Windscreen and Buffeting 2012+ DL650 - Appendix 1 - Custom Deflectors - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 174 Old 07-21-2013, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
Brilliant.

On the rubber stickies you may be able to use a small amount of tank gripper material for long lasting result. OR it may make sense to permanently fasten with hardware a rubber standoff on the deflector.
Excellent idea. I recall it being quite costly stuff, but will go look around. I guess the trick is going to be to find something that sticks to the plastic well enough to last through a wash or wet ride... And looks fair decent. My small black disks are working well and blend into the plastic pretty well... But I can see they aren't going to stay stuck for very long

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 174 Old 07-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I'll be following this thread too! On my 2012 I installed the SW Motech light mounts and some LED lights that actually smoothed out airflow some. I have experimented with tank deflectors on the earlier model V Stroms ( they are still on the '04, pic of them on the '03 below the levers and mounted on the tank area ) and they make a worthwhile difference. I will be working on something for my 2012...

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #13 of 174 Old 07-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm working on a way to solve this. As soon as I or anyone else has a bright idea... please let us know!

Hope this helps. Anyone else with good ideas how to improve this concept please don't hesitate to contribute.

:biggrinjester:
So, I want to do this.

I'm thinking of adding a tab to the lower edge that may rub the panel bending it back parallel with the panel then drilling a small hole in the tab and put a rubber bumper that many hardware stores sell. (the bumpers are much like the one on my sw motech center stand that is a rubber disc with a mushroomed nub that pushes through a hole much smaller than the bumper and holds it there).

Conversely, you could drill a small hole in the panel where the air flare contacts it and place the nub of the bumper through that. You wouldn't have to worry about it ever falling off or moving and it may be much easier. Of course, then you're putting a hole (prob 1/8") into your bike. many may not like that.

something like this...

thoughts?

BTW, Great Post!!! Thanks for taking the time to write this up!

Jonathan

*Empty Stable*

Last edited by rollgibbon; 07-22-2013 at 04:23 PM.

post #14 of 174 Old 07-22-2013, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Now this I like... Will see how I might adjust the template with a tab or two. Any idea where we could purchase these 'shrooms?
Thanks for the input. Fantastic!

post #15 of 174 Old 07-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

"shrooms"

Quote:
Now this I like... Will see how I might adjust the template with a tab or two. Any idea where we could purchase these 'shrooms?
Thanks for the input. Fantastic!

Any local hardware store should have a variant of these. Check back by all the specialty knobs, bushings and grommets. I'm pretty sure they're called "bumpers."

Jonathan

*Empty Stable*

Last edited by rollgibbon; 07-22-2013 at 06:27 PM.
post #16 of 174 Old 07-27-2013, 10:15 PM
DRD
Stromthusiast!

Well I put the set I was making on hold and copied the set posted here. I made them up in about 3 hours and bolted them up last night. This morning went for a quick 300+ mile ride and I notice a huge difference immediately! there staying on! Well worth the effort. Thanks [email protected]

DRD

2013 Blue DL650
post #17 of 174 Old 08-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just have seen this. I really like the idea.

It will be perfect to attatch the deflector at each side of the tacho, in front of handlebar.

I'll try to make something like this.

Do you have the shape in pdf or any other digital format?
post #18 of 174 Old 08-03-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hey there, sorry but no, just freehand.

post #19 of 174 Old 08-04-2013, 01:12 AM
DRD
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boni_y_yo View Post
Just have seen this. I really like the idea.

It will be perfect to attatch the deflector at each side of the tacho, in front of handlebar.

I'll try to make something like this.

Do you have the shape in pdf or any other digital format?
What I did was copy the picture then print it out. Put it back on the printer and blew it up 200% is the perfect size.

DRD

2013 Blue DL650
post #20 of 174 Old 08-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
About 3mm

Yes absolutely - riding is now a totally different experience, even with the makeshift idea-in-the-making the effect is very noticeable. The air around the front of my torso is still and the buffeting is stopped. The noise 'booming' in my helmet is greatly reduced (completely eliminated with my Sparx Octane helmet, not entirely with my Shark flip face, but my hand-guards appear to be the main culprit now) and I can move the GIVI AF3101 to different heights to match differing speeds (traffic, outrides, etc.) and/or I'm using my gel seat pad so sitting a little higher up, etc. etc.

I can hear the bike now - which is awesome! :mrgreen:
mark,
excellent idea. got 6k on my bike and i just did 800mi this weekend and by hanging my left hand off the switchgear, it dramatically reduced the drumming. surprise...could it be that simple? tried all the windscreens and have the givi af now. i think u may have a real solution to correct a good portion of this problem that looks good. when the final flare design is complete i think you should make them available to all. i'm 1st in line for a set. if i make them myself, i'll make a mess of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
air flares , buffeting , glee , noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode