Crispy Stator re-wind - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 Old 09-04-2013, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Crispy Stator re-wind

Good morning troopers, I figured I would share this with you guys:

Photo on 13-09-04 at 8.49 AM.jpg
Excuse the crappy photo, I only have a webcam at my disposal here at the office.
This is the stator off my Glee, which after 13 months and some 15000km has decided to spontaneously combust. Suzuki basically told me to screw myself for asking them to take a look at it free of charge one month after warranty expired and the part (#32101-17G11) is on a 3-4 week backorder everywhere.
I have decided to take it to some electric motor repair shop to get re-wound. I will post an after shot and do a write up on how the process went if anyone is interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 AM
$tromtrooper

Not good. I hope mine came from a different batch.

-Tom (DL650AL2) (KA1TOX) (E-I-E-I-O)

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
post #3 of 59 Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

Wow, first real failure of a part that I know of.

Are they the same as the first gen Vstrom 650? If so you can get one off flebay maybe...

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

post #4 of 59 Old 09-04-2013, 09:57 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
32101-17G10 is listed for for all 650s from 2007 on but 32101-17G11 has recently been shown as superseding 32101-17G10.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #5 of 59 Old 09-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Do you run a lot of electric accessories? Heated gear, lights - higher draw stuff like that which would put a load on the system?
post #6 of 59 Old 09-05-2013, 08:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsteve View Post
Do you run a lot of electric accessories? Heated gear, lights - higher draw stuff like that which would put a load on the system?
With larger electrical loads, the power produced is going to the loads rather than into heating the stator. It's probably easier on the stator to run more electrical loads since the magnetic field is produced by permanent magnets and is always at full strength.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #7 of 59 Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Heated grips that I haven't turned on in months, and a few bikeviz led bullet lights, so ill call that essenttially no high power draws. As well as HID lights, which acttually draw way less power than stock. From everything I've read here, it seems that more load actually aleviates stress on the stator.
post #8 of 59 Old 09-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

More load = Bad

I am sorry but Greywolf you are 100% incorrect in stating more loads = less heat= better for the stator. The stator is identical to an automotive alternator. The power produced is directly proportional to the power introduced into the system by the voltage regulator. When there are no loads the regulator REGULATES the input of current to the stator. This in turn changes the amount of output. As the loads on the electrical system increase the regulator will input more power into the stator to keep up with demand. The permanent magnet portion of the stator does not matter. The magnet is used to collapse the electrical field to induce the electricity.

Former ASE Master Technician
Currently Shop Superintendent AC Electric ~ Auburn
We rewind and repair electrical apparatus.

AC Electric Corp.
post #9 of 59 Old 09-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Garage
The V-Strom magneto is a very different animal from an automotive alternator. Automotive alternators vary the current to the stator to control the output by increasing or decreasing the magnetic field. The V-Strom magneto runs permanent magnets in a rotor around the stator to produce power and excess is turned into heat. The power output is always at maximum. The field strength is not variable. The stator windings are the output, not the input.

Last edited by greywolf; 09-05-2013 at 10:04 AM.
post #10 of 59 Old 09-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Ummm....Mr. Maine, our bikes have a 3 phase alternating current magneto. The permanent magnets provide a constant excitation to the armature windings. Electricity is generated by the rotating magnetic field passing across the conductors of the stator armature winding. The (cheap) shunt regulator uses high shorting currents in the stator windings to create an extra rotating magnetic field counteracting the rotating field from the permanent magnet. The resulting magnetic field is reduced and so are the induced voltages. The high shorting currents causes extra heat dissipation in the stator windings.

The MOSFET regulator is a better shunt regulator with more accurate control, but it still shunts excess power back to the windings.

An even better regulator is the series type which opens the armature circuit when voltage rises above the set point.

What our bikes do not have is an alternator with variable excitation. The voltage regulator does not control an excitation current to an electromagnetic field.

I haven't worked in a rewind shop, although I have spec'ed work and visited a very good one (DeMaria in L.A. where they were doing a $20k rewind on an irreplaceable* 50 hp DC motor for us). I've run generators and synchronous motors up to 4.5 megawatt, many AC generators in the 2 or 2.5 megawatt range, replaced voltage regulators on these where the regulator requires two men just to lift it into position, cleaned windings and slip rings and commutators, renewed brushes, replaced diodes, etc. When a 2 meg generator burns up the automatic voltage regulator and we have to run it with manual control of the field current for a couple of days--one gets an understanding of voltage regulation. Running one generator and bringing another into parallel and balancing the load was also a normal operation--match the speed and phase sequence of the on-coming generator, close the circuit breaker and put it on the bus, adjust the governors to balance the load, adjust the voltage regulators to balance the power factor.

*Why was that 50 hp DC motor irreplaceable? Well, nothing is, actually, but there were no more to be found, the manufacturer, Reliance, would not make any, and we really needed it--it had a brake on one end, a gear on the other, was waterproof, and had a frame that fit the winch foundation. I asked a good hydraulics shop about converting these winches to hydraulic, and they suggested staying with electric. I asked Tony DeMaria Sr., owner of the rewind shop, about a different electric set up, and he suggested hydraulics! My thought that if we were stuck was to go to a 75 hp AC motor, current limited to 50 hp (that's what the frame and gearing could handle), soft start, two speed, reversible.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.

Last edited by PTRider; 09-05-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode