rear shock & spring--front spring replacement? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-15-2013, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

rear shock & spring--front spring replacement?

Since my total weight, including TRAX metal boxes, riding gear and misc. stuff comes to around 350 pounds...plus or minus...I think I would like to replace my front springs along with the rear shock and spring. I do not think that my 2012 650 was made to carry this kind of weight.
I have contacted Ricor and their rear shock/spring looks interesting. Since I am not a shock "expert" one does not know how any of this stuff actually works.
I would appreciate any insight(s) regarding how do improve the suspension of this bike...other than trading it in on a new 1000!

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Keep in mind that you are talking about two different, but related, things. The spring rate must be suitable for carrying the weight.
SonicSprings.com

And, the damping slows the movement of the suspension. There are two or three types of damping. Rebound damping regulates the speed the shock will extend to its normal length after being compressed. The stock shock has an adjustment for this, as does the Ricor shock. Compression damping regulates the speed the shock shortens when you go over a bump or use the brakes. This can be split into high velocity compression (speed the damper moves, not the speed the bike is going) such as hitting a pothole, and low velocity compression such as using the brakes. Only shocks priced higher than the Ricor have compression damping adjustments.

The coil-over shock combines both actions in one package, the spring and the damper. Ricor is one of several sources for a superior shock, and like most (not all) offer a choice of springs to suit the weight carries. What does Ricor say about your 350+# on their spring rated for 271# - 330#? Can they install a stiffer spring? RaceTech can put a stiffer spring on the original shock and also upgrade the damping, local suspension shops can change the spring, and other aftermarket shocks may offer a more suitable combination. Ricor might be the most for the money, but if it isn't suitable for your use, then it won't work well for you.
Here's the Elka shock, $800 without remote preload, maybe less with only two way compression damping, and you would need to specify the weight carried to get the right spring.

For the front, put in springs suitable for your loaded riding weight, then see if the front damping is OK for you. Ricor's Intiminator damping valves work well. Luggage and a passenger don't put weight on the front, so not a concern here.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.

Last edited by PTRider; 10-15-2013 at 01:33 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

I would go with sonic 1.0 springs and maybe Cogent drop ins with the right oil for the front. Have Cogent to a basic rework on the OEM rear shock with a 13.4 or stiffer spring. Or get a fancy shock, Cogent and many others will sell you $700 or more custom made shock. I personally rather spend less on an OEM rebuild/upgrade.

You might want to just do the springs first and see if that is enough. I was surprised how much the springs help by themselves.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 07:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

300# - I put Sonic (1.1, if I'm remembering correctly) in the forks. Big difference with brake dive and stability. You can also fiddle with different weights of fork fluid. The Sonics are reasonably priced - less than $100.

I'm still riding on the stock rear. If I ever do, I'll probably upgrade the spring first, then the shock as funds permit. The spring is holding up the weight - the shock is just controlling it's "bounciness."
On other bikes I've gotten more out of the rear by lifting it with shorter links - that changes the geometry of the back end and decreases your leverage on the rear suspension. It also raises the seat heat (which I wanted) and makes the steering quicker (not very noticeably, IMO).

I think the bike wasn't made to carry #300+ lbs, too, but then I read about all these people riding two up loaded with gear... and a disproportionate amount of Strom riders are big guys, probably because the ergos make the Strom one of the few bikes that 'fit.'
post #5 of 7 Old 10-19-2013, 06:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

I dropped in the Ricor's on the forks and kept the stock springs in on my 12 some time ago. I also purchased their shock at the same time. I weigh 215 lbs so I got the heavier spring on the shock. I like good suspension and this works pretty well, very happy now with the ride.

Steve.

14 Super Tenere ES
12 Burgman Exec
Former 12 Glee owner
post #6 of 7 Old 10-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

I used 0.95 Sonics up front (2009 wee) and I'm 240 out of the shower. Your rear boxes should not enter into the equation much. I bought the $800 Elka and was not happy. It's a great shock, but somehow Elka screwed it up x 2. First it was totally nonfunctional, sent it back and now my suspension mechanic says it has barely enough rebound dampening. Elka was not very responsive. Blair was. Still it shouldn't go like this. Initially it came with the wrong spring also.

2009 DL650
post #7 of 7 Old 10-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush View Post
I would go with sonic 1.0 springs and maybe Cogent drop ins with the right oil for the front. Have Cogent to a basic rework on the OEM rear shock with a 13.4 or stiffer spring. Or get a fancy shock, Cogent and many others will sell you $700 or more custom made shock. I personally rather spend less on an OEM rebuild/upgrade.

You might want to just do the springs first and see if that is enough. I was surprised how much the springs help by themselves.
I'm very fortunate to live about 30 miles from Cogent. I've had Rick do the suspension on my '02 Bonneville, my '06 Scrambler, and my '08 KLR. As soon as he gets in the springs, I'll have him install drop-in cartridges and 1.0 springs. Over the winter, I'll have him refurb the stock shock and re-spring it to my weight.

Nothing improves the enjoyment of the ride than a well tuned suspension. New "sneakers" and "stoppers" helps too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode