Skene P3 w/Turn Signals & EB Tail Light Adaptor - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Skene P3 w/Turn Signals & EB Tail Light Adaptor

Hi Stromers,

I’ve been a lurker for awhile before buying a 2012 Vstrom 650 in July 2012. Here’s the payback for all the great ideas I gleamed from the site.

This project adds Skene P3 Lights with turn signals, utilizing Eastern Beavers Tail light adaptor (version 2) to a 2012 Vstrom 650. The lights will be mounted on the stock license plate bracket without the use of the Skene brackets for simplicity. Be sure to ensure the wires protruding from the rear of the LED assembly clear the license bracket. The Skene IQ-160-TS controller will be double-sticky taped to the roof of the tool compartment toward the right side, to ensure that no existing tools will be displaced by this installation. All wiring will be ty-rap’d and dressed to the space outside the tool tray, further ensuring no wasted space.

Please note that I deviated from supplies provided with the Skene P3, by utilizing crimp connectors with integrated heat shrink tubing, but the project can be completed with what is supplied in the kit.

Although I drilled holes in the license plate bracket while still on the bike, it may be easier to remove the bracket and drill it on a bench. (You may even drill them more symmetrically than I did)

There is open space under the fender that accesses the rear of the tool tray to facilitate fishing the LED wires up using a coat hanger or chicken wire. Tie a knot in the left LED assembly wire to differentiate this, as it will connect to the shorter flat wire of the controller. The right LED assembly wire will connect to the long flat wire of the controller. All other wires (controller & EB adaptor cable) are straight forward.

My installation utilizes the EB version 2 cable, which has an extra wire (PURPLE) that must be twisted with the RED EB brake wire to enable a brake light output to the Skene controller.

The wire connections are as follows:

Function->EB Adaptor ->Skene P3 w/TS [LED Assembly]
Brake->Red&Purple->White
Running->White->Red
Left turn->Yellow->Green [Short Flat wire-knot in wire]
Right turn->Blue->Yellow [Long Flat wire]
Ground->Black->Black

This installation should take about 1.5 hours for an average person to perform.

All products (Skene & EB) supplied are of high quality and provided the installation is neat and with integrity, should last the lifetime of the bike. I personally know of a few Skene LED installations that are 5 years old with no problems whatsoever.

Vstrom Feature – Remember the “parking light” position on our key switch that everybody complains about. Well, the Skene P3 allows you to adhoc configure your LEDs to emergency flash repeatedly (even quad flash) and retain that configuration till the brakes are depressed. So you can park your bike to the side of the road while attending an emergency and adhoc configure the emergency flashing feature, rotate the ignition key off to “parking” and remove the key. To restore to normal, just turn the ignition key to start and depress the brake and it resets to normal operation.

Pictures to follow once I can figure how to post.

Enjoy!
Ken (Kenscoots)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (33.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (32.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (55.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (57.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (53.6 KB, 75 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 07:08 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I don't know who closed this thread and why so I'm opening it before people start throwing rocks at me.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Thanks GW.
Here's the rest of the pictures.

....Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (47.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (45.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (43.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (46.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (48.0 KB, 35 views)

post #4 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Last set.

...Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (47.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (52.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (51.9 KB, 32 views)
post #5 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nice write up, thanks for the post and the pictures.

I have the yellow Skeene visibility lights mounted on my forks. I didn't spring for the extra $ to make them also operate as turn signals and I wish I had. They've worked well and really get peoples attention.

I'd like to add a set of these to my top box in addition to my Lite Blazer rear license plate bar.

'12 DL650A VStrom
post #6 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 09:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nice work and write up. Thanks for posting. I was behind a bike with these, they really get your attention. Best product I have seen for rear visibility.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

I like 'em.

They are so annoying (read that effective) that last tech day we installed a ground interrupt into Taters system so it can be deactivated when riding in a group.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

'09 Wee, Orange. Uh, Er...White, No, Wait, ORANGE!

" I like my Motorcycle's Loud and my Firearms Quiet." -Me
post #8 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

I originally saw Skene lights 5 years ago at a Finger Lakes BMW Rally, but already had a tail light modulator at the time. A couple of guys in my club also have these installed. Definitely attracts cager's attention.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 07:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

P3s

I have had the p3s on my strom for a year and a half. I just installed another pod of, I believe it was twelve, LEDs along side the original twelve on each side of my license plate.( an eighty dollar mod.) the p3 system is probably the best money I've spent on my safety. Riders comment on the flicker of these lights and how it caught their eye. Highly recommended.,
post #10 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked steve View Post
Nice write up, thanks for the post and the pictures.

I have the yellow Skeene visibility lights mounted on my forks. I didn't spring for the extra $ to make them also operate as turn signals and I wish I had. They've worked well and really get peoples attention.

I'd like to add a set of these to my top box in addition to my Lite Blazer rear license plate bar.
What brackets did you use?

After I take my MSF course, I'm going to make another purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
eb tail light adaptor , lights , skene p3 ts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode