Scott steering stabilizer...Awesome! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 Old 08-26-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Scott steering stabilizer...Awesome!

Just a quick note on the Scotts steering stabilizer addition to the 2012 Adventure. Awesome! I have nearly every farkle made for this bike from Pivotz Pegs to Touratech headlights guards- hell, it's just money . Most are simply OK and add some usable features, but the Scotts is one of the few that literally transformed the bike. Got rid of the loose front end feel on and off road (yes, I have a fork brace already). It makes gravel roads a totally different experience. Like a 20 mph difference. I'm headed out to do the COBDR (Touratech's Colorado Back Country Discovery Route) on Sat and I'm so glad I added the Scotts beforehand. If you're thinking about it, do it!

Oh yeah, buy it from Blair at svracing.com. I have never dealt with him before. To say the he is a cool guy that provides top notch service would be a massive understatement.

Last thing- it won't mount up if you have traditional bar risers. I had the Tusk 30mm risers and had to remove. I ordered taller bars instead (Pro Taper SE ATV High).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 08-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

stabilizer

did you first try adjusting the steering stem bearings - just cause its from the factory does not mean they were dead right
post #3 of 57 Old 08-26-2013, 03:36 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I don't notice any difference with my steering stabilizer. It only does something when there is a high speed deflection of some magnitude. It's there so I never have another tank slapper, not because it does anything for the handling.
Skew likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html

post #4 of 57 Old 08-26-2013, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
did you first try adjusting the steering stem bearings - just cause its from the factory does not mean they were dead right
I did not try that.
post #5 of 57 Old 08-26-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
I don't notice any difference with my steering stabilizer. It only does something when there is a high speed deflection of some magnitude. It's there so I never have another tank slapper, not because it does anything for the handling.
The biggest difference is off-road and rough-road cornering. I know that you don't off road your bike, so it certainly would be less noticeable, as is mine on the tarmac. As you know, it's adjustable and I have it tuned more towards the dirt side of things.

BTW- tank slappers do suck!!
post #6 of 57 Old 08-26-2013, 04:12 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Rough surface handling makes a big difference all right. Road construction areas with edge traps make me happy I have the Scotts.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #7 of 57 Old 08-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Note that there is a difference between the Scott's stabilizer intended for off-road use (no rebound valving) and on-road (with rebound valving). Rebound damping is return-to-center damping.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #8 of 57 Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 dogs View Post
Just a quick note on the Scotts steering stabilizer addition to the 2012 Adventure. Awesome! I have nearly every farkle made for this bike from Pivotz Pegs to Touratech headlights guards- hell, it's just money . Most are simply OK and add some usable features, but the Scotts is one of the few that literally transformed the bike. Got rid of the loose front end feel on and off road (yes, I have a fork brace already). It makes gravel roads a totally different experience. Like a 20 mph difference. I'm headed out to do the COBDR (Touratech's Colorado Back Country Discovery Route) on Sat and I'm so glad I added the Scotts beforehand. If you're thinking about it, do it!

Oh yeah, buy it from Blair at svracing.com. I have never dealt with him before. To say the he is a cool guy that provides top notch service would be a massive understatement.

Last thing- it won't mount up if you have traditional bar risers. I had the Tusk 30mm risers and had to remove. I ordered taller bars instead (Pro Taper SE ATV High).
Good stuff, glad to hear that it makes a big difference to the off road capabilities. Thats what these things are designed for and it sound likes yours will get a good use with the ride you have upcoming. Sounds spectacular and make sure to post pics of your excursion.

Finding myself off road even more I would be very interested on hearing your feedback of how this continues to perform off the beaten track. I would like to see some pictures of it as well if you can.
post #9 of 57 Old 08-26-2013, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxOrange View Post
Good stuff, glad to hear that it makes a big difference to the off road capabilities. Thats what these things are designed for and it sound likes yours will get a good use with the ride you have upcoming. Sounds spectacular and make sure to post pics of your excursion.

Finding myself off road even more I would be very interested on hearing your feedback of how this continues to perform off the beaten track. I would like to see some pictures of it as well if you can.
I'll keep you up to date. It sounds like hype, but the stabilizer really does make a big difference. To me it's a whole new bike off road.

Where in Australia are you located? I travel there often and have hired a bike on several occasions for a few weeks of riding. I'm headed back in Oct for a few weeks (Brisbane to start).

Cheers!
post #10 of 57 Old 08-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've been on the fence about the stabilizer, having replaced stem bearings and tightened them just a bit. I experienced some significant buffeting the other day while getting on a local highway and being penned in by two large 18 wheelers.

Looks like I should just do it.

Bob
07 Wee
10 NT 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode