Change Trax boxes to Givi E-21's? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-23-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Change Trax boxes to Givi E-21's?

I am not fond of the Trax boxes that came on my 2012 Adventure. Sure they hold a ton, but they are so wide, and the locks can be a pita. I was looking at the racks they are mounted on, and it looks to me like this could easily be adapted to hold Givi bags using this kit:

SW-MOTECH sidecase adapter kit for Quick-Lock EVO carrier (Givi Monokey/Kappa) - Luggage & Racks - Shop by Product - TwistedThrottle.com

This got me to thinking about changing to Givi bags. I like the E-21's because of their price and the fact that they are top loading. Going to all Givi cases (I already have a Givi top box) would mean matched keys for each bag. My biggest concern about the E-21's is their size. I often have my bags stuffed full as it is.

Has anyone else done this? How did it work out? Opinions are welcome too.

thanks

2013 DL650 Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

funny that you mention this, I've been thinking of getting the E-21's to commute with and leave the Trax bags for travelling.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-23-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapbastard View Post
funny that you mention this, I've been thinking of getting the E-21's to commute with and leave the Trax bags for travelling.
yeah, I guess great minds think alike.

2013 DL650 Adventure

post #4 of 16 Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Would you be better off selling the racks with the Trax boxes and then getting Givi racks? You might get more for the luggage if it is a complete set, racks included. Not sure, just wondering.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 16 Old 09-23-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
no, using the existing racks, all I need is a $26 adapter kit. The Givi racks are a few hunnert $$$, I guess.

2013 DL650 Adventure
post #6 of 16 Old 09-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

The racks are the main reason why they are so wide. The clearance between bike and cases is absurdly wide.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-24-2013, 12:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbill View Post
The racks are the main reason why they are so wide. The clearance between bike and cases is absurdly wide.
Absolutely! I declined a good deal on an Adventure model, mainly because of that reason. Saved money and put on the SW-Motech Evo QR racks, which are definitely narrower. I have a 5-piece Givi set (all keyed alike), V46 topcase stays on all the time, and I alternate between the E21's or E36's.

The E21's actually spent thousands of miles on my old Kawasaki EX-500, and even survived a couple of tip-overs plus a low speed lowside. A couple of scuffs on the lower corners but they still work well. For two-up trips of any length, the E36's are required, but for solo trips the 21's work fine. Depends on how much stuff you need to bring! For a little extra space, I had also used a Cortech tailpack hooked onto the passenger seat, when traveling solo on the 500.

FWIW the 21's look oddly small on the WeeStrom, when paired up with the rather large V46 topcase. They looked more "balanced" when I used the smaller Monolock topcase. But they're pretty nice and narrow (I think about 38" wide? I'd have to re-measure to be sure), and I get a little better gas mileage with them than I do with those big ol' 36's. I like the top-loading feature, they're economical, and 100% watertight.

2012 DL650
2018 DR650
post #8 of 16 Old 09-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

My '12 Adventure model with the Givi E 21's:

Taken on "The Dragon" and The Cherohalla Skyway. NC and Tennessee.

gary

'14 VStrom 1000
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - quote attributed to Helen Keller.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post

This got me to thinking about changing to Givi bags. I like the E-21's because of their price and the fact that they are top loading. Going to all Givi cases (I already have a Givi top box) would mean matched keys for each bag. My biggest concern about the E-21's is their size.

Has anyone else done this? How did it work out? Opinions are welcome too.

thanks
I don't think anyone has said it will or won't work yet -- please keep us informed if you try the adapter kit. After the 0% promo died, Suzuki started "giving away" the OEM luggage, so that's what I'm getting -- once they come in from back order.

So I'm in the same boat -- bags will be too big for commuting and I'd love to be able to switch to smaller Givis.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-25-2013, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornRider View Post
My '12 Adventure model with the Givi E 21's:

Taken on "The Dragon" and The Cherohalla Skyway. NC and Tennessee.
thanks for the pics! I would love to see a shot from the rear.

2013 DL650 Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
e-21 , givi , trax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode