StromTrooper banner

Ricor Rear shock?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mrpete64 
#1 ·
I think I need a new shock/spring set up. Anyone ever used a Ricor shock? Their info on the shock is interesting the way it works. But does it?

#4 · (Edited)
I've had a RICOR rear shock on three motorcycles now, including my current Strom. I'm 100% sold on the idea for rough road surfaces. My lump of a KLR650 would go places many "better" bikes couldn't, because it had better traction. I set up test tracks (figure 8's in dirt with bumps) and testing lap times and heart-rate (a proxy for effort). My KLR with RICOR front and rear would out run my XLR650, at a lower heart rate. When I put a RICOR on the rear of the XLR, it would then beat my KLR. I never did get an intertia valve on the front of the XLR, though.

I quickly replaced my stock rear with a RICOR, and put Intiminators in the front. I do still ride some off-road with my DL, but, not as much as I used to. The benefit to me is when I'm in a hard turn and run through rough surfaces, or hit something mid-turn...the lighter oil combined with the intertia valve technology allows the wheel to step over the rough stuff more quickly, and get replanted more quickly after the bump, than the "common" fix of bumping up spring rates and/or oil viscosity rates....that just makes for a harsher ride, not a more compliant and reactive suspension response.

I did get to run a RICOR- equipped SV650, and it would whip my CB900 on any surface that wasn't glass-smooth. The CB is not known to be a great handling bike, but, it was darn poor compared to a RICOR SV. I spent about 1600 on Ohlins upgrades on the CB, and put in a Power Commander, and the lowly SV could still outrun it on non-smooth curvy courses.

The technology works for the bikes I've had, when I've tested them on prescribed courses I laid out. So, for me, it's money well spent. BTW, I do NOT claim to be a suspension expert, I was just lucky enough to live close to the shop when I lived in Southern Nevada, and got to do some real-world testing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.