2013 twins shootout - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-11-2013, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2013 twins shootout

Just thought I'd share...

2013 650 Twins Shootout - Motorcycle USA

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Great article. I had not seen this yet. Thanks for sharing!

Heck yeah, makes me love my '12 Strom even more!

2012 DL650A Adventure, Yoshimura R-77 3/4 exhaust, Sargent World Sport Performance Plus seat, ProTaper SE Raptor bars, SW-Motech 25mm risers, ProGrip Grips, Suzuki handguards, Tuono mirrors, Givi skid plate, Adventure Tech fork brace, GPS mount, peg lowering kit, auxiliary power shelf, SW-Motech convertible foot pegs, SW-Motech extended shift lever, SVRacing frame sliders, Garmin Zumo 660, MRA Xcreen, Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails, Eastern Beaver headlight relay, Coocase V37

Currently in the United Kingdom and looking for great rides. PM if you have suggestions.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Good write up and shows the VStrom's capabilities well. It's why I choose it, a best all arounder, especially for the price and 0% financing. It does everything pretty well while being the ultimate compromise bike.

Quote:
For me, the V-Strom was the best all-around bike in the comparison. I also appreciated the fact that once I was done with it for the day, I felt like Id become a better rider.
High praise indeed.

'12 DL650A VStrom

post #4 of 16 Old 09-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

I was looking at the DL650, Versy and Triumph Tiger 800. Tiger was 11,000 msrp so out of my price range for now and parts would be hard to come by I would think. I liked the Versy but I had a fellow rider who had one and said the engine was awesome but due to the strange layout of the rear shock he could not dial it in. Seems like it always wanted to buck him off the bike. I have only heard good things about the Vstrom over the years and the facelift, 0% financing and a couple rebates from Suzuki and I was sold. I got a lot of bike for $139.00 a month! (Plus farkles )
post #5 of 16 Old 09-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm not surprised it beat out the competition in this test. I'd like to see the Vstrom matched up against some stiffer competition. I wish it was included in Cycle World's Armagedon Tour.

Master of the obvious...
Ol' Bug Brain of the Sons of Practicality MC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2012 DL650AL2
post #6 of 16 Old 09-11-2013, 11:25 PM
$tromtrooper

The restyle got me interested, the 0 down o% APR got me into the VStrom instead of the non-available Super Tenere I was infatuated with. I am quite liking my selection, coming from a KLR I really couldn't do a proper review, but I can assure you I am enjoying my ride

Oddly, I did not like the styling of the previous VStrom but now, after experiencing the VStrom sensation, they don't look so bad and I will gladly recommend an earlier model for riders looking for a mostly street DS ride.

DSR650

DualSport Rider 650
2012 DL650A-L2 ABS ADV
2003 KLR650
post #7 of 16 Old 09-12-2013, 06:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Interesting...

Fantastic article! Interestingly, before buying my '12 Glee, I was looking at the following bikes:

-Yamaha Super Tenere
-Honda NC700X
-Kawasaki Verses
-VStrom 650
-BMW F650GS

The Versys & the NC700X are full-on street bikes (they feature 17-inch wheels fore and aft, and have shorter-travel suspensions like most other full-on street bikes). Both bikes have received Motorcycling's BOTY awards, but I have always found the Versys to be unattractive...the Honda REALLY interested me!)

The Super Tenere is a full-on, big-bore, pound-the-miles, go-anywhere adventure bike in the BMW R1200GS mold. I was intrigued by this bike too, but worried about parts availability & farkle parts ability because of its newness. It also weighs about 100lbs more than the Glee! It does sport some pretty cool features though: traction control, switchable ABS, etc. I decided to pass on the Tenere because of it's heft.

The BMW F650GS and the DL650 V-Strom are the most similar in their design and intended use...both feature identical wheel/tire sizes, both have remarkably similar suspension travel, both weigh about the same and have similar power output.

Here's what MADE the decision for me:
-Financially, I could not justify the added expense of the BMW (its initial cost, cost of aftermarket parts, cost of BMW-supplied parts, and labor costs at BMW dealerships vs. Suzuki dealerships).
-The other issue that gave me concern (having owned 3 BMWs in recent years) was knowing that there were some nagging electronic issues with many of their bikes.
-Finally, the V-Strom has such an incredibly loyal following worldwide. People LOVE these things!! Honestly, my mind was made up before I ever rode one; it was the bike for me.

BUT, for some very strange reason, I still like the "uniqueness" of the Honda...
post #8 of 16 Old 09-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

nice article, good videos of our area too, thanks for posting that.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnylikesvtwins View Post
BUT, for some very strange reason, I still like the "uniqueness" of the Honda...
I agree with this. The NC700X is an intriguing package. However, for my preference, Honda blew it by not offering ABS and a 19" front wheel on the manual bike.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked steve View Post
Good write up and shows the VStrom's capabilities well. It's why I choose it, a best all arounder, especially for the price and 0% financing. It does everything pretty well while being the ultimate compromise bike.

High praise indeed.

Same here! The vstrom was already on my short list of bikes. I tried to rent one on Maui for five days back in the spring but someone crashed it a couple days before I arrived and I ended up on a softtail.

After a couple months of using it as my daily rider I'm still impressed and think I piked the right bike!

'13DL650-A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode