StromTrooper banner

trade-in time...NT700V

11K views 44 replies 34 participants last post by  ibthegator 
#1 ·
Sorry for the long post but need some advise Stromtroopers...
am suppose to go ride a NT700V today, as in within a few hours but uncertain if I should do the trade as well as spend the money.
Thanks for any input

Had a vstrom650 2009 abs but had a weird rattle/pitch sound I could not stand though did hear it on one other 2009 (I think) 650 but not others. Fast forward to my 2008 vstrom dl1000 (non-abs of course), 17,800 miles; traded a guy straight up his for mine. Present day...have put only 1,000 miles on the bike in a year. Grand thoughts of using it on some grass/dirt/gravel roads riding here/there or even up in GA never happened. Normally drive a car to work, 3 miles each way.

Hopefully no flames but considering trading it in on a left over 2010 honda NT700V with abs. Dealer is offer 4,500 in trade though of course the are not discounting their bike another $500 more like I would like but they are offer it for $10,450 plus my trade-in of $4,500. Thoughts on each bike below

Vstrom good pionts (for me)
1. ease of access to bike for service, I pay the dealer to do that stuff so less cost taking plastic parts off
2. plenty of power and, for the most part, smooth enough for me
3. Louder then I might like but nice exhaust note
Bad points (for me)
1. I must not love it since I don't ride it
2. A bit tall in the saddle for me (30" inseam) but I can hold her up just not flat footed on both legs
3. Chain and side bags that have mounts attached to me; turn on off design 3 point mount.

NT700V
Good points to me
1. I hear it is like a pacific coast, not entirey bad in my book
2. entergated side bags, shaft drive (rode beemers for many years)
3. suppose to be very dependable, though so is the dl1000
4. small fairing and manually adjustable windscreen
5. Might be the best trade-in money I could get for the Vstrom with the economy the way it is now days.

Bad
1. probably like the weestrom in that at the higher speeds it will not be as smooth as the dl1000; once going 65 to 80 (have not ridden it yet though)

My ride has these things on it -
Strom cases
SW Motech locking racks
Stebel horn
Givi crash bars
V-stream windshield
Handlebar rises (I like these a lot)
Continetal Trail Attack tires (as if I would know what those are by looking)
Gold Chain
New brakes front and rear
Runs Amsoil since new
Above info is from first owner

See less See more
#3 ·
yes the dl1000 has many nice traits but it is a bit louder then I'm used to coming from beemers, st1100, etc. Once riding down the road it is fine, be it a bit taller then I would like. Just getting old I guess (almost 54)...
the idea of a simple motorcycle to go here and there about town that has side bags not too large, wind protection, smooth ride and quite motor all seem good at this point in my life.

Will go give it a ride now, should be on it in about 90 minutes

#7 ·
I don't understand bad point #3.

Only you can say if it's worth it to you.

You say you must not love the Vee because you don't ride it. Did you ride the Wee more? Or have you had previous bikes you rode more? Are you sure it's not that you're just not that into riding? Spending many many thousands of dollars just to repeat the same mistake seems a bit silly, so I hope you're sure you'd ride the 'right' bike.

If you WOULD ride the right bike, then if the N700 speaks to you, do it!

But to me, $10k sounds like a lot of money to spend on something you're not sure about.

#8 ·
The NT has not sold very well, so you could probably get a good deal. I've looked at several and would probably have bought the NT if I didn't have the wee. Like the shaft drive and overall honda fit and finish; i'm a big Honda fan.

#9 ·
I would go for it if I were you, but I would try to negotiate a better deal on the Honda. The non-ABS ones are selling in the real world (i.e. not asking price, but actual selling price) for around $8000. I would try really hard to get the guy to come down to $9500 for the ABS model.

As for the DL1000, why trade it in? Why not sell it here and get a bit more?

#10 ·
The NT700V does seem like a "Pacific Coast Version 2.0". I almost bought one of the originals when it came out, but the windshield routed the air right into my face in a test ride. The NT looks really appealing to me, but just wondering if it will have enough power for its weight. Otherwise seems nice. Man I miss shaft drive...

#11 ·
NT700

Went thru the same drill you are in now over the NT. My 04 ST 1300 that had servered me well for 127,000 had suddenly gotten too heavy for these old 74 year old legs so had thought the NV would be a great next ride. Had access to ride one and came back underwhelmed. The performance level was way short of what I had anticipated; seeming about like my 90 600 Transalp. It handled well, the suspension was acceptible, was quiet, and had resonable wind protection. Rode it about 25 miles then got back on the ST and thought "No way"; there was no fun factor with the 700. The bike would make an excellent "tool" to ride as a form of transportation.
Had been following the fever of the Wee crowd here and had considered it as a possible for the ST repacement. Had a chance to pick up a well equipped 06 for a great price so got it with the knowedge that I could move it if it didn't foot the bill.
Have put about 2200 miles on the wee in the last month and am happy to have gave it a try. It is about 90 lighter, is a hoot to ride, gets 50-55 mpg, easy to work on,and appears to be as dependable as the Honda. It's much noiser, suspension is not as good, is taller, and in the general moto crowd it's a Suzuki. But.........I have had many bikes over the years and one of the main criteria is that it must make me feel like" dam this is a fun bike to ride"
The NV failed badly in that department. Let us know what you decide.

#13 · (Edited)
Good information in the replies, thanks all.

In answer to bad point #3 on the dl1000...
I like the tone of the dual exhaust just not how lound it is lol.

Ended up doing the right/wrong thing, went to the bank and paid 3 grand towards the pricinple on my mortgage...its is at a high rate and I owe more then the house is worth. Felt good afterwards then bad later in the day since I did not buy the new bike but would have had to finance $3,500 once all was said and done.

Had a darn zero interest check for 12 months too boot I could have used. Don't know, old age, maybe getting smarter on how I spend what little spare money I have...sometimes one is just not sure on such things.

I do like riding still, just a low sound shaft drive sort of guy I guess, oppose twin bmws from the old /5 days. As with all bikes we would like to tweak them a bit, for me the dl1000 would be great if it was not chain, engine and exhaust not so loud and not so tall. Though the dl1000 is what it is and does what it does well. Enjoy the extra highway power over the v650 of course...if only that vstrom 650 i had did not have a 'nails in a coffe can' sound issue that dealers said was normal, i might have kept it...lighter then the dl1000, not as loud and was not as tall. Loved that orange color in 2009 but got the abs silver at that time.

Hum, did not think to try to sell the dl1000 on the forum but could give it a try. If indeed it could bring more then 4,500 it might be worth it though trading it in would lower the tax on a nt700. Just need someone in Florida looking for what I got right :)
Ride safe all

#16 ·
You did the right thing. Don't go in debt on a motorcycle. Ride the one you have that is paid off. If you are swimming in cash, get the bike you want but it doesn't sound like you ride that much anyway. Plus, the Deuville sounds like a sensible bike for a commuter, but not a "I love it so much I just have to get it" bike. Sounds like a bicycle would be better for you. Then you can ride to work every day in the FL sunshine and get in shape in the process.

#14 · (Edited)
Smart Money

Here is my advice, which might be worth what you paid for it. Seems to me that you want a bike on hand for those rare moments when you have the time and desire to ride. If that is the case, I would not buy a new, or even a late model, rapidly depreciating bike, especially if I could otherwise offset high interest debt (good job on paying the $3k against your mortgage principal). Here is a thought. Since you are considering the NT700, take a look also at a much earlier but similar '81-'82 GL500I (Silver Wing Interstate). You get a large fairing, integrated luggage, shaft drive, quiet ride, interesting engine layout, ease of maintenance, and somewhat of a semi-classic. But they are slow by modern comparison, and underpowered for two-up riding. Good running examples are commonly posted for $1,500 from what I've seen, and I am actually considering one myself. You could also consider the rarer '83-'84 GL650I, which is faster, but I gather that parts are relatively more scarce. Personally I would rather my money perform than my toys. Good luck.

#15 · (Edited)
Interesting thought on old gl650 silvering. A guy gave me a old Bet up one of these then it fall sideways onto my car in the one car garage, sold it to someone to use as spare parts. Thinking though that vintage is too old a model to consider.

I do have an old shake, rattle and roll hd Electra gide 93 up at my brothers place two hours north of me. Only down side on that ride is the fish tail pipes that came on it...louder then I would pick. It would be a tight fit but might be able to put it in my garage with my Prius for awhile. With the old bat wing fairing I enjoy the ride though brakes and suspension are not tops. Had a 2007 road king with the new engine and it wanted to bake me to death due to heat coming off that rear jug/exhaust cross over...it was also sold.

Don't know, seems like a light weight ride for the city and a true touring ride is best combo. Another 8 years of work before I can retire and do rallies out od state anytime wanted so seems a waste to spend big money on a touring bike right now. Heck I would take the hd out of state but too hot to do that in the summer time on vacation to me.

Had a 2005? Gl1800 smooth as butter, extra gear or electric windshield would have been nice though. Still it was too much like a Honda accord to me but know others swear by them for city and touring. Had a burgman exec 650 but suspension was a bit hard to me.

Wonder what a late model gold wing gl1500? Would be as a new ride one day. Maybe a bit less Honda accord feel then the gl1800 yet funner ??? around town then a gl1800?

Will work on posting a ad on the site to sell the vstrom dl1000 and see what happens.

#17 ·
A 1500 goldwing would be a step in the wrong direction from the 1800, in terms of heft and handling. If you are not afraid of a little age, the '86-'87 1200 goldwing would be a better slightly 'livelier' choice. Lots of '86's, not many '87's; stay away from '84-'85's due to potential stator issues if not looked after.

How about a shaft drive Shadow or Magna?

#20 ·
My poor Honda Pacific Coast has 160,000+ miles on it. I have put all but 25,000 of those miles on it myself. I really needed a different bike to make my main ride. I kept the Pacific Coast as i am really attached to it, besides it's the 15th one made - a collector). I was just getting ready to pull the trigger and buy a NT700V when my son called me about his bike. A 2007 Wee with only 5,005 miles on it. I ended up buying his bike. I have put a bunch of farkles on it, but knowing me, I would have done the same on the NT700V as well.

I don't feel that out of the box, the Vstrom (the Wee) rides the pavement as nicely as the NT700V or my Pacific Coast (I have put Hagon shocks on the back of the PC and Progressive springs in the front, so that adds a bias as the PC rides like it is on rails now). Do I regret not buying the NT700V instead of helping my son sell the Wee? Nope, not at all. The Wee is a hoot to ride, both on pavement as well as on dirt/gravel roads. All I had to do to it to settle it down and make it really rideable was to put a fork brace on it.

You say that you have a 30 inch inseam and find the bike "a little" tall. I too have a 30 inch inseam (actually 31 inches but men's pants come in 30 and 32 for inseam and I wear 30's). I found the bike a little too tall as well when I bought it. I quickly got used to it after 1,000 miles in the first month I owned it. Now it feels just right.

All that plastic on the NT is something you need to think about. I know that dealer's routinely screw the plastic up on the Pacific Coast, breaking tabs and not fitting panels correctly. I remove and replace all plastic myself on the PC now, but I also do almost all the work on it myself too - don't trust others with my bikes. When I do the work, I know it is done right.

Which bike do you need? Only you can answer that. With the NT700V you would get a bike that has shown that it is pretty much bullet proof (lots of couriers in Europe ride them and they want reliable bikes). With the Strom, you also get a bike that it pretty much bullet proof (see this forum). The NT has better weather protection, the Strom better performance. It all comes down to that personal factor - which do you feel the best on...

#21 ·
Another option is a big scooter. The wife had a Burgman 400 for a while and it was a lot of fun to ride. A 650 Burgman or Honda Silver Wing (600cc scooter) would meet all your requirements as far as I can tell.
While I agree in principle with mountainmeterman's post, if you don't ride regularly a bike with carbs can be a PITA. Fuel injection is a big plus.

#22 ·
Another option is a big scooter. The wife had a Burgman 400 for a while and it was a lot of fun to ride. A 650 Burgman or Honda Silver Wing (600cc scooter) would meet all your requirements as far as I can tell.
I sort of go along with the general tenor here. I found the NT700 smooth but slow and unresponsive as far as handling etc. It was also a bit heavier than 'Stroms, but seemed in typical Honda fashion to be well made and assembled.

I have ridden Burgman 650 scooter for maybe 50 miles through some twisties. In all fairness, I was flabbergasted at how well the big Burgman handled, it's acceleration appeared to me to be much better than the NT and it has excellent built in storage, and was surprisingly comfortable and nimble. If it came between the NT700 or a Burgman I am surprised to admit I would get the Burgman. I have never ridden a Silverwing. But the people I know that have (only 3) have said how much they liked it and the decision for them came down to Suzuki Burgman 650 or Honda Silverwing. They obviously went Honda. I know 4 that went Suzuki.

I suspect in the long run you would be just as happy with one of 2 scooters here. The NT reallly is rather dull and pedestrian as far as a ride in concerned. In my opinion anyway. And it does weigh a lot.

#23 · (Edited)
Burgman 650, though I loved the under seat storage and electric windshield on the exec, is simply a no go for me due to suspension limitations in my view. It was though a nice ride power wise i felt for sure. Liked at a guys dn-01 but would not pay more then $7400 for one due to price drop by dealers unloading them now days. It would need replacement screen and bags added of course.

If nt700 has less power then the burgman 650 then that would be too bad. Will stay with what I have at the moment though will post the vstrom on the site just to see if any takers.

#25 ·
Just this Winter I was looking for a Sport Tourer to add. I sat on quite a few. The NT was too underpowered for me. They are selling for close to $8k around here... if they're selling that is. I would have loved loved loved an ST 1300, I love a V4..... but $$$. Thought about the new Ninja 1000 but they weren't dealing, ergos were perfect. Thought I was gonna get a Conny..... but I ran into a great deal on an 08 VFR with 1200 miles on it and I've always wanted one. So glad I went that route. If you're not gonna ride it much or crazy long days, I'd say get something sportier like a Ninja or a nice used FZR 1000 maybe.... throw some bags on it an go. You'll be glad you did and there wont be any complaints about power.... for sure.

#27 ·
do you have stock exhaust on your 1000? if not, the stock will probably be a lot quieter than whatever you have. As far as your other negetives, well, you could make the luggage a permanent fixture, all it would take is a little welding. But let me ask you this.. are you considering the joys of being able to take your bags off on a whim and sprint around with-out them?

I guess i am just not seeing the problem clearly.. what about the NT makes you feel that you will ride the wheels off of it vs the 1000? most of your plusses for the nt boil down to modifications you could easily make to the vstom. manual windshield adjustment? check. Shorter screen? check. so it boils down to luggage you can't remove and being a shaft. is shaft drive a make or break feature?

i am not sure that a new bike will fix the perceived problem.. but rather your mind set and riding habits. the more you ride, the more you will come to enjoy riding. i've had several friends that had "new-bike-itis" and i can tell you, no matter what they picked up, it never changed their overall riding habits. I have a friend that started on a yamaha tripple, went to a klr, then a goldwing, then an r6, now he's got a sportster. didn't put more than 4 or 5 thousand on any one bike, and only owned them for a couple years. i haven't seen him get the sportster out yet this year, i expect he will ride it in july for a bit and that is about it, given his past. Imho, the bike to be ridden isn't the problem in his view. I don't know why he doesn't find himself wanting or trying to ride, but it's not a machine issue. I'm not trying to come off as a dick, i just hope that you will look at the problem clinically, rather than emotionally. I'd hate to see you pick up a NT, or whatever else you might like and still end up only riding it a little.. only now you are making payments, vs a bike that you ride little, but doesn't cost you anything save for maintenance.

#28 ·
Have you considered a BMW F800S? Very capable sport-tourer with belt drive and decent power. Bags extra. I think you might be able to live with this bike. And a second on the VFR 800 as well, though it has a chain.

But all the replies about buying used are good advice. Just me, but if I bought a new NT700, I'd feel like shooting myself afterwards for spending all that cash on it. But I wouldn't buy a used one either, honestly.

#29 ·
I looked at the Honda last year when I was shopping around. It didn't satisfy my prerequisites of extended touring range (my V-Strom 650 gets around 300 miles), luggage capacity (the Honda's integrated bags are uselessly small and that much-lauded pass through has no value for my needs), and price. The VStrom with factory luggage all around (should've gotten the Givi stuff but it works, contents stay dry and colors match) was out the door for $2500 less than the Honda. Dealers weren't negotiating at all on the Honda. 15,000 miles later in my first year of V-Strom ownership and I don't regret the decision at all. Probably would've sold the NT700 by now as it's pretty mundane.

#30 ·
Didn't I mention somewhere before the NT700 is heavier, less powerful and more expensive than the Wee? Getting locked in to bad luggage is just another minus. I would love a good shaft or belt drive for my pavement only travels and a 17" front wheel would be nice too, but the Wee with the modifications I've made is the best middle weight sport tourer I've found. The combination of range, leg room, and available accessories providing a balance of comfort and fun have made chain maintenance worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.