StromTrooper banner

Aux Connector and Heated Grip Connector Location

286K views 394 replies 139 participants last post by  Doogles911 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Took me a little while to find these connectors from the post I was able to find on this forum. I hope these pictures help shorten the time for someone else. First round is the Aux connector location. I included a picture of the Eastern Beaver Accessory Adapter with the positive and negative wires labeled. My Accessory Adapter came with white and black wires. The heated grip connector is bare to fit the mating connector. The Aux connector has a cover that must be removed to use. See posts #46 & #47 in this thread.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Maybe somebody at Suzuki finally realized the black connector fixed with black tape that was used for years was hard to find.

#5 ·
And then?

I'm sure I'm missing something, but are you saying that you installed something using these locations? I've been interested in adding heated grips, so if this will help make the process easier, I'm all ears!

Thanks for the pics

#7 ·
My intent was to help others when doing installs and all I found were verbal descriptions like this one. http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/110857-help-left-side-aux-plug-location.html

Here is a thread http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/71221-2012-heated-grip-install.html I had found about Heated grip install and I looked at it but didn't find nice pretty pics marking the where the connectors are, which would have helped me in locating the connectors. So I was attempting to give back to the community I have been lurking on and gleaning info from.

Anyway to answer your question. I installed Rickland Ricks Aux shelf but am still thinking about heated grips.
Here is a thread with my Aux shelf install. http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/112513-adventure-tech-aux-shelf-install.html

#9 · (Edited)
I agree. Stuck it is, and full size pics added to the thumbnails.

#11 ·
The aux connector is basically for a GPS or phone charger. It's light duty. The heated grip connector is probably good for 40W or so.

#228 ·
So a 12 volt laptop charger at 45 watts might be too much?

#12 ·
Wow thanks a ton! Will save a lot of time come fall.

#14 ·
The connector is the 2P090wp-MT-Special B. VStrom also shown on SM-MT

#16 ·
The typical connector you describe is an SAE connector. You aren't going to find one of those on a Japanese bike. You're more likely to find Japanese connectors on a Harley.

#18 ·
According to what I've read, at least most Harleys use Japanese Showa forks and Japanese electrics.

#19 · (Edited)
wiring 2P090WP-MT-SPB connector

Ive ordered the conector
2P090WP-MT-SPB for my after market heated grips. They are the ones with a high/low setting with a small toggle switch.

I am lookin for advice on wiring the OEM
2P090WP-MT-SPB connector. Do you run both high and low wires into one side of the connector?:confused:

I wired my bike up, not knowing of the OEM location.
My heated grips have 3 wires for each grip heater:

high > blue
Low > white
Ground > red

I tied in the blue to blue, and the white to white, and then the ground red wire for both sides.

I tapped a headlight wire and grounded it to the frame. it works but is a bit goofy.

I would like to use the OEM connector but I am unsure of the wiring on the connector I ordered:
2P090WP-MT-SPB

Thanks

#20 ·
The aux connector doesn't supply enough power for heated grips. You'll blow the ignition fuse. Use the heated grip connector. Don't ground to the frame. It can cause corrosion with a combined steel and aluminum frame. Check the wiring diagram with the grips. The blue and white wires go to the switch. The red wire goes to the heated grip connector negative (black/white on the bike). The hot wire to the switch goes to the heated grip connector positive. (orange/green on the bike).

#24 · (Edited)
Just bought & installed the same shelf, but w/o the voltmeter. Where did you plug in the sockets? One to the aux plug & other to the heated grip plug? I've found both thanks to your helpful pix in this thread.

I saw in another post that the heated grip plug is only hot when the ignition is on. How about the aux plug?

#25 ·
Where did you plug in the sockets?
I used the aux plug for everything on my shelf. I just put two wires in each crimp terminal to run to the next item until I reached the last item to wire up which I just put one wire in that terminal.

I saw in another post that the heated grip plug is only hot when the ignition is on. How about the aux plug?
The aux connector is only hot when the ignition is on.

#26 ·
Factory Heated Grips Pigtail P/N

Does anyone know the factory heated grips pigtail part number?

Thanks in advance...

#27 ·
There isn't a separate part. However, there are two sources that will fit. A Suzuki horn lead will plug into the heated grips connector. Part number 36852-06G00

Also An Eastern Beaver VStrom heated grip adapter from VStrom will plug right in to the OEM connector. There is a $20 minimum order there though.

#29 ·
#30 ·
Well that sux.

So I guess in my case I would need;

H4 Dual Headlight Relay Kit FUSEHOLDER BATTERY CONNECT<-- I guess due to warranty, this would be the best solution for me, don't really want to hard wire it so it can be removed if needed.

&

VStrom Factory Heated Grip to Fuse Panel Adapter

The aux connector is basically for a GPS or phone charger. It's light duty. The heated grip connector is probably good for 40W or so.
The aux connector doesn't supply enough power for heated grips. You'll blow the ignition fuse. Use the heated grip connector. Don't ground to the frame. It can cause corrosion with a combined steel and aluminum frame. Check the wiring diagram with the grips. The blue and white wires go to the switch. The red wire goes to the heated grip connector negative (black/white on the bike). The hot wire to the switch goes to the heated grip connector positive. (orange/green on the bike).
Yet on the EB site it says: The factory heated grip connector is not the best place to supply power to heated grips.

&

DL650 2012 - on Accessory Adapter On DL650 DIY Kit (3 terminals and 3 seals) if need later for GPS.

#35 ·
Aux connector in the tail

I just bought a set of Hyper-Lites for my 2013. I lifted the seat and started poking around in the taillight wiring. That's when I discovered an unused plug. It's a six wire plug but only four wires go into the plug. Anyone know what this plug is for, and what the four wires are?

Thanks -

Paul Delau
Minnetonka Minnesota

#36 ·
#38 ·
I guess you're blind. VStrom

The the power leads for the relay kit connect to the battery or a fuse panel, not bike wiring. Posi Locks are not appropriate. The only connection to the bike wiring is the coupler that connects to one of the stock headlight connectors.

#39 · (Edited)
No, you need to re-read my post.

If you can get the AUX plug/connections&Seal on it's own, why can't you get the VStrom Heated Grip Adaptor plug on its own?

I want the plug only and not the attached wiring, why would I need the wires if the wires already come with the heated grips? I just want the compatible end plug which connects to the loom.

The way I read it was that you cut off the stock couplers so you don't have 2 dangling away hence the reason why you would need the posi locks or soldering option.

#40 ·
So you want the plug without the wires? I didn't get that from the plug alone statement. Wire to wire connections are more common. The connector is the 2PO90, the top one at 090 Connectors

You can cut off the stock connectors but most people just use the male coupler in the kit and tape off the unused female connector. That allows using the stock wiring if selling the bike or in case a problem occurs. If you want to cut and connect, you could order Posi Locks.

#41 ·
So you want the plug without the wires? I didn't get that from the plug alone statement. Wire to wire connections are more common. The connector is the 2PO90, the top one at 090 Connectors

Yes, well I figured instead of chopping up wires and due to the bike still being under warranty, I might as well use the existing plugs if they're there. And it keeps the cost down.

You can cut off the stock connectors but most people just use the male coupler in the kit and tape off the unused female connector. That allows using the stock wiring if selling the bike or in case a problem occurs. If you want to cut and connect, you could order Posi Locks.
Yes I would like to keep the stocks, I do not with to go down the path of posi locks due to warranty.

My Final Purchase List:

H4 Dual Relay Kit = No cutting, simple plug and play
Item # H4DRK
Main Leads Connection: Fuseholder = Plugs straight into battery.
$64.95

DL650 2012 Accessory Adapter Kit = Plug only
Item # DL650-2012AAK
$1.95

2 Position 090 HM Connector Set = Plug only
Item # 2P090-HM-Set
$2.49

#43 ·
It runs off the 10A ignition fuse. You might want to run the device you are adding through a 2A or 3A fuse of its own to keep a short in your added wiring from cutting out the bike's ignition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.