Air Filters - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Air Filters

One more question, I admit to being a bit of a newbie when it comes to working on bikes but I'm trying to learn more to do as much of my own work as possible!

I replaced my air filter with a K&N filter (the mechanic at the shop I bought the bike at suggested I do that when the time came - in fact, I think they now replace them when they do the pre-delivery). It seems to make sense both from the pain in the arse factor of accessing the air box and the durability.

When I set out this morning I did notice it seems to have a little more pickup (probably in part because the last filter was definitely done!), but what I wonder about is that it sounds a bit different - a little bit deeper rumble - is that a normal thing to have changed just from replacement of the filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Air box honk. Some folks feel that the K&N allows more air flow due to the design. A nice feature of the K&N is the service interval of 50K for cleaning and feeding. Some folks love 'em, some don't.
A pre screen, over the intake can eliminate a lot of bugs being collected on the filter.
post #3 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

There are several sources of noise from an engine...intake (air box honk), mechanical including chain, and exhaust. Some air filters allow more intake noise to escape.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.

post #4 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

All I'm going to say is that if it flows more air it has to flow more grit.

I've seen car engines apart that had run KN air filters ( I can't comment on whether they were service properly or not ) but it was pretty clear that the rings had worn much more than with a stock air filter. That is an example of grit getting into the intake system.

Again as all things in life, each to their own. It's your money do what you wish.
post #5 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleman View Post

I've seen car engines apart that had run KN air filters ( I can't comment on whether they were service properly or not ) but it was pretty clear that the rings had worn much more than with a stock air filter. That is an example of grit getting into the intake system.

Again as all things in life, each to their own. It's your money do what you wish.
Very well said, thanks
post #6 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 08:13 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
You know that 300,000 mile Vee everybody's been raving about? Guess what kind of air filter it uses.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #7 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
You know that 300,000 mile Vee everybody's been raving about? Guess what kind of air filter it uses.
One of Betty Davis' stockings?

"I've recently come to the realization that true happiness can often be found at the bottom of an empty gas tank" - Prime
post #8 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

The OEM filter seem to me much better quality than any i saw before.
post #9 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 09:54 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleman View Post

A larger filter surface area will let more air through but not necessarily let more dirt through.

post #10 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

I follow this method for my air filter. $6 instead of $25 plus.
Takes about 15 minutes and overnight to set the silicon.
Worked on my Wee for 40K+, will continue to do it on my 13.
Ian, Iowa

https://www.stromtrooper.com/australi...tml#post335928
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
air filter , k&n , pickup , power , sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode