Complete Headlight failure; point me in the right direction please - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-08-2013, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
BSK
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Question Complete Headlight failure; point me in the right direction please

Guys,

the other day I noticed that my headlights would randomly flicker and turn off especially when making Left turns. Well, yesterday the entire headlight stopped working.
I usually ride with my highbeams on all the time so the blue LED stopped working or was flickering prior to complete failure.

Having had this issue only during left turns makes me wonder if there is a loose connection somewhere. I looked but didnt see anything loose.

Any insights?

--

Stephan
DL650AL02 -> Barkbuster handguards, 12V outlet, Lee Whitehurst luggage racks, JCWhitney Topcase, 3M reflective tape, P3 lights, 52w LED fogs, forkbrace, Puig 5895h windshield... more to come!
Failures:
Chain and sprockets worn at 9100 miles, recommended to be replaced despite every 500 mile adjustment and lube =(
Entire wiring harness replaced at 9233miles by SEP after headlight failure
Rear shock busted at 9727miles
Bad burned oil smell since 9500miles found to be disconnected drain tube from airfilter housing
2nd chain done at 21.6k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...blems-not.html

2006 Vstrom 650

1999 Triumph Trophy 1200

2012 Vstrom 650 (current)
post #3 of 13 Old 10-08-2013, 12:36 PM
$tromtrooper

Check the 2 large white connectors on the wiring harness on top of the back side of the radiator shroud. They have barbed connections to the shroud from the engine side of the harness. I wound up snipping the barbs off with a good set of side cutters so I could get better access. Flex/wiggle them and see if the lights come on or flicker. If they do then separate them and check for browned/burned pins. Can't recall the pin numbers but they are side by side on the end of the connectors. Either connector will affect the headlights. Chances are you will need to do the Eastern Beaver headlight relay installation. Google headlight problems on Stromtrooper and VRSI you will find numerous threads on this subject. I did the fix on my 06' WeeStrom and then moved it to my new to me 11' as a preventative measure based my experience on my 06'. I posted on this a few months ago.

Grey Wolfe will probably offer some advice on this subject if he sees it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSK View Post
Guys,

the other day I noticed that my headlights would randomly flicker and turn off especially when making Left turns. Well, yesterday the entire headlight stopped working.
I usually ride with my highbeams on all the time so the blue LED stopped working or was flickering prior to complete failure.

Having had this issue only during left turns makes me wonder if there is a loose connection somewhere. I looked but didnt see anything loose.

Any insights?

post #4 of 13 Old 10-08-2013, 12:52 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The usual culprit is the starter button switch. Electrical | Black Lab Adventures is on a 2007 model but it's probably similar. The radiator shroud connectors and large connector(s) in the left fairing are also possibilities. So is the hi/lo switch on the left handlebar. The best way to locate the problem is to check the wires for power on both sides of each connection. Is it just the high beam that cuts out or is it both beams? The answer to that will indicate which wires need checking.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #5 of 13 Old 11-05-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
BSK
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thumbs down

its both that actually stopped working. the only thing lit were the positioning lights.
took the bike to the dealer as I bought into the extended suzuki warranty with the zero deductable.

Dealership called me on Friday stating that they couldnt find anything wrong. I advised that I rode blacked out on the interstate on Monday and that there is something wrong. They kept the bike and I guess on Saturday they found the culprit: fried wiring harness.
We will see what the suzuki warranty team will say. I've had nothing but bad luck with this bike sadly so far.

--

Stephan
DL650AL02 -> Barkbuster handguards, 12V outlet, Lee Whitehurst luggage racks, JCWhitney Topcase, 3M reflective tape, P3 lights, 52w LED fogs, forkbrace, Puig 5895h windshield... more to come!
Failures:
Chain and sprockets worn at 9100 miles, recommended to be replaced despite every 500 mile adjustment and lube =(
Bad burned oil smell since 9500miles found to be disconnected drain tube from airfilter housing
2nd chain done at 21.6k
post #6 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
BSK
Stromthusiast!

Garage
so suzuki extended warranty pickedup the tab on replacing the entire wiring harness on the bike.
The bike is unmodified with the exception of p3 lights =(

--

Stephan
Failures:
2nd chain done at 21.6k
post #7 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Sounds like the dealer if fixing a hundred dollar problem with a $2500 fix if they are replacing the entire harness.

I guess if your not qualified to find and fix you just replace everything.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

'09 Wee, Orange. Uh, Er...White, No, Wait, ORANGE!

" I like my Motorcycle's Loud and my Firearms Quiet." -Me
post #8 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 11:44 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I wonder what figure would be arrived at by totaling the price of individual parts, much less the labor involved in putting them together.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #9 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Reaper View Post
Sounds like the dealer if fixing a hundred dollar problem with a $2500 fix if they are replacing the entire harness.

I guess if your not qualified to find and fix you just replace everything.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
They've had his bike for a MONTH. I'm gonna assume they attempted to replace the switch.

2012 DL650 Adventure - Black
OEM Hand guards, OEM Heated grips, Stroma Center Stand and Shifter, SV Racing Frame and Swingarm sliders, Eastern Beaver power distribution, Skene Visibility Lights
post #10 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele2048 View Post
They've had his bike for a MONTH. I'm gonna assume they attempted to replace the switch.

I seriously doubt it. Dealers typically do not try to save money on parts and many mechanics I met while wrenching for money were basically parts changers. Rogue Reaper is likely correct and my Vee did the same thing. Couple hours cleaning up the starter switch that controls the lights and it was fixed. No new parts required. No wiring harness. Just some diss-assembly work of the switch and clean up with a pencil eraser. Its been 2 years since I fixed mine and lights still worked last night.

It didn't take them a month either. I sat for a month until somebody got embarrassed at looking at it and they repaired it.

We have had a total of one wiring harness replaced on this forum that I am aware of. Randyo is a maniac who rides all winter long in the snow and the road salt got to his.

But, don't sweat it. Its fixed...hopefully. Assuming the switch was replaced also....which is not part of the wiring harness.

2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed

Last edited by Scott E. Bonds; 12-05-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode