Long engine cross bolt torque value - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-04-2013, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Long engine cross bolt torque value

Quick question. I don't even know the technical name for the long crossbolt that goes through and is used as the rear mounting point for the OEM bars.

Could someone please enlighten me what the name of that bolt is, as well as the correct torque value? Didn't know which value to use on the list since I don't know the name of it. Do I need to use anti-sieze like on the rear axle nut?

Thanks... feeling kinda dumb right now.

2012 DL650A Adventure, Yoshimura R-77 3/4 exhaust, Sargent World Sport Performance Plus seat, ProTaper SE Raptor bars, SW-Motech 25mm risers, ProGrip Grips, Suzuki handguards, Tuono mirrors, Givi skid plate, Adventure Tech fork brace, GPS mount, peg lowering kit, auxiliary power shelf, SW-Motech convertible foot pegs, SW-Motech extended shift lever, SVRacing frame sliders, Garmin Zumo 660, MRA Xcreen, Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails, Eastern Beaver headlight relay, Coocase V37

Currently in the United Kingdom and looking for great rides. PM if you have suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-04-2013, 03:31 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Center engine mounting nut is what is listed in the manual. 67.5lb-ft is the spec but anti seize and 54lb-ft isn't a bad idea.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 16 Old 09-04-2013, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Center engine mounting nut is what is listed in the manual. 67.5lb-ft is the spec but anti seize and 54lb-ft isn't a bad idea.
Once again, Greywolf is the man! Thanks alot. I went of the bolt size chart and I think I tightened it to around 62, but it seemed like it was getting pretty tight. I was second guessing myself and was thinking that perhaps it was galling. I think I will go ahead and loosen it, put some anti sieze on, and re torque to 54.

Thanks again!

2012 DL650A Adventure, Yoshimura R-77 3/4 exhaust, Sargent World Sport Performance Plus seat, ProTaper SE Raptor bars, SW-Motech 25mm risers, ProGrip Grips, Suzuki handguards, Tuono mirrors, Givi skid plate, Adventure Tech fork brace, GPS mount, peg lowering kit, auxiliary power shelf, SW-Motech convertible foot pegs, SW-Motech extended shift lever, SVRacing frame sliders, Garmin Zumo 660, MRA Xcreen, Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails, Eastern Beaver headlight relay, Coocase V37

Currently in the United Kingdom and looking for great rides. PM if you have suggestions.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Exclamation

It is the engine mounting bolt and engine mounting nut. 35N-m, or 25.5 lb-ft
Thread locker (loctite) is required.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (48.3 KB, 58 views)

2012 DL650 Adv,Trax boxes, GiviT480, Hepco Becker center stand, Enduro Guardian skidplate
post #5 of 16 Old 09-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Here is a pic of the bolt/nut in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 1.jpg (85.2 KB, 55 views)

2012 DL650 Adv,Trax boxes, GiviT480, Hepco Becker center stand, Enduro Guardian skidplate
post #6 of 16 Old 09-04-2013, 05:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgas View Post
Not the one as they are not through bolts. Also, the manual is wrong on that one.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...tatements.html

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #7 of 16 Old 09-04-2013, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgas View Post
Thanks for the info, but unfortunately those 8 bolts aren't the bolts I was talking about. Those are the engine mounting BRACKET bolts. I am looking for that huge cross through bolt. Greywolf got me squared away.

post #8 of 16 Old 09-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Crash Bar Mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
So if I'm correctly interpreting this thread and the link on service manual errors, the 8 mm bolts that attach the hanger should be torqued to 16.5 ft-lb, not to 25.5 ft-lb? And given how the bars respond to engine resonance at 4700 rpm, would it be better to install them with anti-seize or Locktite (or split the difference and use just a little oil)?

I don't have a lot of 4700 rpm resonance, but when I get time I'm going to remove and replace the bars to properly shim the side mounting points and insert some rubber in the center joint while they're apart. Others here have mentioned shims provided with these Suzuki bars, but ours were installed by the dealer as part of our initial purchase. They've always had a 1/4" wider gap on one side so I presume the dealer didn't shim them at all. Anyone have suggestions on a good place to buy inexpensive shim stock?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bar joints_opt.jpg (79.7 KB, 21 views)
post #9 of 16 Old 09-10-2013, 01:52 PM

Garage
Do torque the 8mm bolts to 16.5lb-ft, not 25.5lb-ft. That's got to be an error. I wouldn't use anti seize on them. Blue Loctite may be a good idea but does make them harder to remove. If the bars are touching the frame, that's wrong. There should be bushings between bars and frame to prevent that.

post #10 of 16 Old 09-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Torque

Thanks Pat. I'll go with 16.5 ft-lb. I only mentioned anti-seize because the OP went down that road. The nut on the main bolt gets 67.5 ft-lb "dry", right?. Can this bolt be removed w/o providing any other engine support? I'll need to pull it out to get both bar halves off.

Regarding bushings, you'll see a pair of thick washers on the engine bolt (at each end) and a longer bushing (about 3/4") on the forward/upper mounts with the 8 mm bolts. There are no visible shims, although maybe the thread which referenced shims was referring to these spacers/bushings.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...700-rpm-7.html

The final pic shows the gap between the bars and the lower fairing. That gap is 1.25" on the left side of the bike and 1.50" on the right. We bought two Glees with bars installed --- both have this difference in gap. I always assumed it was an error in the mfr's welding fixtures, but seeing the shim reference, began to wonder if it's supposed to be tweaked at installation? Maybe it's just something to ignore, but if I can correct it while removing the bars to insert some rubber in the center joint that would be nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bushing_opt.jpg (44.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Long bushing_opt.jpg (26.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg gap_opt.jpg (22.3 KB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode