Stuff in my Fuel Tank. My stuff - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Stuff in my Fuel Tank. My stuff

I imagine that most of us have done something to our rides that make us feel a little less intelligent. Well I have just done another and must now suffer the the agony of fixing my stupidity. Yesterday I was adding a bit of fuel additive to my tractor and power washer. Being as I was by my Glee decided to add a bit to its fuel. I removed the cap from the additive placing the cap and that little flat inter washer/seal ( you know, the one that keeps the bottle from leaking when placed on its side ) in my left hand as I lift the fuel tank cover with my right. Now with the tank lid open a start pouring a measured amount into the fuel tank. As I'm pouring the fuel tank lid begins to close. So in all my wisdom I reach with my left hand to grab it. Sooo now you have the picture. That little white plastics coated paper washer flys right into my fuel tank.
OMG..... What now.

I now have the tank off and emptied except for about 1/2 Gallon I haven't gotten out. But NO small plastic costed paper came out. I think I'm in a bit of a mess here. Is there a way into the take without tearing it up? Any other constructive suggestion on how to retrieve from the tank ? I'm pretty much at a loss on what to do next? Maybe let the remaining fuel evaporate and see if I can shake it out then. I would sure hate to have to purchase a new tank. :-((

ATGATT.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timbercat

Old and Grey:mrgreen:
Ride as if there is no tomorrow. :[B]thumbup[/B]:

2012 Glee (2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS
2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 kawasaki KLR 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 08:44 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
It can stay in there and probably do no harm. There is a screen at the fuel pickup at the base of the fuel pump. Then there is a fine fuel filter at the high pressure end. If you really want to go get it, do that by using the big access hole and take the fuel pump out. I'd get a new fuel pump gasket ahead of time. You are not the first person to report doing that here, or the second, or the third, etc..

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
It can stay in there and probably do no harm. There is a screen at the fuel pickup at the base of the fuel pump. Then there is a fine fuel filter at the high pressure end. If you really want to go get it, do that by using the big access hole and take the fuel pump out. I'd get a new fuel pump gasket ahead of time. You are not the first person to report doing that here, or the second, or the third, etc..
Thanks for the response. I guess I'm just worried I'll be out on a trip and find my fuel line or pump blocked? I don't really care if it stays if it's not going to screw things up. I wish I was sure what the actually material is. Think I'll go purchase another container and check it out.

Timbercat

2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 kawasaki KLR 650

post #4 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

I did the same thing- left it in there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
. I'd get a new fuel pump gasket ahead of time. c..
I just checked Bike Bandit for that gasket and their layout doesn't show one. How insane is that.

Timbercat

2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 kawasaki KLR 650
post #6 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Why not put some non flammable liquid in the tank, eg water to try and rinse / flush it out? And try it a couple of times. Then use some water removal fluid when you put petrol back in, being careful with any bits that might fall into the tank
post #7 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 09:28 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbercat View Post
I just checked Bike Bandit for that gasket and their layout doesn't show one. How insane is that.
It's an O-ring, Suzuki part number 15201-35F00. The Bikebandit part number is

The old one will probably work okay if you don't damage it when removing it.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #8 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Leave it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode