Bestem 929 install - quick wiring question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-16-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Bestem 929 install - quick wiring question

So I got the bestem 929 top box as a birthday gift (yay!) and will be doing the wiring for it shortly. I got the box without the optional led running light strip, so I have purchased that from Bestem and will be adding it. I also purchased their wiring harness (with the quick disconnect) and the eastern beaver tail light kit (version 2, which I will be connecting as version 1).

The instructions for everything is pretty clear, but I am trying to figure something out with the V2 tail light kit from EB... the instructions state:

Version 2 is made for brakelight modulators like the BackofXP which require a brakelight input and output plus ground. The red wire is the brakelight input from the bike and the purple wire is the output to the brakelight bulb.

You can use the Version 2 adapter as a Version 1 if you connect the red and purple wires together. These are the brakelight input and outputs designed for a modulator requiring these. If you're not using them for that type of modulator simply connect them together and your normal brakelight function will be restored.

To then use an auxiliary brakelight, connect its wire to the junction of the red and purple.

Perfect! That's why I got it, because I want to add a modulator later, but I'm just not sure about the last bit. What is the best type of connector to make this type of junction connection? I got posi-locks for all the normal connections, but I'm not sure how to do the junction. Should I just twist them together and put some electrical tape over them??

Or should I go to the store and get a "posi tap"? Only problem is I don't know where to buy posi-locks locally and I don't really want to wait!! Ideas? I'm pretty newbish with electrical stuff but I'm trying to learn... I have no soldering equipment either and I've never done any soldering. Solderless would be preferred.

2012 V-Strom 650 Adventure
1982 Suzuki GS650L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

This is how mine is set up. I used a posi-tap on the purple EB wire to tap the purple EB wire into the top box wire I had connected via a posi-lock with the red. You can see a picture this in the walk-through thread.

Apparantly I can't link to the thread or post pictures anymore since I don't have enough posts, so you'll have to find that on your own I guess.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exzachtly1 View Post
So I got the bestem 929 top box as a birthday gift (yay!) and will be doing the wiring for it shortly. I got the box without the optional led running light strip, so I have purchased that from Bestem and will be adding it. I also purchased their wiring harness (with the quick disconnect) and the eastern beaver tail light kit (version 2, which I will be connecting as version 1).

The instructions for everything is pretty clear, but I am trying to figure something out with the V2 tail light kit from EB... the instructions state:

Version 2 is made for brakelight modulators like the BackofXP which require a brakelight input and output plus ground. The red wire is the brakelight input from the bike and the purple wire is the output to the brakelight bulb.

You can use the Version 2 adapter as a Version 1 if you connect the red and purple wires together. These are the brakelight input and outputs designed for a modulator requiring these. If you're not using them for that type of modulator simply connect them together and your normal brakelight function will be restored.

To then use an auxiliary brakelight, connect its wire to the junction of the red and purple.

Perfect! That's why I got it, because I want to add a modulator later, but I'm just not sure about the last bit. What is the best type of connector to make this type of junction connection? I got posi-locks for all the normal connections, but I'm not sure how to do the junction. Should I just twist them together and put some electrical tape over them??

Or should I go to the store and get a "posi tap"? Only problem is I don't know where to buy posi-locks locally and I don't really want to wait!! Ideas? I'm pretty newbish with electrical stuff but I'm trying to learn... I have no soldering equipment either and I've never done any soldering. Solderless would be preferred.
You must use some type of mechanical connection, like a connector, or solder. It would be a bit hokey, but you could get a small twist connector that is used for sprinkler systems or buried accent lighting wires and twist all three wires together.

Something like this is probably the best you could do with a twisty:

Trex DeckLighting 18-Guage Gel Filled Wire Nuts (10-Pack)-5449200 at The Home Depot

Wrap tightly with electrical tape when done to prevent it from vibrating loose.

You really should buy a cheap soldering iron, solder and some shrink tube- it is less ideal than a posi-lock as solder joints are prone to cracking from vibration, but it is better than a twist lock if you are in a bind. A little practice is all it takes, and you will have a new skill.

Last edited by Kelly2012; 10-16-2013 at 07:13 PM.

post #4 of 18 Old 10-16-2013, 10:14 PM

I disagree with you above poster, if a solder joint cracks, it wasn't good in the first place. Also, those twist connectors are code for homes and used for navy, uh, stuff. If those are used properly, a good choice,

Last edited by danhikeski; 10-16-2013 at 10:17 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

I can't disagree with your statement in this application. Plus, I solder a lot! As an aside, a while back I worked on fuel pressure sensors for NASA- they would not allow surface mount components- we had to thru-hole everything.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 18 Old 10-17-2013, 02:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

I realized that I can still attach images just not include them as code. So here's a picture of how mine is wired. As similarly described above, I have the purple wire from the EB version 2 adapter tapping into the EB-red/box-brake-brown to form the version 1 connection.

I really like the posi-locks and taps as it makes wiring super easy to install and uninstall later when you're ready to add the modulator. So, personally, I'd wait another week or so, order the super duper headlight relay kit or an accessory adapter if you haven't already from EB, and just add on some posi-locks and posi-taps with the order. Otherwise, Google can give you some good videos on splicing and tapping wires to, or do what the other posters above have said.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EB_tail_v2_wired.jpg (41.1 KB, 45 views)
post #7 of 18 Old 10-17-2013, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Cool, thanks guys. I will probably either go for a twist connector or try a different type of tap connector. I have seen these other styles of connectors on Amazon called "3M T-Tap Connector" (I can't post links yet either) that look like they would do the trick. They are available on prime (2 day shipping!) and sell for about 10 bucks for 100 of them.

Only question - what is the gauge of the eastern beaver wires? 18? If no one knows I will measure when I get home with my stripping tool but it'd be nice to order from work today.

Garmooza, thank you for the pics. My setup will probably end up being very similar to that until I get the modulator.

1982 Suzuki GS650L
post #8 of 18 Old 10-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Cool, thanks guys. I will probably either go for a twist connector or try a different type of tap connector. I have seen these other styles of connectors on Amazon called "3M T-Tap Connector" (I can't post links yet either) that look like they would do the trick. They are available on prime (2 day shipping!) and sell for about 10 bucks for 100 of them.

Only question - what is the gauge of the eastern beaver wires? 18? If no one knows I will measure when I get home with my stripping tool but it'd be nice to order from work today.

Garmooza, thank you for the pics. My setup will probably end up being very similar to that until I get the modulator.
EB wires are 18 GA. The problem is that the Bestem wires are tiny. I don't think T-taps will work with the Bestem wires.

Last edited by Kelly2012; 10-17-2013 at 11:21 AM.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-17-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Gah, I see. How about this type of approach? How To Tap into factory wiring for power or ground. - YouTube

just splitting open the wire to be tapped into, running the other wire through it and twisting together? Seems pretty solid to me...

1982 Suzuki GS650L
post #10 of 18 Old 10-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Gah, I see. How about this type of approach? How To Tap into factory wiring for power or ground. - YouTube

just splitting open the wire to be tapped into, running the other wire through it and twisting together? Seems pretty solid to me...
That is a fine approach if you follow up with solder. You could also get some butt-splices, twist the wires together and crimp. You are already making a butt splice with the EB harness, no need to tap anything if you don't want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode