2012 DL650abs Akrapovic Install with OEM Adventure Cases for Clearance - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-31-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Thumbs up 2012 DL650abs Akrapovic Install with OEM Adventure Cases for Clearance

Hi Everyone after working with one of our fellow Stromtroopers we have these photos and instructions for anyone wanting to install The Akrapovic Exhaust on the DL650abs with Adventure Luggage Racks to solve any clearance questions easily,

There are two holes on the strap, One originally intended for the canister strap bolt, and one smaller hole one below it nearest to the canister, Simply drill the smaller, lower hole, the same size as the original bolt hole as per the image.

Do not, as was suggested in some other installation tips, extend the existing bolt hole down by elongating it. Drill out the existing small lower hole to match the original bolt only,

Then install the canister and connector pipe sections as per the manual instructions with one exception.

Place the supplied 1 inch washer on the first bolt where the canister and connector pipe join together as per the image for the correct spacing.

This will make installing the 2012 DL650 abs Akrapovic Exhausts with the OEM Adventure Luggage Racks sweet and easy and eliminate clearance issues with the Exhaust Tip now clearing the back brace bar of the luggage rack and the pipe sitting very nicely in and tight to bike for lots of side clearance as well,

Let me know whenever I can help you out with anything,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

Last edited by SV Racing Parts; 09-03-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Could you possibly plz post a photo or twenty directly from the rear to better document the lateral clearance gained with this mod? I'm Glee-curious and one of my hangups is that I'm both symmetry-OCD and hate wide luggage setups such as the stock adv. I'd want to do a custom rack with an aftermarket can to get something symmetrical in the 36" total width range. There was a feller on this forum working on that with a GPR exhaust, but he seems to have moved on in all sorts of ways.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Thumbs up 2012 DL650abs Akrapovic Install with OEM Adventure Cases for Clearance

I just added in a photo to show you where the 1 inch spacer washer is installed,

This quick and easy mod will solve clearance and installation questions for our bikes regarding installing this great exhaust system,

Blair

Last edited by SV Racing Parts; 09-03-2013 at 07:13 PM.

post #4 of 18 Old 09-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

This mod still won't work on every Adventure. I drilled out the lower hole, which raised the can, but not nearly enough. I then cut about 1/2-inch off of the mid pipe. It still interferes with the stock rack. I posted some picture on another thread. My intent isn't to bash the Akrapovic system, I just to warn prospective buyers that it may not fit with the stock Adventure racks even after slicing and dicing.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

When Ron, who supplied the insight and photo did his, he did not want to cut the pipe so he worked out where to set the 1 inch spacer to give him the clearance he required,

I know that those following his approach have had good luck as well. If you would like Ron's email address to contact him directly to discuss the install and procedure you can send me an email request and I will send it directly to you rather than posting it up here,

Blair
post #6 of 18 Old 09-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Blair is correct. Have no fear installing an Akrapovic with the Adventure model. It is just a simple / easy drilling that is needed to get these awesome pipes on your bike. NO CUTTING OF PIPES NEEDED. I you need help or advice just PM. I will be more than happy to help.

Regards,
Ron

ImageUploadedByMO Free1380581276.171724.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 18 Old 10-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

if only i had the funds...

2012 DL650A; daily commuter http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157633330697107/
Sold: 2003 SV650: weekend canyon carver http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157630515234266/
post #8 of 18 Old 11-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-BONG View Post
Blair is correct. Have no fear installing an Akrapovic with the Adventure model. It is just a simple / easy drilling that is needed to get these awesome pipes on your bike. NO CUTTING OF PIPES NEEDED. I you need help or advice just PM. I will be more than happy to help.

Regards,
Ron

Attachment 52721

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I second that... I just installed these pipes and it was no problem (drilled the hole as suggested.) 2012 650 Adventure. Sounds great. Next is the Air Filter and power commander (tomorrow, I'm beat.)

2012 Vstrom 650 Adventure
2013 HD Softail Slim
2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
2012 Husky TE250

Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-13-2014, 11:13 PM
$tromtrooper

Awesome. I'm so glad no cutting is needed. Drilling one hole and following these great photos seems re-assuring.

It seems I recall DT complaining he never got the spacer. Without the spacer perhaps clearance was a problem. Even if missing, any hardware store would have spacers.

One question:
1) do the rivets really make a buzzing sound on the Akra pipes as two or three fellow troopers noted? If so, is there a solution?

current: '12 DL650 Russell seat & Akra CF and '13 WR250R
post #10 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

video showing off the sweet sound of that engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode