Getting the Bike Serviced - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-28-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Getting the Bike Serviced

Currently in Peru and 8500kms into a 100,000kms world trip. The bike has just done 12,000 and I would like to know opinions on getting it "serviced".
I had the first service done by the dealer back home (Australia) but since then I have been maintaining the bike myself. I am no trained mechanic but know my way around the bike. We do some hard off-road, fully laden, 2-up riding and the bike is going great so far and I keep up with the maintenance schedule as per the users manual.
The real question is what should I REALLY get done by a mechanic over here that is due on the bike (ie value clearances, throttle sync etc) that will keep the bike going strong? Keep in mind that many mechanics have never seen a bike bigger than 250cc over here.

Thanks folks!

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]"Life is a book, you gotta keep turning the page!"[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Marksgone...sent you a private message. Let me know if you didn't get it.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #3 of 3 Old 09-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

About the only things that are not easy to do would be the valve adj & throttle body sync, when on the road. Also not everybody cares extra tires with them.

The rest of the maintenance items like spark plugs, oil filters, chains, sprockets etc could be done by yourself.

It all boils down to how much you want to do yourself and what your budget is. If you time your maintenance to those stops you are going to spend a couple of days at, then other than the money it works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode