Seat Search Is Over - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Seat Search Is Over

It took me awhile, but I finally found the seat that works for me. I tried the new Sargent first but felt it wasn't any better than the stock, so sent it back. I then bought a Saddleman Adventure Tour. For me it was a little better over stock, but not much.

Today I received my Russell Day Long. After a two hour ride this afternoon, I can already tell that this is the one. I know that won't be a surprise for most people who recommend them. The reason I held off as long as I did was I was worried about the increased distance to the ground. While the new seat is the highest of the other three that I have owned, it wasn't near as tall as I expected. By sliding forward at stops, I can easily put one foot flat without the bike leaning too much or both feet down on the balls. At start-up I seem to naturally slide right back in the pocket. I had reached the point where I was willing to lower the bike if I couldn't find a comfortable seat. But now I don't think I will have to lower it at all. I will wait for the 500 - 1000 mile break-in and then see how I feel.

Their service was great also. Two weeks from ordering to receiving.

2005 KLR650 (sold)
2009 KLX250S
2012 DL650

Last edited by EvenSerpentsShine; 09-27-2013 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Typo - Changed could to couldn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

What is your inseam and height?

2012 650 Vstrom Black - Givi E52 Maxia Trunk,Givi Quick Release PLR3101 Racks, Givi E21 Silver Side Cases, Admore LED Brake and turn signals, SW Motech Crash Guards, SW Motech Center Stand, SW Motech Steel Rear Rack, SW Motech Bar Risers, OEM lower Cowling, OEM lower Seat customized by Triple K Upolstery, OEM Hand Guards, Eastern Beaver PC8, Givi Airflow Windscreen, Aprilla Mirrors, Dan Vesel Highway Pegs and Back Rest, Oxford Sport Heated Grips, FendaExtenda, Sena 10C, CREE LED Headlight Kit,10w Cree LED Work Lights,INNOV Wifi Bullet Cam
post #3 of 14 Old 09-27-2013, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

I am 5'9", 32" inseam and 180 lbs. I should have included that information in the previous post.

2005 KLR650 (sold)
2009 KLX250S
2012 DL650

post #4 of 14 Old 09-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Another happy Russell owner. I still think it's the best mod I've done to my bike so far. Super comfy, all day long.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm completely satisfied with my corbin. I've put about 2700 miles on it now and I don't even feel it.

It's nice to have a comfortable bike, it's almost like a whole new bike.

'13DL650-A
post #6 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just got the Saddleman Adventure Track (the one with the deep channel running down the middle). Very different feel from the stock seat which was bothering me so much, I honestly couldn't ride the bike anymore. It feels much firmer than stock, but somehow it's very comfortable, go figure. The build quality is much better too which makes the $360 price seem reasonable. I'm 6' 1", 185lbs with a 32"-33" inseam.

Adventure Motorcycle Performance Seat - Adventure TRACK Seats
post #7 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFoy View Post
It feels much firmer than stock, but somehow it's very comfortable, go figure.
The general consensus is that a firmer seat is more comfortable once a person gets a little bit used to it. Same with bicycles.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Glad you like the R. D. L.. Post pics please. Which style to you settle on? Sport style or the wide wing style?

I don't mind the going and I don't mind the stopping. I absolutely hate the stop and going.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 01:49 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFoy View Post
I just got the Saddleman Adventure Track (the one with the deep channel running down the middle). Very different feel from the stock seat which was bothering me so much, I honestly couldn't ride the bike anymore. It feels much firmer than stock, but somehow it's very comfortable, go figure. The build quality is much better too which makes the $360 price seem reasonable. I'm 6' 1", 185lbs with a 32"-33" inseam.

Adventure Motorcycle Performance Seat - Adventure TRACK Seats
I've got one as well - and yes, it does feel weird at first, but once you get used to it, it's wonderful. If you don't like seats that trap you in one spot, like the tractor-style seats (ala Russell), the Saddlemen is a great alternative which allows one to move around - and I'm a restless sitter on the bike!

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."
post #10 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

I went on an 8 hour 400+ mile ride yesterday and I couldn't be happier. It was a beautiful day. No pain the whole day. About 13 hours and 650 miles of seat time so far. The only time I would think about the seat was because I wasn't thinking about it. I also noticed that my knees didn't ache. I guess because I am sitting a little taller. I suppose the same effect would occur with a peg lowering kit.

I also don't think the height will be an issue, that was my biggest concern.

I got the half moon with the basket weave insert. Photos were requested, so here you go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0551.jpg (96.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0553.jpg (98.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0557.jpg (98.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0559.jpg (97.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0561.jpg (97.3 KB, 56 views)

2005 KLR650 (sold)
2009 KLX250S
2012 DL650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode