Yoshimura R77, Sargent Seat, ProTaper bars, and Tuono mirrors - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 09-12-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Yoshimura R77, Sargent Seat, ProTaper bars, and Tuono mirrors

I had a fun day of doing some mods! Put on my Yoshimura R77 exhaust. This was hands down the EASIEST exhaust change I have ever done on a bike. Sounds great!

Also put on my Sargent Performance Plus seat. Feels better than stock.

ProTaper SE Raptor bar. So much better than the stock bar. Has less sweep to the rear which puts me in a more natural riding position. Height is slightly taller than stock, width is close to same, less sweep back. No issues with contacting fairing or tank at full lock and I didn't have to change or reroute in cables or brake lines. I ordered the platinum color thinking they would be more af a dark grey, but they have a slight tinge of blue to them. Wasn't worth sending them back. Only downside I see is the stiffer bar transfers engine guard vibes a little more through the grips. Also put on some ProGrip 717 grips.

Aprilia Tuono mirrors. They look way cooler than stock mirrors, decreased buffeting a little. Only downside is a little blurring when in the engine guard vibe zone. But love the character they add to the bike.

2012 DL650A Adventure, Yoshimura R-77 3/4 exhaust, Sargent World Sport Performance Plus seat, ProTaper SE Raptor bars, SW-Motech 25mm risers, ProGrip Grips, Suzuki handguards, Tuono mirrors, Givi skid plate, Adventure Tech fork brace, GPS mount, peg lowering kit, auxiliary power shelf, SW-Motech convertible foot pegs, SW-Motech extended shift lever, SVRacing frame sliders, Garmin Zumo 660, MRA Xcreen, Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails, Eastern Beaver headlight relay, Coocase V37

Currently in the United Kingdom and looking for great rides. PM if you have suggestions.

Last edited by BMiracleTX; 09-12-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Banned

That's a really nice well set up bike

Love the Yoshi, looks great.

I do very much like those Pro Taper bars though, thanks for letting us know which ones you picked, and for the detailed report.

I now know what my next project will be

Cheers
post #3 of 21 Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Great mods. Functional and look good.

Do you remove the rear stock header pipe from the head and replace with new pipe or use it to connect to the new aftermarket exhaust?

On the bars - did you need to reroute any cables or are they being strained at all or is everything pretty much as it was with the stock bars?

What source did you use for the Tuono mirrors?

Thanks,
EV

Master of the obvious...
Ol' Bug Brain of the Sons of Practicality MC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2012 DL650AL2

post #4 of 21 Old 09-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

I am curious on the r77 exhaust and skid plate compatibility.

2014 BMW F800gs

2011 TW200

2012 DL650 SOLD

2007 DL650a SOLD
post #5 of 21 Old 09-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Funny I ordered the platinum ( I have KX high contour bars) as well but I also returned them in favor of silver. They looked more like the engine case color in the pictures but they are more like a gun metal blue. Anyway yours looks great.

2014 BMW F800gs

2011 TW200

2012 DL650 SOLD

2007 DL650a SOLD
post #6 of 21 Old 09-13-2013, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex9r View Post
That's a really nice well set up bike

Love the Yoshi, looks great.

I do very much like those Pro Taper bars though, thanks for letting us know which ones you picked, and for the detailed report.

I now know what my next project will be

Cheers
Also forgot to mention that the center portion of the Raptor bar is slightly narrow. The up sweep from where it attasches to the clamps begins a little early and doesn't allow the clamp to fit flush. I busted out my dremel and just took a little metal off the bar, and then put a little bevel in the clamp as well.

2012 DL650A Adventure, Yoshimura R-77 3/4 exhaust, Sargent World Sport Performance Plus seat, ProTaper SE Raptor bars, SW-Motech 25mm risers, ProGrip Grips, Suzuki handguards, Tuono mirrors, Givi skid plate, Adventure Tech fork brace, GPS mount, peg lowering kit, auxiliary power shelf, SW-Motech convertible foot pegs, SW-Motech extended shift lever, SVRacing frame sliders, Garmin Zumo 660, MRA Xcreen, Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails, Eastern Beaver headlight relay, Coocase V37

Currently in the United Kingdom and looking for great rides. PM if you have suggestions.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-13-2013, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVstrom View Post
Great mods. Functional and look good.

Do you remove the rear stock header pipe from the head and replace with new pipe or use it to connect to the new aftermarket exhaust?

On the bars - did you need to reroute any cables or are they being strained at all or is everything pretty much as it was with the stock bars?

What source did you use for the Tuono mirrors?

Thanks,
EV
The Yoshi setup replaces everything except the short header attaching to the rear cylinder. A few inches from the exhaust outlet there is a pipe clamp. You can access the bolt from the left side of the bike in front of the shock. You loosen that clamp and the rear pipe from that point down comes off. Then you put the new midpipe back up onto that little header piece and clamp it. The entire front header pipe is replaced with the Yoshi unit. Fit was great, installation went smooth, the whole thing took about 45 minutes taking my time.

For the bars, I didn't have to change or reroute the cables at all. The bar is pretty close to the stock dimensions except for less sweep. No stress on the cables or lines and no hitting the tank or fairing when at full lock. Other than having to add a little bevel to the top bar clamp, it was an easy swap.

I ordered the mirrors from Moto-science.com. Good price and same day shipping! They were great.

post #8 of 21 Old 09-13-2013, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
I am curious on the r77 exhaust and skid plate compatibility.
Me too. I am still waiting for the TouraTech skid plate to arrive. I am military stationed in England. I had to order it and ship it to my dads house, then he relabeled and mailed it to me. Should be here next week. I will post pics and feedback when it arrives.

The front header pipe looks to be about the same diameter and angles, so it should fit. Won't know until it arrives though.

post #9 of 21 Old 09-13-2013, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
Funny I ordered the platinum ( I have KX high contour bars) as well but I also returned them in favor of silver. They looked more like the engine case color in the pictures but they are more like a gun metal blue. Anyway yours looks great.
Exactly! The website pictures show the silver as normal silver, and the platinum to look dark grey... but as can be seen in my pics, there is a definite blue tinge to it. If I would have done it again I would have ordered the silver. But, the price to ship an oversized box back to the states just wasn't worth it.

post #10 of 21 Old 09-13-2013, 02:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiracleTX View Post
Me too. I am still waiting for the TouraTech skid plate to arrive. I am military stationed in England. I had to order it and ship it to my dads house, then he relabeled and mailed it to me. Should be here next week. I will post pics and feedback when it arrives.

The front header pipe looks to be about the same diameter and angles, so it should fit. Won't know until it arrives though.
Well that is a good data point for me since I have that skid plate.

2014 BMW F800gs

2011 TW200

2012 DL650 SOLD

2007 DL650a SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode