Don't know what happened? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 10-20-2013, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Don't know what happened?

So I rode my back home from work and it started raining very heavily and myself and the bike got soaked. I rode in the rain for about 20 to 30 minutes of a torrential downpour. I parked in my garage and drove the car for the next week and a half. Yesterday I lubed the chain up and hopped on and the front brakes were definitely rubbing as were the rear, I could just hear the pads resting on the disks as the bike was moving. Anybody experience this or know why this happened? I rode it to work this morning and when I got to work it wasn't doing it. The breaks worked just fine. Thanks for the help.

2013 DL650 Happy cake day bike! (May13-May14) 10k stronger!
Farkles
Suzuki hand guards
Suzuki lower cowling
OEM Aluminum Suzuki panniers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sounds like a thin layer of rust on the disks that quickly wore off when ridden again for the first time. Some cars seem to do this more than others. I've had it happen on the Strom too.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Geology Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkayak1 View Post
Sounds like a thin layer of rust on the disks that quickly wore off when ridden again for the first time. Some cars seem to do this more than others. I've had it happen on the Strom too.
This is correct info. A thin layer of rust can build up and will get worn off after a few miles.

post #4 of 20 Old 10-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

And it sounds just like worn out pads until the rotors scrub themselves clean again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 20 Old 10-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

This has happened to me several times in the past on several vehicles. Just more noticeable on a motorcycle.
post #6 of 20 Old 10-21-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks fellas for the response! Glad it's nothing major.

Farkles
Suzuki hand guards
Suzuki lower cowling
post #7 of 20 Old 10-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

It's normal and common. It's part of the reason you should never wash a vehicle and then park it.

I always run a few miles up the road and back after washing my car or any of the bikes. On the car I then just park it in the garage; but on the bikes I lube the chain and put a large fan on the floor next to the bike to ensure the rotors, brakes, and any void areas that can trap water are dried out.

If I park right after the rain I generally dry the bike off including the rotors, and then try to ride it briefly as soon as possible after the weather breaks to ensure it is dry.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
It's normal and common. It's part of the reason you should never wash a vehicle and then park it.

I always run a few miles up the road and back after washing my car or any of the bikes. On the car I then just park it in the garage; but on the bikes I lube the chain and put a large fan on the floor next to the bike to ensure the rotors, brakes, and any void areas that can trap water are dried out.

If I park right after the rain I generally dry the bike off including the rotors, and then try to ride it briefly as soon as possible after the weather breaks to ensure it is dry.
I will have to keep that in mind next time this happened, however I didn't have time to do any of this had I known. Thanks.

Farkles
Suzuki hand guards
Suzuki lower cowling
post #9 of 20 Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post

Why would a motorcycle rotor require such pampering when car rotors clearly do not? Doesn't damage anything, just makes a little noise when restarted.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by dkayak1; 10-21-2013 at 10:36 PM.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by undednubz View Post
So I rode my back home from work and it started raining very heavily and myself and the bike got soaked. I rode in the rain for about 20 to 30 minutes of a torrential downpour. I parked in my garage and drove the car for the next week and a half. Yesterday I lubed the chain up
On a separate note it is a good idea to lube that chain right after any ride in the rain. Rain does a real number on the lube so replenishing it right afterwords is a good way to help the chain last longer.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 200,000+ km, 125,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode