Just in Time! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-28-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Just in Time!

I just picked up this Cycleshell motorcycle enclosure, as I don't have garage space for my 2005 Wee. I'll let everyone know how it holds up this winter. First impression is very good. Two days after buying this (used) we received about 18" of snow. This morning it is 2 degrees out. Ouch. Here's a pic below.
Happy Thanksgiving!
JP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cycleshell.jpg (446.3 KB, 31 views)
TAC PRO, Macdoc, eagleeye and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-28-2019, 03:22 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

A friend had a couple of those things in his yard to store MC parts. The BMW dealer in Pomona had a couple units so people that couldn't get to the shop during open hours could lock up their bikes after hours.
Don't know if they still do dat or not. I'm not sure if the ones I had seen were fabric or metal or fiberglass. They were folding units like the one pictured though.
JPTahoe likes this.

Last edited by notacop; 11-30-2019 at 11:36 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-28-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

This unit has a plastic base and the fabric cover seams to have a rubberized nylon, somewhat like raft’s material. The top accordions over the bike. There’s is a Vertical zipper at one end which makes it possible to pull over the bike. There is a Velcro closure around the bottom that attaches the cover to the base. When I get a warm day I’ll photograph it.
I plan on starting the bike up on warm sunny days to keep it charged and healthy. If we get some dry weather, I hope to ride.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-28-2019, 11:19 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

If you could run an extension cord over into it you could have a battery tender and a 40w incandescent light under the engine. the incandescent light would prevent moisture condensation.

Snug as a bug in a rug. I like it.

Cheers

RLBranson
Cryoman and JPTahoe like this.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-29-2019, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Great thoughts! I’ll have to get a trickle charger. I’m sure everyone has opinions on which is best? And how often would you keep the charger connected for?
post #6 of 15 Old 11-29-2019, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
You can keep a trickle charger permanently connected. On "warming the oil" many here believe that does more harm than good. If started you need to ride the bike and give it a good open roads run, otherwise don't bother.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #7 of 15 Old 11-30-2019, 08:40 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
You can keep a trickle charger permanently connected. On "warming the oil" many here believe that does more harm than good. If started you need to ride the bike and give it a good open roads run, otherwise don't bother.

Agreed. If you aren't going to ride it for maybe 30 miles or so to boil all the condensation out of the engine and exhaust system, then just let it stay frozen. Moisture in the exhaust produces nitric acid unless you get it hot enough for long enough to evaporate it out. Machines aren't like living creatures, they don't mind being frozen, but they DO mind being frozen/heated/frozen/heated. It's the temperature cycling that causes most of the engine wear.
V-Tom, Brockie and JPTahoe like this.

Pirate650
2007 ABS Wee-Strom "The Silver Surfer"
2003 Kawasaki Concours "Mabel, the Flying Kaw"
post #8 of 15 Old 11-30-2019, 10:39 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPTahoe View Post
Great thoughts! Iíll have to get a trickle charger. Iím sure everyone has opinions on which is best? And how often would you keep the charger connected for?
I use a Battery Tender Junior on mine. It is a "float" type charger, that charges the battery fully then shuts off and monitors the battery's voltage. if the voltage drops below a predetermined value, it kicks in again.
It is rated at 12V 750mA, so it charges very slowly. It utilizes an included fused 2-pin SAE connector with ring terminals for the bike's battery and also comes with an alligator clip harness for other types of batteries. Some on this site recommend not leaving a trickle charger turned on indefinitely as this can shorten the battery's life. My BT Jr is on a timed circuit (digitally timed for Xmas lite operation) so it is powered for 8 hrs a day. The pilot light on the BT Jr rarely ever shows that it is charging.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...69784302&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Enerlites-HET...dDbGljaz10cnVl
JPTahoe likes this.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
"I never said half of that stuff."-Confucius
post #9 of 15 Old 11-30-2019, 11:40 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Since an oil warmer was pooh-poohed, I won't suggest you get heat tape like the stuff I put around the well pipes and faucets at a friends desert house against the winter freeze. Keeps the pipes at 40 degrees or so according to the package. It might put off that forlorn sighing a frozen bike can be heard to make.
JPTahoe likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-30-2019, 12:22 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Okay, I will try to explain the "warming"

Moisture wants to migrate to the coldest place around. in the old style refrigerators you had to periodically "defrost" or remove the built up ice. moisture migrated to the coldest place and stayed there.

You don't have to have the engine hot, just a couple degrees warmer than the surrounding air to prevent the moisture from condensing on and in the engine.

Obviously a small amount of moisture in the oil is not immediately catastrophic. It will live with it and survive.

When my Wee is home there is a batt tender plugged in at all times.

I baby my motors

Cheers

RLBranson
JPTahoe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode