I love my Wee that I have had for several years now, but have always wanted a bit more out of the motor. I have read multiple posts on this site that the wee just doesn't respond to mods because it is so perfect, but being the stubborn ass that I am, I decided to try to improve it anyhow.
Well I don't know where some of this info has come from, because IMHO the wee responds as well or better to some simple changes as any bike I have ever played with.
I tried 3 different items to see what would happen. I ordered a new Delkevic canister for an SV ($150 on ebay) and adapted it, An offset woodruff key ignition advancer from factory ($75), and a set of 35/70 velocity stacks from factory. ($130 on ebay)
We elected to use my buddies 07 wee and my 05 wee to test the differences the mods made. As a test, before installing the items on my bike, my buddy and I went out and tried several roll ons in different gears and a few acceleration runs. Our bikes ran nearly identically as they always have. We have ridden thousands of miles together, ridden each others bikes many times, and these bikes were two peas in a pod performance wise in spite of the small differences between the years of motor.
The first thing I did was install the ignition advancer and the pipe. It felt stronger to me immediately, the down low chudder was nearly gone. Very smooth right off the bottom. The acceleration runs were even more telling. I could consistently put 3 or 4 bike lengths on him in a run through the gears. Roll ons were initially very close until the bikes began to build RPM, then at about 6K or so my bike would storm away from his. There was little doubt in my mind that both of these things had worked quite well.
Next we installed the pipe on his bike. Lo and behold they ran closer. So we installed the ignition advancer on his bike. Guess what, nearly identical performance between them was restored, demonstrating that no fluke had occured here.
The next thing to try was the Factory billet velocity stacks. This was really interesting and demonstrated the difficulty of measuring performance changes by "seat of your pants". I rode the bike around a little, rode it over to my buddies house, and told him that I thought I had lost power with the stacks. It felt to me like it was softer down low. But my but-o-meter was about to be proven a liar.
After installing the stacks, and with no other changes, we went out and re ran the bikes off. My bike consistently leaps in front of his from roll ons now, putting several bike lengths on him before the first shift point, it is not even close. On wide open acceleration runs from low gear I end up so far ahead of him I can see him behind me in my mirror. Both of us were aghast at the difference they made, it was much more than I ever expected to get. It didnt matter how many times we repeated the test, we kept getting the same result. Not only that but my bike will now power wheelie in low gear, with no additional help from me. I couldn't even get close to doing that before.
My tests seem to buck the conventional belief that there isnt much to be had by modding the wee. I just took the bike to NC last weekend and the difference in smoothness and torque is obvious, especially when rolling it on coming out of a turn. Not only that but the beautiful deep (but not loud) rumble coming out of the Delkevic was worth the price of admission itself. It has to be the best buy on a canister in the universe right now. I am very happy for the total I spent of about $350 and a little time invested.