Skid plate for use with Yoshimura R77 exhaust? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Skid plate for use with Yoshimura R77 exhaust?

So, today I finally received my TouraTech skid plate (after shiping it half way around the world!). I went to mount it up and the rear bracket won't mount. The Yoshimura midpipe extends down about 1/4-1/2" more than the OEM preventing the bolt holes from lining up. The rear bracket mounts to the exhaust hanger boly on the right side, and the front kickstand bolt on the left.

So, does anyone know if there is a skid plate out there that will fit with the Yoshimura exhaust?

2012 DL650A Adventure, Yoshimura R-77 3/4 exhaust, Sargent World Sport Performance Plus seat, ProTaper SE Raptor bars, SW-Motech 25mm risers, ProGrip Grips, Suzuki handguards, Tuono mirrors, Givi skid plate, Adventure Tech fork brace, GPS mount, peg lowering kit, auxiliary power shelf, SW-Motech convertible foot pegs, SW-Motech extended shift lever, SVRacing frame sliders, Garmin Zumo 660, MRA Xcreen, Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails, Eastern Beaver headlight relay, Coocase V37

Currently in the United Kingdom and looking for great rides. PM if you have suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

My Enduro Guardian skid plate's rear bracket mounts exactly the same way and this is the exact situation I'm wary of. Perhaps you could give us the dimensions of the Touratech rear bracket and we'll compare notes to see what brackets might offer enough room? I'm very willing to contribute the EG info.

2012 DL650A Adv.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattski1 View Post
My Enduro Guardian skid plate's rear bracket mounts exactly the same way and this is the exact situation I'm wary of. Perhaps you could give us the dimensions of the Touratech rear bracket and we'll compare notes to see what brackets might offer enough room? I'm very willing to contribute the EG info.
I have emailed Yann to ask him if he know if his plate wil work with the Yoshi.

For the Touratech rear mount, the measurement from the center of the side mounting holes to the top of the bracket (top being the part that would contact the exhaust which is actually the right screw that comes up through the plate is approx 2 inches.

2012 DL650A Adventure, Yoshimura R-77 3/4 exhaust, Sargent World Sport Performance Plus seat, ProTaper SE Raptor bars, SW-Motech 25mm risers, ProGrip Grips, Suzuki handguards, Tuono mirrors, Givi skid plate, Adventure Tech fork brace, GPS mount, peg lowering kit, auxiliary power shelf, SW-Motech convertible foot pegs, SW-Motech extended shift lever, SVRacing frame sliders, Garmin Zumo 660, MRA Xcreen, Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails, Eastern Beaver headlight relay, Coocase V37

Currently in the United Kingdom and looking for great rides. PM if you have suggestions.

post #4 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Banned

You could look at the Givi one. I have it mounted with an Akrapovic and have no mounting issues.

RP3101 Alloy Bash Plate | A Pair of Stroms
post #5 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Well, so far I have read that the Givi will work. I know the Touratech won't work. I emailed Yann about the Enduro Guardian plate and he said that it won't work either. Amyone know about the SW Motech?

Dang... sweet exhaust... now it looks like only the Givi plate will work. Does anyone know how the rear of the SW Motech mounts?

post #6 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

The rear bracket on the motech hangs from the exhaust hanger on the right and the kickstand bolts on the left side. There is just barely enough clearance for the stock exhaust. So if the yoshi hangs any lower it won't clear. Dang, I was interested in this exhaust. But I'll let somebody else be the guinea pig.

Surely the developer of this exhaust knows what will fit? If its incompatible with everything, or they dont know, then they really screwed up and need to start over. Al
post #7 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Well guys, thanks for the info. Looks like the only one that will work is the Givi since it does not go back that far and use those mounting points.

post #8 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 12:48 PM
$tromtrooper

Have you looked at "WELD86" skidplates......?? Or, the Hyde Racing Plastic plate. I'm not opening up a skidplate debate here on which one is better, just saying those two plates "may fit" with the Yoshi Exhaust installed. I believe that was the original question?

www.easternvstromrally.com
Over 100 Attendees at the May 2019......already planning it for 2020!!
post #9 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

So the only bash plate that works with the yoshi is the one that leaves the pipe exposed. That defeats the purpose of a bash plate. -al
post #10 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
So the only bash plate that works with the yoshi is the one that leaves the pipe exposed. That defeats the purpose of a bash plate. -al
I guess it depends on how much you "bash" your bike. I don't... my 'Strom is limited to roads... whether that be paved, dirt, or gravel. I don't intend to be out bouncing it over rocky trails. i just want protection for the header and oil filter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode