12v socket directly to battery. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

12v socket directly to battery.

Hi all.

I am just about to install a 12v socket inside the fairing so that I can keep my gps charger always plugged in and so I don't have to have a cord running down to the 12v socket in the 'OEM' position by the right crash bar.
I was thinking to run the socket straight onto the battery because of my limited electrical experience (that much I can do though).

My question: will my Rocketfish charger use up any Juice while it is plugged in when the gps is not plugged in (meaning the mini USB end is hanging loose)??
Is it possible to drain my battery from leaving the charger alone plugged in?

Cheers

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

'12 650 ADV in White: Oxford heated grips, 12v socket x2, BarkBuster Storms, Pivot Pegz, OEM Aluminum cases and top box, OEM crashbars,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-26-2013, 07:48 PM

If it isn't plugged in to the GPS it shouldn't use power, unless it has a light/led (for power) then it will, but VERY minor. If you leave the GPS plugged in, it will charge it, regardless of if it is on or off. Learn how to add a relay in there so you can have it switch on with the ignition, fairly simple. If you can add a 12v socket, you can do the relay, too.

post #3 of 14 Old 09-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
If you put it to the battery dont forget a fuse. I prefer doing it this way so that you don't have to cut into any of the wiring for the bike.

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad

post #4 of 14 Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

I ran a wire from the battery, to a switch in the cowling, instead of a relay. I prefer have power in my socket if i want without the key in ignition. I have a LED as visual reminder that the switch is ON. And yes, dont forget a fuse.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #5 of 14 Old 09-26-2013, 08:35 PM

You still can, my tankbag power is switched on with the ignition or it can be constant on. I added a dpdt switch that allows it.

post #6 of 14 Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhikeski View Post
Learn how to add a relay in there so you can have it switch on with the ignition, fairly simple. If you can add a 12v socket, you can do the relay, too.
The problem with a switched socket is that when used for a GPS, it is annoying to have the GPS turn off every time you stop and shut off the bike. I like to have it up and running all the time so I can make adjustments when I am stopped. You also then lose the use of the socket for charging things while the bike is off - charging a cell phone for a couple hours over lunch or whatever.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Yes you can. Make sure you fuse the socket to match your GPS as they draw very little amps and will not blow a 1 amp fuse ( at least my garmin 60 CX only has a 1 amp fuse>)

So that is your issue, if you want to use the socket for anything else than the gps, you will have to change out the fuse. So for example if you wanted to use a heated vest, likely in the 10 amp range or a tire pump more like a 15 amp range.

On mine I have three lines to the battery ( combined into one ground wire & two power wires ). Each one has its own fuse rated for the load it is expected to carry.

I also have a battery monitor and the GPS itself draws very little juice, so that for gas or lunch stops you don't have to shut it off, but other than that I shut the gps off.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-27-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
The problem with a switched socket is that when used for a GPS, it is annoying to have the GPS turn off every time you stop and shut off the bike. I like to have it up and running all the time so I can make adjustments when I am stopped. You also then lose the use of the socket for charging things while the bike is off - charging a cell phone for a couple hours over lunch or whatever.
My gps asks if I want to turn off or use (internal) battery, it's an old gps, but it lasts for a while without battery, so that's not an issue for me.
Like I said, I have a switch in between constant power and switched power that feeds the tankbag. I can make it what I want by flipping a switch. I normally keep it switched with ignition, only when I need to charge something when I'm off my bike do I use the switch to make it constant power.

post #9 of 14 Old 09-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

I did this and had to replace the fuse at one point in time. Direct to the battery is the no-fuss option for us mechanically challenged.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Where is the best place online to buy switch, relay, fuses and power plug. Does anyone sell a kit?

2004 BMW 1150 GS Adventure
2012 Suzuki DRZ 400s
2013 Wee-Strom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode