tick tick - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

tick tick

Can any of you please tell me what this ticking noise is? Is it injector, or valve, or maybe standard v strom noise. Notice that it gets a little louder after I roll off the throttle. Reason I am questioning this is because I smelled what I believe is fuel in the old oil I replaced on this bike. The noise seems to only happen at idle.
MAH01432 - YouTube
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sound normal, at least on that video.
post #3 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Even V-Tom will see now.... I think you need to go back to your Harley.....

2015 DL650AL5 in Blue

post #4 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFZ6 View Post
Even V-Tom will see now.... I think you need to go back to your Harley.....
Dude, Why are you so against me asking a simple question? I have a genuine concern with my oil smelling like gas. Should I not ask anymore question because what? I don't understand. What is wrong with asking questions. I am not forcing anyone to give up their time to answer me. I am not an ass. I am as polite as I can be. I don't offend anyone as far as I know. I will not go back to Harley, I this is my first newer bike that is not designed in 1930's so I want to learn more. If you know that this noise is normal, please say so, and if not I would appreciate your help. I am not a mechanic or bike expert, if I were I would not be asking questions. If V Tom wishes not to contribute, not me or anyone here is going to make him. Thus far, however, V tom has been very helpful. You have been as well in the beginning, but now, if my questions annoy you, please do not contribute, if you want to take your time to help me out please do so.

Last edited by Majster81; 09-07-2013 at 07:46 PM.
post #5 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have a 2012 and mine sounds the same. I didn't smell my oil though but after 1100kms its was a dark amber.

'12 Suzuki VStrom 650 SE - have
'03 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 - have(turning into a bobber)
'10 Piaggio Fly 150 scooter - have(will never sell)
'09 Suzuki Boulevard C50T - sold
'08 Yamaha R1 - sold
*** Almost 30 year lull ***
'79 Kawasaki KZ1000 MKII - sold(wish I hadn't)
'84 Honda XL600R - sold
'85 Honda XL600R - sold
'77 Kawasaki KZ 650 - sold
post #6 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy Orange View Post
I have a 2012 and mine sounds the same. I didn't smell my oil though but after 1100kms its was a dark amber.
not to make this an oil thread, yes it was dark amber at 2K, but at 2700K when I changed it, it was deep dark when smeared on piece of paper. IT is the gas smell that threw me off. I have read here that injectors could be sticking, or the oil is getting past the rings.
post #7 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Most used oil smells like gas to a certain extent, and 1-2% dilution is normal and not harmful. In modern automotive direct injected gasoline engines, it is common to see 3-4% and even up to 5% if the vehicle only makes short trips. There is considerable debate on BITOG about 5% being harmful. The oil analyses I've seen don't show increased wear at 5% dilution, which in effect, decreases an engine oil's viscosity.

You could check your plugs for a rich condition, but if you had a fuel injection problem bad enough to dilute your oil, you would certainly notice a problem with the way it runs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2012 View Post
Most used oil smells like gas to a certain extent, and 1-2% dilution is normal and not harmful. In modern automotive direct injected gasoline engines, it is common to see 3-4% and even up to 5% if the vehicle only makes short trips. There is considerable debate on BITOG about 5% being harmful. The oil analyses I've seen don't show increased wear at 5% dilution, which in effect, decreases an engine oil's viscosity.

You could check your plugs for a rich condition, but if you had a fuel injection problem bad enough to dilute your oil, you would certainly notice a problem with the way it runs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I don't go crazy on it, but I cannot complain about lack of power. It will go if I need it. I will just watch my oil level, and if it rises (I always park in the exact same spot) will take it to the dealer to check it. I ride 11 miles each way twice a day so that's 22 miles in decent temps. I let It warm up 30-40 seconds before riding.
post #9 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sounds normal to me...

If you are concerned about the oil, send it out for analysis.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #10 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

If you are concerned about the oil, send it out for analysis.
I will. I will watch the oil level and when I change it before winter hibernation, I will send a sample to a lab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode