New owner, parts questions. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-13-2013, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

New owner, parts questions.

Hello

I just traded from a Harley sportster to a 2012 dl650 adventure. I love the bike so far. Right off the bat though I realize I need a skid plate to cover the oil filter, and some sort of top box or backrest for my wife.

I see Suzuki sells both items but they're awfully pricey. Is that the best route or are there more cost effective aftermarket options?

Also, I'm reading here that I cannot add short risers like Rox without extending control cables. Is that correct?

Thanks for the help!

Blake
2012 DL650 Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-13-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Boo. I found a handful of "sissy bar" type passenger back rests but apparently the 2012 650 has a different mounting plate so nothing seems to fit what I have.

Blake
2012 DL650 Adventure
post #3 of 18 Old 10-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Many options for luggage, take a look at this site or the ADv site for lots of photos of different combinations, also do a search.

From what I've read with the ABS model you can get away with risers that are less than an inch, but with anything more, you will have to replace the front brake line to the master cylinder at the handlebars. That isn't a real problem but does cost some money.

I've been thinking of adding a riser to my 2013 DL650 but since I put a peg lowering hit on the bike, the handlebar height seems to be fairly decent so I may not add the riser, but this winter I'm going to pick up the shortest height I can find, as I want to change out the stock seat and that will also affect the handlebar height. With respect to risers, I've been doing some research on what works and doesn't work.

post #4 of 18 Old 10-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

I added the Tusk Handlebar riser kit from

Tusk Handlebar Riser Kit | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

these guys, 30 MM, after a quick shot with some flat black rattle can. I have the orange non ADV 2012 and they worked fine, after rearranging clutch cable a bit. Maybe go 15 MM if you're concerned about cable length, cheap to try.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Yeah I should put the skid plate on. It's been off for a year. Besides protecting the oil filter, the Yann skidplate made my bike recognizable to the vehicle sensors at traffic lights.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Congratulations!

Me realizing that my wife's comfort is directly proportional to the distance she'll sit on the bike combined with the back rest selection out there caused me to get a corbin seat with a back rest. She loves it and can sit there all day.

I've done some 6+ hour rides and don't feel the seat one bit.

'13DL650-A
post #7 of 18 Old 10-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesler View Post
Yeah I should put the skid plate on. It's been off for a year. Besides protecting the oil filter, the Yann skidplate made my bike recognizable to the vehicle sensors at traffic lights.
I never thought of that....
post #8 of 18 Old 10-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Look at the Coocases at Twisted Throttle. They make an attachable backrest for the topcase. You can buy a top rack plate that will match the Coocase base. I just ordered a Coocase. I read that all you need to do to attch it to the OEM top rack is drill holes. I am going to try that first. Can't see spending $100 to replace my Adventure top rack.

2012 DL650A Adventure, Yoshimura R-77 3/4 exhaust, Sargent World Sport Performance Plus seat, ProTaper SE Raptor bars, SW-Motech 25mm risers, ProGrip Grips, Suzuki handguards, Tuono mirrors, Givi skid plate, Adventure Tech fork brace, GPS mount, peg lowering kit, auxiliary power shelf, SW-Motech convertible foot pegs, SW-Motech extended shift lever, SVRacing frame sliders, Garmin Zumo 660, MRA Xcreen, Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails, Eastern Beaver headlight relay, Coocase V37

Currently in the United Kingdom and looking for great rides. PM if you have suggestions.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Or buy a duffle bag, put a piece of plywood under it, and attach to the rack with bolts & wingnuts. It comes off easily, and if you fill with sweatshirts or other soft stuff, it makes a very comfortable backrest. This solution is my wife's favorite.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

I use Duratool plastic equipment cases from MCM Electronics as luggage. If I recall correctly, the side cases were $34.00 each, and the top case was $24.00. They aren't up to Pelican standards, but they are very strong, and they are waterproof. You have to make some sort of mount for them; Twisted Throttle sells a mounting system for Pelican cases, but the mount would cost more than the cases. I just made my own.

Here's what they look like: https://www.stromtrooper.com/members/...nt-system.html

"No matter where you go, there you are."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode