GStrom Tank Removal & Air Filter Access Photo Guide - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 158 Old 09-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks so much for this, it was really handy (though it took me a fair bit longer than 20 minutes the first time around, I think it'll be much easier next time!).

If anyone wants to take on the front spark plugs inspection/replacement and the valve inspection job, that would be absolutely awesome...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 158 Old 09-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hmm, so 20 minutes? How about I add six hours in front of that?

Haven't tried this yet, but thanks for the handy guide with nice pics.
post #23 of 158 Old 09-22-2013, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploughjockey View Post
Thanks so much for this, it was really handy (though it took me a fair bit longer than 20 minutes the first time around, I think it'll be much easier next time!).

If anyone wants to take on the front spark plugs inspection/replacement and the valve inspection job, that would be absolutely awesome...
Glad this is being well received. It really is not that bad, just need a little faith when tugging on the tank covers the first time.

I plan on doing the same thing for those items in about a month.

DSR650

DualSport Rider 650
2012 DL650A-L2 ABS ADV
2003 KLR650

post #24 of 158 Old 10-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSRider650 View Post
Glad this is being well received. It really is not that bad, just need a little faith when tugging on the tank covers the first time.

I plan on doing the same thing for those items in about a month.

DSR650
Totally helpful, thank you. Made my day a lot better. Got the Eastern Beaver H4 and 3 circuit installed.

[URL="https://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/211578-california-idaho-lolo-motorway-magruder.html"]California to Idaho Adventure style[/URL]
[URL=http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478959]Taking America by Strom 2015[/URL]

-----------------------
Timing is everything.
post #25 of 158 Old 10-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

How many miles did you put on the air filter before changing it?
post #26 of 158 Old 10-31-2013, 01:14 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I have really been thinking of getting a Vstrom for my next bike, but this has really put me off. On average when on our weekend excursions the air filters need to be cleaned out once or twice and normally on the side of the road. These are dirt fire roads, sand pits, trails, mud, water, and pavement combo usually a hundred to 175 miles in a day. What are you guys doing to prevent dust, dirt and bugs from entering you air box or is no one really using these bikes as adventure bikes. I do not mean to sound insulting I just would like some honest feed back. Or is this not the bike i should be looking at. I know many BMW GS guys who ride but never see a dirt road.
post #27 of 158 Old 10-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Interesting question. The air filter is a PITA to access, especially roadside. However, it is very well protected and that should partially negate that issue. Mine hasn't been off road or even dirt roaded. I would say that the bike is inappropriate for single tracks. I specifically avoided my normal dirt road shortcut as it was very dry and dusty and I have had my chain pretty juicy. I do plan to hit some dirt roads on some future excursions and should probably try it out off road here locally first but I do have several DRs that I normally use for that.

. . . . . BIKES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . DL650 FARKLES
2013 DL650 Adventure . . . . . . BB VPS, HT Center Stand,
2009 DR650, 2009 DRZ400 . . . .Kaoko, Oxford Grips.
2002 ZG1000, 1999 DR350 . . . .EB PC-8, ABS Switch &
-Some others long gone-. . . . . Headlight Relay Kit.
75&77 CB400F, 78 GS550 . . . . AdvTech Fork Brace,
---- First Bike ----. . . . . . . . . Peg Lowering Kit,
------ 1973 ------. . . . . . . . . Aux Shelf & Over Dash Shelf.
-- Suzuki T-500 --. . . . . . . . . E. G. Bash Plate & Hwy Pegs
post #28 of 158 Old 10-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Interesting question. The air filter is a PITA to access, especially roadside. However, it is very well protected and that should partially negate that issue. Mine hasn't been off road or even dirt roaded. I would say that the bike is inappropriate for single tracks. I specifically avoided my normal dirt road shortcut as it was very dry and dusty and I have had my chain pretty juicy. I do plan to hit some dirt roads on some future excursions and should probably try it out off road here locally first but I do have several DRs that I normally use for that.
Thanks Oink,

many people claim they are good for the riding I am talking about, but I have my doubts and you seem to confirm that I should remain with the DR, klr, or something more of that nature.
post #29 of 158 Old 10-31-2013, 03:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just don't forget that you have to get from point A (Home) to B (Off Road Adventure Spot) and it's always a trade off. DR or KLR fairly good off road but marginal on the slab getting there. DL650 not so good off road but doable but much better on the slab. Sport Tourer, (In my case an old ZG1000) Great on the slab and 100% useless off road. At some point I would load my DR Z400 in my F150 and haul it there.

. . . . . BIKES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . DL650 FARKLES
2013 DL650 Adventure . . . . . . BB VPS, HT Center Stand,
2009 DR650, 2009 DRZ400 . . . .Kaoko, Oxford Grips.
2002 ZG1000, 1999 DR350 . . . .EB PC-8, ABS Switch &
-Some others long gone-. . . . . Headlight Relay Kit.
75&77 CB400F, 78 GS550 . . . . AdvTech Fork Brace,
---- First Bike ----. . . . . . . . . Peg Lowering Kit,
------ 1973 ------. . . . . . . . . Aux Shelf & Over Dash Shelf.
-- Suzuki T-500 --. . . . . . . . . E. G. Bash Plate & Hwy Pegs
post #30 of 158 Old 10-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

right now I am down to 1 bike 2011 Ural Gear Up which I commute and beat on everyday year round in Western Maine. And no cage to speak of my wife does have a car. I cannot stand being in a car or truck anymore. The second bike needs some off road or at very least fire roads. But I would like a little more speed and comfort as well. I was considering the R1200GSW but really that much money I could buy two other bikes and get more variety in the process.

Last edited by yearrounder; 10-31-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode