clunking when stopping - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-26-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

clunking when stopping

I've noticed , that when i stop be it a quick stop or slow one it does'nt matter , i get a clunk from the front just has i stop , not quite worked out if its when the forks take the final dive or when they come back up ,

Any ideas , the bikes only done 3000 klm , its under warranty so i could'nt really care less what it would be has the warranty will fix it , thats if theres a problem .

Is it a normal thing with this bike , is it something to do with the ABS , or should i take the long ride to the dealers , Its going to be put in for a service in 3000 klm anyway , So i could wait till then , unless its dangerous , ,

Guess what i'm asking is , if its normal or am i likely to be riding along and the wheel falls off .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-26-2013, 08:07 PM
DRD
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneye View Post
I've noticed , that when i stop be it a quick stop or slow one it does'nt matter , i get a clunk from the front just has i stop , not quite worked out if its when the forks take the final dive or when they come back up ,

Any ideas , the bikes only done 3000 klm , its under warranty so i could'nt really care less what it would be has the warranty will fix it , thats if theres a problem .

Is it a normal thing with this bike , is it something to do with the ABS , or should i take the long ride to the dealers , Its going to be put in for a service in 3000 klm anyway , So i could wait till then , unless its dangerous , ,

Guess what i'm asking is , if its normal or am i likely to be riding along and the wheel falls off .

That's the noise mine made when the front brake caliper came loose. Check all your nuts and bolts for proper torque.

DRD

2013 Blue DL650
post #3 of 12 Old 09-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

loose stem

post #4 of 12 Old 09-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Check the front caliper bolts before you ride it another inch. As mentioned, the steering stem could be loose, which should also to be addressed. Either way, he clunk isn't "normal".
post #5 of 12 Old 07-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

make the front wheel float in the air (central stand or some other contraption to rise the front of the bike) and see if the main fork's bearings don't have an indentation

if you turn from left to right very slowly past the middle point it shouldn't "stick" to the middle position, if so, the bearing may have an indentation on the middle position and leave room for the whole fork to clunk around when breaking
post #6 of 12 Old 07-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Mine does this too on occasion. If you figure it out, please let me know.

Sometimes I think that it's the fuel splashing forward to the front of the tank as it only seems to happen only with 3/4s or less of a tank of fuel... I think.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
After reading this post earlier today, I though I'd check my brakes. They are seem normal. Everything is there and nothing loose. The calliper can be moved a little on the pins, which I think is normal as it is supposed to float. On thing I did notice, is the the hole in the pads on the bottom are slightly larger than the pin that holds them in place. Maybe 1mm too big. I can lift he pad up (towards the back of the bike) and there is a definite metal-on-metal sound. I can see, at the end of the stop, and the bike tries to roll back on the front wheel when the brakes are still engaged, the pads might twist and clunk back to the other side of the pin hole. Question is, should I be able to grab the bottom edge of a pad and make it clunk back and forth? (or up and down I guess is the orientation I'm moving them).
post #8 of 12 Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Seriously, mine does it as well but not all the time??
James
post #9 of 12 Old 07-09-2014, 06:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

i also have this notice on occasion. More noticeable on 2 up

Current
2012 Suzuki DL650 - VSTROM
1981 Suzuki GSX400 - Work in progress

Gone but not forgotten
2001 Suzuki GSXF600 - KATANA
1984 Honda VT250FE (Grey bike)
post #10 of 12 Old 07-09-2014, 09:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Exactally the same on mine at 4300kms . I checked loads of fasteners and could only replicate when front brakes were squeezed and loaded the forks down in my garage . Thought I would bring it up at 6 thou service but last ride it never occurred and I rode 500 kms . I am baffled because I know the service guys will never spend as much time on this as I would . I will definitely keep my attention on this . I wonder if it's a temperature thing with the caliper setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode