Wee vs Super Tenere - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-05-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Wee vs Super Tenere

Is this even a fair comparison? I'm contemplating a pre owned Super Tenere at a very good price and I was amazed when I posted on the S10 forum how many responses I got saying the Wee is an awesome bike and I wouldn't be gaining too much by switching. Ant thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-06-2012, 12:05 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
If comparing shaft to chain, excellent suspension and brakes to budget systems, more HP to less HP, more watts to less watts, and better on and off road manners to not quite as competent? Guess it is what you are ultimately looking for in a motorcycle. Both are great bikes, go with your gut.
Byronw likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 13 Old 08-06-2012, 02:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Not really fair to compare the two bikes. The new Wee offers a lot of bike for the money and in my case does everything that i need it to due plus more, if i bought the Yamaha i would only be parting with a lot more cash for a bike that would do less mpg, is a lot heavier, higher insurance premium, higher maintenance costs. No i think ill stick with th Wee.
Byronw and om28 like this.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
All valid points. I really like my Wee. After some long rides I do wish for a bit more weight on the super slab and more passing power on 2 lanes highways. Other than that it's great.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

SHORT test ride on an S10, it's a better bike than the new DL 650 - BUT

Heavy, moving it's fine, I'd hate to pick the bitch up though. I ride off road, quite often solo, not a win that.

Looking at my riding, I don't need more power, less weight - oh yes, I could live with less weight.

The S10 WAS my #1 choice despite the high price, then the 2012 DL 650 came out ....

DL 1000 or S10, I get the S10, but the new DL 650 is about perfect for me, everything just works, and I can pick one up ... just.

Pete
post #6 of 13 Old 08-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had sealed the deal on a super tenere, but then Yamaha centrally in this country told the dealer that they wouldn't do the paper work (I can import without VAT).

Two weeks after it fell through I rented a Wee in Scotland, and I actually had more fun on it. Since I like displacement and power that some people surely think is unneccesary, I bought myself a Vee. Not only did I get to stay true to my beloved Suzuki brand, I got a bike that was more fun and a BIG budget for upgrades where I thought it was needed. And chain drive - I don't want shafts. Getting brakes and suspension done soon, then it'll be all the bike I want.

Ok, if for nothing else than to keep track of it myself:

Givi crash bars; SWMotech centre stand; LeoVince Evo II slip-ons; Rich's fork brace, farkle dash, mirror extenders, gps dash, and wheel spacers, and (soon to be fitted) footpeg lowering; narcosis junkie's skid plate, highway pegs and (soon to be mounted) raising links.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm thinking of (eventually) replacing my ST1300 with a Super T or similar. I like the agility of the adventure touring bikes. I think the Super T competes with the big GS (which I've rented) the Triumph 1200, the Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, the new VF1200 adventure Honda etc. Bigger, heavier, more touring and less off-road capabilities.

I saw a Super T, stripped of its body work, at a motorcycle show a couple of years ago. I was very impressed with the fit and finish of what I saw. I also got a demo of the on-board diagnostics, which allow you to test virtually any system functions that are computer monitored, right down to test firing individual spark plugs, without needing an external computer. Very friendly for DIY folks and for problem resolution en route.

2013 Tiger Explorer 1200
2009 DL650 ABS
2004 Honda ST1300
post #8 of 13 Old 04-09-2019, 01:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'd like to bring this thread back to life;

I owned a '05 DL650 as my only motorcycle from 2009 - 2017, using it for everything: errands, commuting, day-trips, and some multi-day adventures, even 2-up loaded with camping gear.

In 2016, I rented a '14 DL1000 touring New Zealand for about 7-days, 2-up with gear.

In 2017, I rented a '17 DL650 touring Slovenia for 12-days, 2-up

In 2017, I sold the '05 DL650 and bought an used '13 Super Tenere that came equipped with some nice aftermarket stuff making it very practical for what I use it for.

For starters, I'll say the Tenere is an all-around better bike performance-wise, citing a few things that set it apart: Shaft drive, Inverted forks, Two drive modes (Sport/Touring), Excellent brakes (very smooth ABS function), (electronic suspension and cruise control available). The higher weight is actually nice for long highway cruises.

The latest generation DL1000 model is a very competent machine as well, and I'm starting to find I liked the Suzuki's V-twin motor characteristics slightly better than the Yamaha's parallel twin (you may have to ride each to understand what I'm talking about). Don't get me wrong, the Tenere pulls great, and is incredibly smooth for being a parallel twin, but the Chip-Controlled-Throttle makes it feel like I'm riding a computer (connected to a throttle body). Both Suzuki's rev-up more quickly.

I've been pondering going back to a newer model ('17+) DL650, but then quickly realize I already have a higher-performance machine (the Tenere) in the garage, and the slight savings in fuel mileage and weight is probably not worth what I'll lose. I'm basically just back to the idea that something "new" is going to make me happy, and that I'm "missing out" on what another bike could potentially offer.

I've been mulling over some lighter weight models for urban use (Honda CB500x or NC750x) but quickly realize the DL650 is a competent, balanced package of performance, cost, and reliability. I'd like to think I'll be back on one when I'm done with the Yamaha.

=====
'04 Suz. DL650 Wee
=====
Ex's (in order):
'88 CBR, '92 FZR600, '86 GSXR750, '91 EX500, '87 VFR700F2, '94 CBR600F2, '01 YZF600R (Black), '92 CB750, '95 VFR750, '03 YZF600R (Silver)

Last edited by klimber; 04-09-2019 at 01:55 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-09-2019, 03:31 AM
$tromtrooper

If you fit the Vstroms ( ie long enough legs ) they are super bikes. Range, reliability, farkles and enough power.

I went with the CB500x for lower weight, lower seat, better gas mileage and I'd never owned a new bike in 50 years of riding.

I strongly suggest you test ride the 750x long before you consider it. I do not like that low revving, hard rev limiter motor. The CB500x is a treat for solo anything.

Long touring I think there is an edge for the Vstrom due to luggage choices and weight capacity. Another 2" on my inseam and I'd likely still have one. Both by 2010s served me well.
The 2019 CB500x has moved a bit more off pavement with 19" front wheel, better shocks, clearance and wider handlebar.

At their price point they may end up owning the middle for adventure. 430 lb for the CB500, 490 on the strom and the weight is up higher.

The range is the same for both bikes but smaller fuel tank on the Honda with insane real mileage helps the weight issue. I'm always astonished with the Honda at the low fuel up costs after my gas guzzling CBF1000.

50 for the Vstrom .
Suzuki DL650 V-Strom MPG - Actual MPG from 412 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom owners

..always 60+ on the CB500x.
Honda CB500X MPG - Actual MPG from 143 Honda CB500X owners
Any two up tho the nod is the Vstrom.

Unexpected treat on the CB500x .....stability at 80+ mph on the slab. It is planted for a light bike.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR65093 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87
post #10 of 13 Old 04-09-2019, 06:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've owned both a 2012 DL 650 and a 2014 Super Tenere. I'm glad I made the trade to the Yamaha, and haven't regretted it, even though the Suzuki was a fine bike for what it was.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode