Oil change with GIVI skid guard - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-01-2013, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Oil change with GIVI skid guard

Well today I did my first oil change since I installed the GIVI skid plate. I put on a new filter also. The GIVI is mounted with six 4mm allen headed screws and nuts. I screwed the four under engine bolts out and the two front side ones and it was off in 5 minutes. I drained the oil and installed a Hiflo HF138 oil filter. The Hiflo filters are a perfect fit and only a couple dollars from Amazon.com. The Hiflo takes only 7 ft lb of torque vs 14.5 ft lb for the Suzuki filter. It took a few minutes longer to attach the GIVI as I wanted to put anti-seize on the bolt threads.
The reason I posted this is many folks say the GIVI is tough or hard to get on and off and it takes about 10 minutes if you have installed the engine attachment brackets properly. The brackets stay right where they are and all you have to do to get the plate back on is lightly attach the front two bolts and rotate the plate up at the rear and put the bolts in. Then snug the six bolts down. Anti-seize is good to put on the threads as the bolts are under the engine and get tons of crud thrown on them.
The GIVI plate is perfect for my use. The V-Strom 650 isn't a dirt bike and I don't use it like it is. It's my everywhere transportation bike paved /gravel /dirt road /fire road but not no road. The plate has had a couple hard rock/limb hits that I could hear and suffered no damage. It protects the filter and front pipe plus gives the bike a "finished" look. Light weight too.
https://www.stromtrooper.com/attachme...1&d=1380658679

Last edited by TinMan2; 06-17-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

To me, the biggest irritation was dealing with those rubber washers. Some of them were stuck to the plate when I removed it; others weren't. They seem like they'd have a small enough ID to stay on the bolt threads, but it doesn't quite work that well for me. Might just have to use a dab of glue to keep them in place on the plate, then it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Kevin in VA

'12 DL650 (aka "Betty" - Shiro Nakama san-jū-go #035)
'07 DL650 (RIP "Grey Wind", totaled by an idiot driving the wrong way in traffic :cry
'70 CT90
'68 CD175
'74 CB500T
'68 CL450
post #3 of 8 Old 10-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Tinman2, perfect timing on your post. The Givi plate and eng. guard are going on my glee today. Very helpful indeed.

Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Timbercat

Old and Grey:mrgreen:
Ride as if there is no tomorrow. :[B]thumbup[/B]:

2012 Glee (2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS
2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 kawasaki KLR 650

post #4 of 8 Old 10-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarz21 View Post
To me, the biggest irritation was dealing with those rubber washers. Some of them were stuck to the plate when I removed it; others weren't. They seem like they'd have a small enough ID to stay on the bolt threads, but it doesn't quite work that well for me. Might just have to use a dab of glue to keep them in place on the plate, then it shouldn't be a problem anymore.
Yep. Pain in the arse. I had to remove my Givi skidplate recently when I was installing an aftermarket exhaust. I took a razor and cut thin strips of Gorilla Duct Tape and used 2 thin strips on each rubber washer to tape it to the top of the skid plate. It held them in place and really made it easier. As far as changing the oil/filter goes the skid plate can stay in place if you're just replacing the oil. Easy to get to the drain plug with the skid plate in place. When I changed my filter with the plate on the first time I made the mistake of removing a bunch of the tiny allen screws to remove the front portion of the plate. Next time I go to change the filter I *think* I will be able to reach it by removing the two big upper screws/nuts on the plate and then rotating the plate forward as far as it will go. Looks like there will be enough room to then reach in from the top to remove/replace the filter. Of course it's gonna make a mess with the oil dripping out of the filter onto the top of the skid-plate but...

2013 V-Strom 650
F*ck the brakes.
IBA# 38957
FredBGG does not approve of my riding.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-03-2013, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I used permatex gasket stuff in the tube(but RTV would work as good) to stick the rubber washers to the inside of the skid plate.
I honestly can remove and reinstall the whole skid plate in 10 minutes total time to do an oil change. I use a #4 allen head socket and small 3/8" ratchet.
I always change the oil filter when I put new oil in the motor. It's cheap and easy with the quality Hiflo HP138 filters from Amazon.com and Shell Rotella T 15W-40 by the gallon from Wally World. Buy ten of the Hiflo filters for the price of 2-3 Suzuki branded filters.

Last edited by TinMan2; 10-03-2013 at 07:36 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

I was just curious if there is any consensus on how to best change the oil with the Givi skid plate.
1. Are most of you taking the whole thing off every time? Aligning the rubber gaskets would be the most annoying part about that.
2. What are your thoughts if you ever took the bike in to be serviced (with oil change). I am just wondering what the bike shop is going to do and if they are really going to take the extra time to hassle with it.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-15-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Honestly I can remove the whole thing in 3 minutes now. I use an allen wrench with a speed T. You can use any engine gasket gunk you would like to stick the rubber washers to the inner side of the plate and they stay. Use some anti-seize on the threads when you put the shield back on. Take the 4 loose under the bike first and put them back last. It takes longer for the oil to drain out completely than the plate off and on.
I have no experience with shops changing oil and filters. I've always changed my own for decades. Its super easy on this bike and I read... a real money maker for the shops. https://www.stromtrooper.com/attachme...1&d=1389823479

Last edited by TinMan2; 06-17-2015 at 08:28 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sounds good tinman thanks for the input. Installing the thing was such a PITA that it made me think twice about ever taking it off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode