Engine noise on 2012 (Japan) model. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-13-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Question Engine noise on 2012 (Japan) model.

Hi all.

I would like your opinions on engine noise please.

2 days ago I traded in my Kawasaki W400 for a 2012 vstrom (Japan-market model) here in Japan. I guess there are very few mechanical differences apart from sprocket/ratio etc between Japan / Euro / U.S. models.

Whilst my W400 had a distinctly mechanical sound, it always sounded sweet, smooth and knock-free. It had 8,000 kilos on the clock when I traded it in. Obviously, t is a parallel twin engine on the W400, not a V.

Having test-ridden both Japan / Euro - U.S. models of the V-Strom, neither of which made a knocking noise (I did not go over 4,000 rpm and accelerated gently to 4,000 as the bikes were sub-1,000 kilos themselves), I ordered a Japan model. It came with 400 kilometres on the clock, 6 months old.

Yesterday I noticed that there seems to be a "knocking noise"... or does there?
I am not used to the sound of a v-twin, and therefore I may be a little paranoid about my new bike's engine noise.
Apart from what seems to be a knocking noise, the bike sounds utterly sweet and smooth.
I have not ridden it over 4,000 rpm either.

To those of you who know much more about what engine noise to expect generally from different engine types..... please give me your opinion. Even a very, very brief opinion would be welcomed. I cannot believe that a main Suzuki dealer in Japan would intentionally sell me a bike with a knocking crank etc.

It was, however, the test-ride bike, and those 400 kilos were put on the bike (on a short course near the dealer) by people who rode it as a test-ride bike.

There is no "knocking" noise when cruising at about 3500 rpm, only on acceleration.

Thank you. I hope I have mentioned relevant info in this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-13-2013, 09:23 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
See if it sounds like the one at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQGcm5eqwSY starting at about 1:55. Many speak of a knocking (not pinging) sound at lower rpms. What are your sprocket sizes?

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 4 Old 10-13-2013, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thank you Greywolf, I will watch the video.
I have to check the sprocket sizes to answer your question, which I cannot do right now.

post #4 of 4 Old 10-13-2013, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thank you Greywolf

Watched video and tried to edit my post, but failed.
At 1:55 I cannot tell much from the video, but that is not the sound I mentioned.
At 2:05 onward, with the light but quick throttling of the engine though... that sounds like mine.
Perhaps I need more time to get used to the V Twin sound?
Time to take the bike out again...

I welcome all thoughts from those who have noticed this sound....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
engine , knock , noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode