SIDI but can't get my foot under easily, even with moving my knee down. Doesn't feel safe. So is it worth lowering the pegs to fix this issue. I would probably go ahead and order the RR mirror extenders at the same time to use with some Tuono mirrors. Any feedback is much appreciated. BTW, I didn't pop on the SIDI boots yet in case I can't adjust the bike. Was grateful that Aerostich let me go for a ride with them first.

Keep Calm, Fly-fish
------------------------------------------------------------
L2 Glee White- birthday 17 JAN 13
Farkles last to first: MFW Hwy pegs, Russell Daylong, Givi 3D604 tank bag, Motech Pegs, Madstad bracket&adv windshield, Tuono mirrors, Uclear HBC200 headset, E45 topcase, Cree driving lights w/Motech brackets,14T Sprocket, bar riser, E21 panniers, Stich heated grips/outlet, EB PC8, RR Fork Brace, Kouba link, Barkbusters, SW-Motech Centerstand/Skidplate/Crash Bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Adjust the position of the shifter lever to match the size of the boot's toe box.
Vhawg likes this.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

If that won't work for you give this a try, if you don't want to lower the pegs.

Suzuki V-Strom Shifter Relocation Extension

I wear a size 9 Sidi Sympatex but also have wider foot pegs. The extender works for me.

This is another solution.

SW-MOTECH Adjustable Folding Gear Shift Lever For Suzuki DL650 V-Strom '12 - '13 - TwistedThrottle.com

post #4 of 17 Old 10-23-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Good advise. Going out to the garage now to try and adjust the shifter up a little. Hopefully this will be enough. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Keep Calm, Fly-fish
Farkles last to first: MFW Hwy pegs, Russell Daylong, Givi 3D604 tank bag, Motech Pegs, Madstad bracket&adv windshield, Tuono mirrors, Uclear HBC200 headset, E45 topcase, Cree driving lights w/Motech brackets,14T Sprocket, bar riser, E21 panniers, Stich heated grips/outlet, EB PC8, RR Fork Brace, Kouba link, Barkbusters, SW-Motech Centerstand/Skidplate/Crash Bars.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Even with normal boots, the Zook has a close fitting shift lever - not a whole lot of room to fit boots made from at least 2, or 3 cow's worth of leather.....good luck! Post up your solution.

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."
post #6 of 17 Old 10-23-2013, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Well, took me two minutes to adjust the shifter up, probably raised about 1/2 inch. At max adjustment up unless I disconnect from the shaft and raised it up some more. Going to go back over and pick up those boots to try them with this adjustment. Hopefully that will work.

Keep Calm, Fly-fish
post #7 of 17 Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Purchased the full Combat Sidi boots size 43. Did not try riding the bike yet, but will tomorrow. Planning a ride with friends tomorrow, so hopefully the snow will hold off. Still considering adjusting the foot pegs depending on how well the shoe box fits. Hard to tell with the bike on the centerstand. BTW, can't believe how hard and thick these boots are! Glad I bought them now so I will have the winter slogging around the house with them. Plan to put them in some hot water and work them as well. Great heavy looking boot though. So now that I'm commited, will have to adapt the bike to the boot, if that makes any sense.

Keep Calm, Fly-fish
post #8 of 17 Old 10-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

No problem to move the shifter up a spline on the shaft.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-23-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRider View Post
No problem to move the shifter up a spline on the shaft.
I will probably do that in the morning before we go for a ride. Since I will be wearing/trying these new boots, would be wise to make the adjustments first. I felt the need to switch my boots because the top of my foot felt like I had a broken tarsal bone, led to believe that it is the way I shift with my semi flexible boots. I tend to curl my toes up instead of using a flat foot and pivot at the ankle to shift. Assume a strained ligament is the culprit. Hopefully these boots and a better shifting angle will cure my issue.
Thank you for the feedback.

Keep Calm, Fly-fish
post #10 of 17 Old 10-24-2013, 01:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had the same issue with my new Sidi Canyon boots on my 07 DL650 a few years ago. They will soften up and fit under the shifter after they break in a bit.
Soaking the boots in water is a good call also. I never felt the need to adjust my shifter. My feet are an 11/45.
I eventually replaced my stock footpegs with the SW Motech wider, adjustable footpegs, and they are a much better platform.
Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode