Wee vs Super Tenere - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 Old 04-09-2019, 07:42 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

My name is on the title of both a 2014 Super Tenere and a 2012 DL 650. I have owned first generation DL 650 and DL 1000 also.

Like Big B said there is no comparison.

The DL 650 is a great bike for the cost. It is also much lighter than the ST. But even with the weight the Super Tenere handles pavement of any sort MUCH better than the DL 650. It also comes from the factory with actual brakes. Off pavement is the biggest surprise. Even heavier the Super Tenere is far superior to the DL 650 in handling rutted dirt roads, rougher terrain.

What is wrong with the Super Tenere? Because it sure seems to be a red-headed stepchild to many. It is too heavy for what it is. It takes premium fuel in an engine that really does not make enough power for its size to require premium. It seems like it doesn't have all that much power. Yet the truth is that the bike is MUCH faster than it feels. Just the way the engine delivers power and the way it sounds. Which I like, but most will tell you it sounds like a tractor!

Previous to the 2014 models the Super Tenere had some rather prominent faults. Those can be fixed, but the 2014 and newer bikes are far better in being sorted of those issues.

Shaft drive and factory cruise control are worth considerable amounts to me. Making the Super Tenere the superior touring machine out of the box by far. Commuting to work? The DL 650 is hard to beat. And it will do most everything the Super Tenere will. But without the suspension, brakes, and power it simply cannot be compared to the Super Tenere.
Big B likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 04-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Garage
Should Yamaha bring the girth down on the Super 10 eventually "not holding my breath", I would very much like to have one.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #13 of 13 Old 04-09-2019, 12:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Like I said in a previous thread, I think the fact that the S10 falls into a black hole as far as ADV bikes go was because it was priced for a market that probably wasn't there.

It was marketed as an alternative to a BMW's GS. I couldn't find an MSRP for a 2010 Super Ten, the year they were introduced, but the price of a 2012 was listed as $13,900. A 2012 BMW R1200GS was listed at $16,150. A $2250 difference isn't to be sneezed at, but when you break it down into a monthly bike payment, over a 48 month loan with a 3.95 percent interest rate and no down payment or trade in, there's a $50.00 difference in the monthly payment. Once you start comparing the difference in OEM components, though (things like suspension, brakes, etc), it begins to seem like you're getting a lot of value for that extra $50.00. Assuming you aren't getting a deep discount from a Yamaha dealer, it becomes kind of a tough sell for Yamaha at that price range to convince a buyer they shouldn't be going German. Yamaha is kind of stuck in a nether region: to be a real BMW killer, is either has to be cheaper but maintain the same level of quality the S10 already has, or else be more expensive and offer the sort of technical sophistication that would cause a potential BMW buyer to consider the alternative. That's a tough path to walk in a market that's been dominated by BMW since what, the late 1990's? If there was such a thing as a "BMW Killer", I'm inclined to think its design would more resemble a KTM 1290 Super Adventure; it offers beastly HP that surpassed the BMW, and KTM has the off-road credibility that attracts that segment of the ADV market.

There's really no comparison between a DL650 and a Super Tenere, and that doesn't detract at all from the excellence of the 650 as a motorcycle. I would gladly have kept the Suzuki if I'd had room for it. But I've ridden both on multi-day cross country tours, and I'd never go back to the Suzuki for that. It just doesn't suit me as well as the Yamaha, and the difference in component quality is distinct. I chose a Super Ten based on the fact that is was in my "paid in full" price range (especially with the discount I got from buying it out of state), the nationwide dealer presence, the bike's reputation for reliability, and it's potential as a trouble free touring platform. I have pretty much zero interest in its off road ability; talking about the off road capabilities of 600 pound plus bikes is like talking about who's the skinniest person on a "My 600 Pound Life" reunion show. Strip away all the "Adventure Bike" marketing BS, and it's a modern day UJM, and that's what I was looking for. Its girth doesn't bother me a bit; in fact, I love the way it looks from the front with the panniers and crash bar bags on it. Every time I look at it in the garage, it seems like it's yelling "just stop gawking at me, let's go to Utah!".

"No matter where you go, there you are."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode