StromTrooper banner

Who has a DL650 still running with over 200,000km/125,000miles

42K views 53 replies 32 participants last post by  HokiesRWee 
#1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone own a DL650 with over 200,000km/125,000miles and you are still using it as your regular ride?

If so what were your major breakdowns/replacements over the years and recommended parts to keep an eye on at high mileages?

I am curious how long it can last with proper maintenance..

My riding style/type is long haul cruising with pillion, usually riding in moutain areas, plus daily average condition dirt roads.

#4 ·
At what interval did the Suzuki tech feel would be a safe and prudant time to check?

One of my best pals for 30+ years is the service manager at a Zuki/Kaw dealer and he told me not to bring the 08+ KLRs in for a valve check until 20-25K miles. He says that of the ones that even read the manual and care to bring the bikes back in (He says that most will never return for service or check valves unless a bike stops moving) out of every 10 they pull open to measure... about 1 of the 10 really needs bumped back up to the big side at about 15K miles. And he went on to say that typically that one of ten bike was still GTG but was just approching the low side of the range.

So like your mechanic, my buddy says that it is a waste of time at the super conservative recomended intervals and he says on a KLR to just monitor for anything odd like a hard start issue or anything out of the ordinary and then react to that.

He told me that a fellow that rides both a Strom he knows is over 60K miles and refuses to pay for a valve check.

Roll of the dice?.... I'm sure to some extent.

#5 ·
I took my SV650 out of service at 135,006

very reliable, started even well below freezing the moment I thumbed the starter (a lot more reliable than the primitive FI in V-stroms) got better fuel economy than when it was new, 100% dealer maintained following recommended schedule

started using oil regularly at about 130k, (from top line of sight glass to bottom line every tank of gas, smoked noticably on cold starts, accels to redline and on decels from near redline but otherwise not noticable)

had a problem with the compression test, 210 front, 90 rear, repeat test, 205 front, 210 rear, repeat, 210 front, 140 rear

it really did run good, my theory is that at running speeds, the valve sealed tight, at compression test cranking speeds it didn't

every single valve guide was worn beyond tolerance, one exaust in the rear was so worn, you could move it noticable with yer hand, pistons & cylinders were ok, good rings, tight bearings, cam chains were also stretched beyond tolerance and oil pump was weak

cost to rebuilt or even buy used + take care of original suspension was more than bike was worth, this was December 06, dealer offered me deal I couldn't refuse, 07 VEE for $7500 otd

The Sv is now a project parked semi permenently on my bike lift engine out and parts in crates waiting to be turned into a bobtail motard, I'm thinking of rebuilding the engine 1mm over, tune to improve low & mid, new fork,

#6 ·
"cost to rebuilt or even buy used + take care of original suspension was more than bike was worth"

Almost makes me start thinking it's a throw-away bike. Ride the heck out of it for 100,000+ miles, then sell it for whatever I can get and call it good.

At my usual 5,000 - 8,000 miles per year, that's going to take quite a while anyway. Interesting.

#7 ·
I just turned 91,000 miles on my 2007 DL-650. Standard Suzuki 10w-40 oil, and I do my own valve checks when I feel like doing something to my bike.

No problems.

B.L.

Reactions: madstrom
#8 ·
Thanks for all replies,
The wera688 write up of his maintenance history was exactly what I was trying to find, even though its a 1000cc. I did try searching this topic for the 650cc but I couldnt find much, If anyone has a high milage well running 650 similar info would be appeciated.
Interesting that his 3 valve clearance checks within 100k miles were all in spec.
Perhaps I should have titled this thread "Whats the longest milage your strom has lasted and still runs well"
Normally I would consider a 650cc bike retired or spare parts at about 100,000miles/150,000km but this doesnt seem to be the case with the strom !
Personally I change oil and filters more regularly than the recommended intervals because my bike is usually loaded with a pillion or luggage, its maintenance I like to do even if considered unnessesary by some riders (not trying to start an oil thread)
Its good to see from these replies the SV / Strom motor will to live up to its bulletproof reputation, as well as the rest of the bike.
Hope to join the 100k club one day

#10 ·
Larry, I have 20k on the bike, it was in the middle specs, and two separate mechanics told me to come back at around 60k.

I don't pretend to be a mechanic, and I am not weighing in one side or the other, and I am sure this has been beat to death in these forums. However, I am not doing it again until then.

#11 ·
Based on my experience with a painless engine swap, I don't think the wee. Needs to ne thrown away when the motor goes. I did a swap for a low mileage. Motor in one evening. Cost me about 480 with shipping for a 11000 mile ebay motor

#26 ·
BTW my 2006 DL650 ended up crossing 200,000 km around Nov 20,2011. I retired it in March of 2012 when I got my 2012 DL650. It sat in my hanger for several years until a technician at my work got it. He played around with it and got it running but hasn't had the time to licence it.

(I'm currently about 3,600 km from hitting 160,000 km on my 2015 DL1000. We'll see if weather here lets me hit it before 2018 ends.)

..Tom

#13 · (Edited)
I'm over 162,000 km (or about 100,700 miles)

I had to lube the speedo drive around 80,000 km (iirc), the clutch actuator mechanism was replace around 100,000 km, and I had a clogged fuel filter that I took care of at 145,000 km. (I did the bypass operation and installed an external filet. This can only be done on 2006 or earlier DL650's or on any year DL1000 before V2.)

I also replaced all my rear wheel bearings (the two for the axle and the large one that the sprocket drive is attached to.) I don;'t have the mileage for that in front of me but it was likely around 155,000 km.

..Tom

#14 ·
When I had a Vee I checked the valves at 21,000mi and I think I had 5 that were on the tight side. I will probably check my Wee around 20k. I'd rather check it when some will actually need to be shimmed. I'm at 5k now, so hopefully sometime in the fall(fingers crossed I get to ride a lot this summer.

#15 ·
I have 90k miles on my 650. Rides like a new one. Recently put new rear shock, front fork progressive springs and clutch disks. Should be good for another 100k or so.

#16 ·
115,000km

One cam chain tensioner stopped working somewhere along the way, replaced at ~110,00km along with the chain and guides. The other was hardly stretched at all.

Clutch at 112,000km, more because it was as easy to refresh it as it was to pull it and check it. Probably had at least another 20,000k's on it - assuming it started with everything at max. New brake disks at ~114,000 km.

Uses a little oil now, i.e. it's dropped visibly between changes, but not yet enough to be annoying or a problem on long trips.

I suspect I'll just buy a new one rather than being clever with replacing engines. It's more than paid for itself in commute cost savings. (Fun factor, far more than paid for itself ;) ).

Pete

#17 ·
not quite 200000km, but I just ticked over 191000km.
Its a 2007 DL650. I use it to commute (approx. 116km per day) plus the odd couple of days away on a long trip, usually about 1000km`s.
I don`t get the bike serviced, I just use the trip B for check distance between oil changes and change every 5000km (plus filter every second oil change). Also I get parts replaced as and when they are needed. recently has been,
fuel pump at approx. 150000km
clutch saftey switch (not the first one and won`t be the last)
rear wheel bearings at approx. 185000km.
Clutch lever, cable & gear shift @ approx. 120000km
other that that it just usual wear and tear, tyres, chain, sprokets, brakes.

Fuel consumption is at about 4.5l per 100km, not as good a when younger but still good enough.

All in all its been a very reliable bike and I enjoy riding it.

#22 ·
2011 Wee.

Mine is at 65k, and the one valve adjustment I did around 60k showed that I needed to do it... couple valves were on the tight end, and bike was getting hard to start. Did adjustment, back to starting on first or second crank.

In fact, I have had no unexpected maintenance issues -- just routine maintenance, farkling (EB headlight relay, fuse box, etc) and riding. Not even the battery, and it's the original factory battery. This is the most reliable vehicle I've had, and that's including the multiple drops and 1 crash.

#24 ·
Just ticked over 200000km this morning on way to work and the bike feels ace (sctatched both footpegs last week, and one of the pegs I have taken the blob off from the underside). One thing I forgot to say is I`ve never changed the battery. I am thinking of getting a new one but that`s because I am getting paranoid it will conk out, not because it actually has.

#29 ·
I'm a couple hundred miles short of 100K miles and have had few problems. Rebuilt rear shock, valve check at 80K and a battery. Really, how many batteries last 15 years?
Oh, a leaky left fork seal. Puked oil all the way home from St Paul Mn.
It's even survived a major crash that destroyed the OEM luggage and a bit of the plastic and headlight bucket frame.. My Aerostich Darien suit and Scorpion helmet died but the bike lives on.
I should probably check the brake pads.

#30 ·
Ok, so the battery finally died at 200170km. Also the Stator went the way of all flesh, so they both were replaced.
I had a set of Anakee 3 tyres on the bike, they have been incredible. I`ve just replaced the rear after 61553km
yes, 61 THOUSAND! The front lasted less time but it still got 39284km.
I`ve never had a tyre to wear so long, its easy double any other, the previous was pilot road 4`s.
I love these tyres!
So needless to say I`ve put the Anakee`s back on

#32 ·
I bought mine at about 66k km for $4,000 CAD with a set of hard luggage on. I thought it was high mileage. This thread is very encouraging. I am loving it. I am thinking I will get my money’s worth. I can even afford to drop it in a trail and fix it for that price!!! Cool!!! [emoji1303]

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk