StromTrooper banner

High beams out

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  m.rtw 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 Wee non abs with 73,000 miles. My high beams failed on the way home last night. I noticed something odd about the behavior of the hi beams when switching them on: they'd delay a split second before turning on after I flicked the switch to the on position. After a couple more cycles on and off to accomodate oncoming traffic (in which this odd delay did not occur) they delayed once again, then the next switching attempt failed completely. No amount of flicking the switch on and off could coax them to turn on.

Low beams work fine.

This kind of progressive failure has me stumped. Where should I start the diagnosis? Fuses? Switches? Connectors? All the above?

I have the Eastern Beaver relay kit installed, it has functioned flawlessly since day 1. I have had the starter switch replaced, and it hasn't given me any trouble since. I recently replaced one of the headlight bulbs, and double checked the bulb and relay connections to make sure they are good and tight. Bulbs are stock, all electricals on bike (cept the EB relay and my Givi tailcase light) are completely stock. The battery is OEM original (never been replaced).

I did a brief search on this forum and couldn't find anyone having trouble with high beams ONLY on BOTH their bulbs at the same time. Doesn't make sense they'd both be burned out at once, especialy considering at least one of the bulbs is less than 3 mos old.

Weirdness! Help! (and thanks in advance!)

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a fuse for high beams only. They also have their own relay. If the fuse is okay, you can swap relays to see if the problem changes to the low beam and you'll know the problem is the relay. They plug into sockets so are removable. It sounds like you were having trouble before you got the relays so you may have a contact or connection problem. Does the flash to pass switch work, if it does, the hi/lo beam switch is probably bad. If it doesn't work and the relay and fuse are okay, check the yellow wire in the large connector in the fairing and any yellow wires in connectors on the radiator top shield.

#5 ·
Not sure if helpful, but I had same problem a while back. After taking everything apart and looking at all wiring, connections, etc, I found a nicked wire near high beam connector that was shorting out that fuse from time to time. I have HID lights with relay installed so old high beam connector wasn't being used and was hanging loose so must have eventually rubbed through. I just taped up wire and zip-tied the connector to secure it to frame. Problem solved. Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.