GStrom Tank Removal & Air Filter Access Photo Guide - Page 16 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 158 Old 02-07-2018, 09:01 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I'm pretty sure the third hose is a vent that doesn't attach to anything. It just prevents the good old finger on the top of the straw effect to pick up some liquid.
VstromGrin likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 158 Old 02-08-2018, 06:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks GW, I buttoned her back up anyway, hopefully she'll breathe a bit easier now.
post #153 of 158 Old 02-10-2018, 08:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks so much for going to trouble of posting this, DSRider650.
Very much appreciated, and I'm happy to report a successful (and easy, thanks to you) replacement of the original air filter with a shiny new K&N.
Cheers,
Flatty.

post #154 of 158 Old 02-10-2018, 09:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

The bike is going so much better with the new air filter, I really notice a change in performance, thanks for the help folks.
post #155 of 158 Old 04-20-2018, 06:50 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdofthree View Post
After struggling substantially with the fuel line connector the first few times I removed the tank -- to the point of walking away multiple times -- I finally figured out a way to easily remove and re-attach my fuel line connector on the under side of the tank. YMMV.

I've attached 4 pics -- fourth is the crucial one, for me (happy to upload higher res pics off-site by request):

01 | shows the blue tabs one pinches (red box) to depress the blue ramps (green box) which lock the black connector into place.

02 | Shows the same blue tabs as the previous pic (red box), but a better view of the blue ramps (green box) which secure the black connector by expanding into the black connector's open slots.

03 | Shows the slots in the black connector (blue box) into which the blue ramps expand, thereby securing the connector. To remove, the blue ramps need to be depressed enough to allow the black connector to slide off the blue ramps.

The fuel line attached to the black connector is right-angle, and on my bike angles down and forward of the fuel line spigot to which the connector attaches. In my case, the slight weight and angle of the fuel line applied enough lateral pressure to misalign the black connector's position over the blue ramps, thereby preventing the blue ramps from disengaging even after pinching the blue tabs as far as they would go.

04 | The solution I struck upon: lift the fuel line (in my case up and back) just a bit (yellow arrow) to relieve the lateral pressure on the connector and ensure connector alignment, while (as many others have noted) simultaneously depressing the blue tabs (red box) and pushing the black connector towards the blue tabs (purple arrow) to release the blue ramps (green box) and finally pull the black connector off (blue arrow).

I previously had a hard time gauging whether the connector was secured properly and safely. Using the method above to relieve the lateral pressure makes it easy for me to feel when the blue ramps click into place in the black connector's slots.

I can now detach and attach the connector at will, less than a second each direction. What a relief!
Pushing up in direction of yellow arrow was the trick for me. Thanks to Greywolf and original poster.

Sent from my A1-850 using Tapatalk
post #156 of 158 Old 07-22-2018, 12:17 PM
$tromtrooper

Awesome tutorial. Worked 100% as stated. Thanks

current: '12 DL650 Russell seat & Akra CF; '16 FZ-09 blue w/Ohlins; '13 WR250R; '05 TTR 250 Sold: KTM 990A, KLX400, '07 Wee, '09 Sherco 2.9 trials and well over a dozen others
post #157 of 158 Old 10-23-2018, 10:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

In case anyone is still following this thread... I'm finally getting around to installing my GPS mount and a new dashcam system on my '12. Will it be sufficient to remove the sidepanels to fish the wiring from the front of the bike to the battery compartment? If not, will simply lifting up the rear of the fuel tank give enough access, or do I need to remove it completely? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R / Galaxy Silver (Traded In)
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 / Metallic Fox Orange
http://2012v-strom650.blogspot.com
post #158 of 158 Old 10-23-2018, 02:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator7G View Post
In case anyone is still following this thread... I'm finally getting around to installing my GPS mount and a new dashcam system on my '12. Will it be sufficient to remove the sidepanels to fish the wiring from the front of the bike to the battery compartment? If not, will simply lifting up the rear of the fuel tank give enough access, or do I need to remove it completely? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
You should be able to just lift the tank from the rear, but you may want to just take it off so you can see better and have more access in the front. Plus you can check your air filter while you are at it
brutalguyracing likes this.

Got the heart attack over and done with - Prudhoe Bay or Bust!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode