GPR evo exhaust & PCV with auto tune - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

GPR evo exhaust & PCV with auto tune

I have been busy during the cold winter months up here. The list so far of parts added (I have also been servicing it too) to my 2010 wee are moose racing -4" screen & KTM mirrors (from Moto science) to hopefully cut out some of the buffeting (not wind I can cope with that) which I think makes the bike look a little more sporty (I never like the Stroms stock mirrors they look horrible to me , each to their own as they say) & attractive from the front.

Next came the GPR exhaust which I got from the UK at a greatly reduced price compared to others for sale in North America, the one thing I liked about the GPR is they are made road legal in Europe so should work straight out of the box with no need for changing fuelling (so they say & it did) , I plan to run it with the front baffle removed (they call it a front db killer) & rear db killer in so I don't wake the neighbours too much. So far having run it on the stands it is deeper but not super loud, it looks nice too & of course has shed a lot of weight from the stock exhaust.

I then picked up a PCV with auto tune from Blair at SV racing which I am very pleased with so far. Blairs price, customer service & the quality of dynojets product are all top notch. It all worked straight from the box the only problem I had was getting the rear cylinder injector plug off which I think was due to me working on it at 27F in my unheated garage. I have to say that I saw a lot of problems on various bike forums for the PCV & auto tune, most of which were bad installs or not following the instructions, I squirted in Blairs map and fired the bike up & it all worked first time immediately. I started to work out the resistance/voltage from the ECT to set up engine temps then decided sod it, I just measured the voltage at the input to PCV at 27F & when bike fan cut in & the range seems fine. It runs at an indicated 206F when the fan cuts in & 200F when it cuts out which is close enough for me and I set up the auto tune to enable at 170F. I then enabled the auto tune & ran the bike in 2nd gear & applied the rear brake to put a little load on the engine & the auto tune started to do its thing.
Obviously I need to get the bike on the road to get the auto tune to work fully ( not going to happen any time soon up here in Canada) but I noted the tables to 4000 rpm from the map was too rich, AFR was 10-11 all the way up, I accepted the trim & sent the updated map to the PCV now the indicated AFR in the 2% throttle up to 400rpm (couldn't give it too much as the neighbours were all home) now are all at between 13.2 & 13.5 which should give me a good starting base for tuning the PCV for optimal AFR's.
Once I have got the PCV running optimally & everything checks out, then I plan on inputting gear ratios & making AFR tables for each gear not sure what this will give me but as its there I might as well use it & I like doing this kind of stuff anyway. The plan is for 5th & 6th gear to give the cruise range (5 to 20% throttle a slightly higher AFR for better MPG over the other gears
I also have a engine spoiler winging its way from Greece & a pair solenoid removal resistor coming from a freind (pair system removed to stop exhaust popping on decal & it screws up auto tune so for now the pipes are just removed/bunged) then hopefully the weather will have warmed a little & I can actually get out & ride the thing.

Last edited by Willow; 02-15-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode