School me on Adventure Helmets - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 09-29-2013, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

School me on Adventure Helmets

I am thinking of buying an "Adventure" or "Dual Sport" helmet. I don't go off road, but I love the idea of the visor for early morning or late evening rides that take me directly into the sun.

I need to be able to change the visor pretty easily as I often leave in the morning and return at night.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I snowboard with a helmet that actually has a visor, and I agree, it's super handy to block those low-angle sun times of day. I like how newer helmets have the retractable sunshade, so it's a double whammy of sun protection. I don't really want to spend 400+ bux on an Arai, but this new AFX FX41 DS has really piqued my interest. It addresses a lot of little annoyances many of these helmet types have. And, AFX has really stepped it up in the ventilation dept. - almost like venting you see in a downhill racing mountain biking helmet.

It ain't for sale quite yet, but check it out - the store vid is pretty good too.... AFX FX-41 DS Helmet - RevZilla.

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."

Last edited by jokermtb; 09-29-2013 at 11:48 AM.
post #3 of 42 Old 09-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

I am using an Arai and I like for a few reasons. The visor really is nice. I used it during the summer with a clear screen which is something I could not do without a visor. Ok and don't laugh, I like the fact that the chin bar is spaced out enough that if I have to sneeze I can put my hand in and not goo up the inside of my helmet

It does pull your neck a bit when turning when doing a car check but not to annoying for me. It can also catch more wind in general but I have not noticed it much.

2014 BMW F800gs

2011 TW200

2012 DL650 SOLD

2007 DL650a SOLD

post #4 of 42 Old 09-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

My backup helmet is an HJC-IS modular. I really like the ability to flip it up, take a drink or speak with someone. It has an easy to use flip down sunshade....around 170.00
My regular Shoei multitec does not have the sunshade but changing visors is very easy...problem is I have three visors for this one...clear, light and dark smoke, a rather expensive requirement.
Biggest drawback of the dualsport helmets would be the way the wind will catch them at high speeds.

2012 DL650/EXP (fox orange)
post #5 of 42 Old 09-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyteo View Post
I am thinking of buying an "Adventure" or "Dual Sport" helmet. I don't go off road, but I love the idea of the visor for early morning or late evening rides that take me directly into the sun.
If the low-angle sun light is your concern instead of the aggressive look of dual-sport helmet, I would recommend helmets with internal sun visor. It's so convenient that you will definitely love them. There is no need to carry extra visor and don't need to stop to exchange them.

I would recommend SHOEI Neotec(flip-up), GT-Air(full face) or J-Cruise(3/4), depends on your preference for helmet style. They all use the same smooth mechanism to operate internal sun visor.

And SHOEI sun visor won't interfere with your glasses, if you have this concern.
post #6 of 42 Old 09-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

I don't claim to be able to "school" anyone about an adventure helmet. :-) But... I did just order one of these yesterday. (I ordered a white one.)

BiLT - Explorer Adventure Helmet - Dual-Sport - Helmets - Off-Road - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

2013 V-Strom 650
F*ck the brakes.
IBA# 38957
FredBGG does not approve of my riding.
post #7 of 42 Old 09-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have been using a first generation AFX for about 2 years now. Last week, I noticed that the top "air scoop" was missing. It is a relatively large plastic piece that appeared to have been snapped into holes in the top of the helmet.
This missing piece does not seem to affect ventilation, which was pretty poor to begin with.
Now, I have an excuse to buy another helmet. I am considering another AFX, the Bilt, MSR, Fly, and a couple of other sub-$200 lids. I seem to beat them up so badly that I cannot see spending $500-700 for an Arai, or a Shoei.
post #8 of 42 Old 09-29-2013, 01:28 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I tried on one of the Scorpion ADV helmets recently at a local moto store. I normally wear an XL, and Shoei helmets fit my semi oval head nice. This Scorpion is for a round head, and I could barely get their 2xl over my mellon - so round!!! Getting the right head shaped helmet is so much more important than the brand, or the price. Fit is king!

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."
post #9 of 42 Old 09-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shag View Post
I don't claim to be able to "school" anyone about an adventure helmet. :-) But... I did just order one of these yesterday. (I ordered a white one.)

BiLT - Explorer Adventure Helmet - Dual-Sport - Helmets - Off-Road - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

I tried on one and found it to a reasonable for the money.

2014 BMW F800gs

2011 TW200

2012 DL650 SOLD

2007 DL650a SOLD
post #10 of 42 Old 09-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
I tried on one and found it to a reasonable for the money.
That sounds like a pretty good summary of the reviews I read online about the helmet. Not bad for the $.

2013 V-Strom 650
F*ck the brakes.
IBA# 38957
FredBGG does not approve of my riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode