1212121212 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Any advice finding neutral waiting at long lights? What technique do you use? I keep skipping it. Also sometimes if in neutral before the bike stops it won't go into first if I don't roll the bike slightly or can take off in second. Finally I have to squeeze the clutch a little tighter now when starting the bike how can I adjust it so I don't need to death grip it to start the bike?

2012 650 Vstrom Black - Givi E52 Maxia Trunk,Givi Quick Release PLR3101 Racks, Givi E21 Silver Side Cases, Admore LED Brake and turn signals, SW Motech Crash Guards, SW Motech Center Stand, SW Motech Steel Rear Rack, SW Motech Bar Risers, OEM lower Cowling, OEM lower Seat customized by Triple K Upolstery, OEM Hand Guards, Eastern Beaver PC8, Givi Airflow Windscreen, Aprilla Mirrors, Dan Vesel Highway Pegs and Back Rest, Oxford Sport Heated Grips, FendaExtenda, Sena 10C, CREE LED Headlight Kit,10w Cree LED Work Lights,INNOV Wifi Bullet Cam

Last edited by Captain Farkle; 09-10-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Check your clutch level operation and clean and grease the pivot if required, check your cable slack and that it slides in it's sheath with very little effort, and check the clutch actuator rod clearance and that the rod isn't gunk'd up or binding for any reason.

It might also just be time for an oil change.

"I've recently come to the realization that true happiness can often be found at the bottom of an empty gas tank" - Prime
post #3 of 23 Old 09-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

My Neutral seems difficult to find too.

Bike was serviced when it was at the dealer and I've only owned it for a few weeks.
I'm gonna chalk it up to my noobishness, but it does seem that the force necessary to get it over the detent from 1st up or from 2nd down is enough to push the lever past neutral.

post #4 of 23 Old 09-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

My bike had a very notchy transmission when it was new. I found the shifting action very clunky - a few times it felt like something must be mechanically wrong with it.

It smoothed out after a few thousand miles. Others here have related similar experiences.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsteve View Post
My bike had a very notchy transmission when it was new. I found the shifting action very clunky - a few times it felt like something must be mechanically wrong with it.

It smoothed out after a few thousand miles. Others here have related similar experiences.
Mine has over 6500 miles on it. I bought it used.

2012 DL650 Adventure - Black
OEM Hand guards, OEM Heated grips, Stroma Center Stand and Shifter, SV Racing Frame and Swingarm sliders, Eastern Beaver power distribution, Skene Visibility Lights
post #6 of 23 Old 09-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele2048 View Post
Mine has over 6500 miles on it. I bought it used.
Huh. Are you sure the dealer actually serviced it? Check the clutch free play.

I think mine sorted itself out well before 6500 miles - like maybe 2 or 3k - and I have many stories about dealers not doing things they were 'supposed' to do.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsteve View Post
Huh. Are you sure the dealer actually serviced it? Check the clutch free play.

I think mine sorted itself out well before 6500 miles - like maybe 2 or 3k - and I have many stories about dealers not doing things they were 'supposed' to do.
Oil looks clean.
Clutch cable tension is per the Owner's Manual.

I highly doubt that anything they did or didn't do would have any affect on engine/gearbox internals. Either it's previous owner's lack of maintenance (Not likely. First service was at 650 miles and others were on time thereafter.) Otherwise it's a defect.

2012 DL650 Adventure - Black
OEM Hand guards, OEM Heated grips, Stroma Center Stand and Shifter, SV Racing Frame and Swingarm sliders, Eastern Beaver power distribution, Skene Visibility Lights
post #8 of 23 Old 09-12-2013, 12:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele2048 View Post
Oil looks clean.
Clutch cable tension is per the Owner's Manual.

I highly doubt that anything they did or didn't do would have any affect on engine/gearbox internals. Either it's previous owner's lack of maintenance (Not likely. First service was at 650 miles and others were on time thereafter.) Otherwise it's a defect.
If the clutch isn't releasing enough neutral can be a right beyotch to find on most bikes, the Stromms are no different.
There are two clearance adjustments in the clutch, the cable slack is one, the actuator rod is the other. Both need to be right. Another thing that MIGHT help is to switch to one grade lighter oil, saw 5W40 instead of 10W40, or 10W40 instead of 15W40. It could be the clutch is just dragging a little in the oil.

"I've recently come to the realization that true happiness can often be found at the bottom of an empty gas tank" - Prime
post #9 of 23 Old 09-12-2013, 06:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

It's normal to have to move the bike slightly forward or backward to find neutral from a stop. I find it easier to shift from second to neutral while still moving forward; just a light downward tap from second, with or without clutch, gets it every time.

It's often similarly necessary to roll the bike slightly to engage first.

Both issues are related to how the shift dogs happen to line up as you stop. Totally normal.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/
post #10 of 23 Old 09-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Angel View Post
... the cable slack is one, the actuator rod is the other.

This is something that needs to be repeated.

Adjusting the clutch cable does not adjust the clutch release point unless there is no slack in the cable at all. It only adjusts when the cable starts moving the clutch release mechanism. If a clutch is dragging the adjustment is done within the housing that has the final drive sprocket in it.

And normally having a hard time finidng neutral (or hearing a real big clunk when put into first from netutral) are signs of the clutch dragging. A new bike might have a harder time and may just need some break in.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 200,000+ km, 125,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode