Changing stock bars - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-30-2013, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Changing stock bars

Oh VStrom gurus,

I love my VStrom. I have ordered a Sargent seat to replace the stock seat. The seat height and handle bar height are fine, however, I have a bad right wrist (reason for change from sportbikes to the VStrom!). The angle of the stock bars cause pain in the outside of my wrist. I know people have complained about the sweep of the stock bars, and if I adjust my wrist into a position with less rearward sweep the pain goes away.

So, I don't want to raise the bars or bring them further back, just to get less rearward sweep. What recommendations in bars do you have? What would provide the least effort in a bar swap and could re-use the stock controls/mirrors?I want to take pressure of my wrist and try and keep the same rider ergonmics/rider triangle.

Thanks for any advice!

2012 DL650A Adventure, Yoshimura R-77 3/4 exhaust, Sargent World Sport Performance Plus seat, ProTaper SE Raptor bars, SW-Motech 25mm risers, ProGrip Grips, Suzuki handguards, Tuono mirrors, Givi skid plate, Adventure Tech fork brace, GPS mount, peg lowering kit, auxiliary power shelf, SW-Motech convertible foot pegs, SW-Motech extended shift lever, SVRacing frame sliders, Garmin Zumo 660, MRA Xcreen, Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails, Eastern Beaver headlight relay, Coocase V37

Currently in the United Kingdom and looking for great rides. PM if you have suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

My brother put Pro-Taper 7/8" mid bend ATV bars on his, they were pretty close to stock in every way except they were less swept back. You can use all your stock parts with them except the stock bar ends since they do not have the welded in screw hole.

'02 SV650S
'04 DL1000
post #3 of 4 Old 08-30-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidse17 View Post
My brother put Pro-Taper 7/8" mid bend ATV bars on his, they were pretty close to stock in every way except they were less swept back. You can use all your stock parts with them except the stock bar ends since they do not have the welded in screw hole.
The bar ends screw into a rubber grommet which compresses to provide a pressure fit inside the bar tube. It should all be one assembly. As long as the replacement bar has a hole then it might still work. I will need them to mount my handguards, so I hope they will still work.

2012 DL650A Adventure, Yoshimura R-77 3/4 exhaust, Sargent World Sport Performance Plus seat, ProTaper SE Raptor bars, SW-Motech 25mm risers, ProGrip Grips, Suzuki handguards, Tuono mirrors, Givi skid plate, Adventure Tech fork brace, GPS mount, peg lowering kit, auxiliary power shelf, SW-Motech convertible foot pegs, SW-Motech extended shift lever, SVRacing frame sliders, Garmin Zumo 660, MRA Xcreen, Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails, Eastern Beaver headlight relay, Coocase V37

Currently in the United Kingdom and looking for great rides. PM if you have suggestions.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-30-2013, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Well, I think that I might have answered my own question. Looking on the Pro Taper website, I was comparing the specs of the individual bars to the OEM '12 VStrom bar. The Pro Taper SE Raptor seems to be the closest in measurements to the OEM with less sweep. The center horizontal is narrower (where it mounts to risers) as is the overall width as compared to the ATV style Pro Tapers. The overall height is similar. Pretty much everything is similar except the Raptor has less sweep.

I have read posts of people using the SE ATV bars and have had brake/clutch line issues (measurements show wider horizontal where clamps into risers and also overall greater width than OEM). With the Raptor being narrower and clser to OEM specs, that should alleviate the brake/clutch line length issues.

Bottom line... from just measurements, anyone who wants a bar similar to the OEM bar but with less rearward sweep, the Pro Taper SE Raptor seems the best bet.

Anyone tried these?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode