Must have mods? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 10-04-2013, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Must have mods?

Hey guys,

Just bought a left over '12 Wee Adventure and I am wondering what are some of the must have mods you guys would recommend getting to increase the experience of riding the V-Strom.

I have had the bike for a month now and to be honest I can't really find anything that would need modding.

Don't get me wrong, I have a countless list of farkels that I want to order. With the first ones being bark busters and hand warmer grips.

But for the time being I want to start with mods that are a must have.

For example, does the '12 model need the fork brace?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 10-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Get on your bike and ride west for a few days using back roads as much as possible. Each time you stop, you'll tell yourself: I wish I had...

Make a list. You'll love your first trip. The second trip will be much better, and so on.

Don't wait too long. Winter is around the corner.

It's all about the ride :mrgreen:
post #3 of 38 Old 10-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Must use the search function........

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 38 Old 10-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

The fork brace did not do anything that I can tell. Caveat I don't know what I am talking about.

For me fit made a huge difference. I put on a tall seat, dropped the pegs, switched to big pegs and put on a dirt bike bar with bar risers. Now I the feel is perfect the the ride is a lot more fun for me.

2014 BMW F800gs

2011 TW200

2012 DL650 SOLD

2007 DL650a SOLD
post #5 of 38 Old 10-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Throttle lock and power outlet of you choice.

. . . . . BIKES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . DL650 FARKLES
2013 DL650 Adventure . . . . . . BB VPS, HT Center Stand,
2009 DR650, 2009 DRZ400 . . . .Kaoko, Oxford Grips.
2002 ZG1000, 1999 DR350 . . . .EB PC-8, ABS Switch &
-Some others long gone-. . . . . Headlight Relay Kit.
75&77 CB400F, 78 GS550 . . . . AdvTech Fork Brace,
---- First Bike ----. . . . . . . . . Peg Lowering Kit,
------ 1973 ------. . . . . . . . . Aux Shelf & Over Dash Shelf.
-- Suzuki T-500 --. . . . . . . . . E. G. Bash Plate & Hwy Pegs
post #6 of 38 Old 10-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Wider footpegs...

'12 DL650 ADV
'07 Victory Hammer
'06 Suzuki M50 (Traded)
post #7 of 38 Old 10-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

For most riders IMHO the only mod that is an absolute must is some sort of protection for the oil filter, and I believe this is important even for a bike used on pavement only. There is one situation posted on this forum some time back of an oil filter being holed by some debris on a paved road, with engine damage resulting.

There may be other musts for riders with special circumstances such as very short or very long legs, or for certain types or riding, such as a larger windscreen and luggage for long distance touring, heated grips for a rider doing a lot of cold weather riding, etc. etc.

However, this motorcycle is an excellent all around machine, one of the very best I have had of about 50, and for most uses I've found mine to be very capable and comfortable right from the factory. Thus, based on my experience with the bike I think there is only one mod that is an absolute must for most of us.

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net
post #8 of 38 Old 10-05-2013, 01:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

For me, and I know I'm not alone. ..crash bars. I've dropped this bike more than any bike I've owned in 20 plus years of riding. Its tall and top heavy. I'm not. After that...top box/storage of your choice, and power outlet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx.
post #9 of 38 Old 10-05-2013, 02:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

I just bought a blue '13 Tuesday and have been lurking this forum pretty heavily for the past couple months.

My first mod was to put on my Alaska leathers sheep skin. Makes the stock seat almost acceptable. Russell day long seat is in my future.

Tonight I just put on the footpeg lowering kit, mirror extenders, and fork brace from AdventureTech Super easy installs and great quality. I'm looking forward to this weekends ride through Yosemite to test em out.

I have OEM crash bars and the Suzuki bags on order (bags were free with this months promotion).

Still trying to decide on a bash plate, right now I am leaning toward the Enduro Guardian solution. Mainly because I know I will take this bike where it doesn't really belong, and that plate looks like the toughest option out there.

I'm am going to move my Racetech gold valves from my old bike soon, and will try to move the heated grips as well. I should do Barkbusters at some point before I get heavy off road... and a Scott's damper, and I really need to slow down the spending before my wife goes postal on me.

Really I guess it depends on what kind of riding you plan to do. I tend to put on about 20k miles a year, so I'm going to put on every conceivable upgrade for comfort and performance.

[URL="https://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/211578-california-idaho-lolo-motorway-magruder.html"]California to Idaho Adventure style[/URL]
[URL=http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478959]Taking America by Strom 2015[/URL]

-----------------------
Timing is everything.
post #10 of 38 Old 10-05-2013, 02:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Eastern Beaver H4 headlight relays. They'll stop your switch gear from exploding and blowing your hands clean off.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/dl650_v-strom/2011/strangedog/493573][IMG]http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/493573.png[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/dl650_v-strom/2006/strangedog/401455][IMG]http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/401455.png[/IMG][/URL]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode