2100 mile of Utah Motocamping on 2013- bike was perfect! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-09-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2100 mile of Utah Motocamping on 2013- bike was perfect!

My little brother and I just finished our first extended moto-camping trip to Utah- we did 7 days of touring both on road and offroad (mostly gravel side roads but some rougher stuff to get to non-government shutdown campsites in the bush). In all I rode 2100+ miles on my 2013 DL650. I am extremely happy with the performance of that bike for this type of trip. On twisty asphalt it was super responsive and fun, on superslab it ran at 80-90 mph for hours on end, it bumped over sharp rock roads on the stock rubber with no problem and I felt comfortable for 300+ miles per day on the stock seat with an Alaskan sheep cover on it.

I'll see if I can post up photos of my new leaner camping rig (we threw away or gave away stuff we didn't use during our ride- so my gear got lighter as we went) and if you're interested I can try to do some type of ride report about our adventure.

I'm hooked on the bike camping thing now and can't wait to get back on the road for another adventure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'd love to hear about the ride... also pics if you have 'em. I live in Salt Lake City and ride to SD on occasion. Meetup some time? Here or there...
post #3 of 11 Old 10-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via AIM to vegashotwheeler
Interested in hearing what gear worked for you.
By the way Im right in the middle in Vegas if you guys decide to meet up!
Mike

2007 Blue DL650 V-Strom - running out of farkle's to do so bought the VEE
2006 SILVER DL1000 - Running out of Farkles also!!!
2017 EX300 Kawasaki Ninja
Las Vegas, NV

post #4 of 11 Old 10-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarambler View Post
My little brother and I just finished our first extended moto-camping trip to Utah- we did 7 days of touring both on road and offroad (mostly gravel side roads but some rougher stuff to get to non-government shutdown campsites in the bush). In all I rode 2100+ miles on my 2013 DL650. I am extremely happy with the performance of that bike for this type of trip. On twisty asphalt it was super responsive and fun, on superslab it ran at 80-90 mph for hours on end, it bumped over sharp rock roads on the stock rubber with no problem and I felt comfortable for 300+ miles per day on the stock seat with an Alaskan sheep cover on it.

I'll see if I can post up photos of my new leaner camping rig (we threw away or gave away stuff we didn't use during our ride- so my gear got lighter as we went) and if you're interested I can try to do some type of ride report about our adventure.

I'm hooked on the bike camping thing now and can't wait to get back on the road for another adventure.
Absolutely post pics Always awesome to see other owners having an Adventure and Fun on their Vstroms. Sounds like the trip was fantastic.

Would be interested in seeing what you used for camping gear, what you feel was most needed and what wasn't. My brother and I are currently trying to put some camping kits together as well to start getting away to camp off the beaten track on the DL650's.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

A ride report would be great. Also, please post pictures!
post #6 of 11 Old 10-09-2013, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Ok guys, I tried to post a photo from the trip but I haven't got 50 posts yet so I was barred. My brother did a day by day ride report on his blog (google motoaway and you'll find his blog). I'm also going to try to do a write up on the adv site where I was given a lot of advice and feel obligated to contribute.

Thanks for the offers to hook up and ride- if I'm heading that way again (and I know I will because we just scratched the surface of Utah) I will contact you all- and if you're ever down here in SD please contact me if you'd like to go for a ride. I'm always up for a piece of pie in Santa Ysabel.

Just wanted to say a couple things about the ride:

1. Utah is kind of mindblowing- I had no idea it had that much to offer in terms of riding and outdoorsy stuff. I'm a California born surfer through and through- but I have to say, if I wasn't chained to the ocean I'd probably seriously consider that state as a new home.

2. The Vstrom is an amazing bike. The range, fuel economy, comfort and capabilities of it continually put a smile on my face. And the thing is a mule! I packed it up and it just kept asking for more. I'm really happy with my choice.

3. Getting out on the road and meeting other riders was a bonus that I hadn't expected. There truly is a nice brotherhood (and sisterhood) of riders out there- we met all kinds of riders on all kinds of bikes who wanted to stop and chat and share road advice. I'm new to all of this and have to say that there are some great folks out there and it was a pleasure to make my introduction into the riding family.

4. Finally- of all the mods I put on the bike I have to say that my favorites were the following: Alaskan Sheepskin seat cover (so comfortable- warm on cool days and cool on warm days... weird but true), Givi tank bag with the locking ring (held all kinds of stuff and was a snap to take on and off), Madstadt windscreen (It just worked for me- nice clean pocket of air to sit in- I wear earplugs so noise isn't an issue- I didn't experience buffeting). Oh and for camping- get the JetBoil that thing is awesome.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-10-2013, 12:17 AM

I'm a big fan of motocamping myself. It's not real convenient when I'm riding with my wife, but on long solo trips that is my preferred way to spend the night - except for the last night. I tend to pamper myself on the last night of rides that are longer than 3 nights if I have used a tent on the previous nights. From this summer...

1381378316435.jpg

1381378572485.jpg

Glad you had a good time.

G26

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #8 of 11 Old 10-10-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Nice set up Ghost! I agree with you on the four nights of camping and 1 night of hotel rhythm- that's what we figured out on our ride. After four nights in the dirt, a hot shower, a bed and a cold beer (or 3) were what we needed. I like your set up on the 'strom, simple and clean. Mine ended up kind of looking like Sanford and Sons... god bless cargo nets! I'm doing a full write up but I can't put links on here so email me if you want the details.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

I did my first long trip on a cycle in a long time and it looks like the Ghost and I camped in the same area.
Spent two weeks on the road two nights in a hotel the rest camping.
I should of spent all the nights camping.

T-ville

Last edited by T-ville Trooper; 10-10-2013 at 08:35 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Good job, glad you had fun.

I typically post my photos on Smugmug (or photobucket, flikr, whatever) in an album, and then send the link to family and friends. You could do the same, and post the link here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode