Stone Cold Wee Still Off - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rolex
  • 1 Post By BigLar75

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Stone Cold Wee Still Off

Here we go again....still.

OK, after the bad VR and reverse polarity battery, not to mention water in the gas, I finally got my '05 Wee running. Sort of. I did buy some gas treatment to scavenge the rest of the water out of the tank (if any) and added 1 gallons fresh gas to tank, since it was getting low.

Previously, it would start and idle, then pause and die if I gave it gas. Wouildn't rev at all. Now it won't start at idle. Hit starter and it'll kick but won't quite start. I found that if I give it throttle while cranking it'll start instantly and rev fine but it has a crackle at steady speed as if one cylinder is intermittent.

So, I got the laser temperature probe out and, while holding power on with revs up around 4,000, I measured temps of the exhaust pipes. Seems to bear out my thought - front pipe about 4" below cylinder head is at 450 and rear pipe about 6" below cylinder head is around 550 so that would seem to confirm intermittent firing. (????)

While it's running like that, if I rev it, it revs instantly and smoothly. Sounds good. Sit there and keep goosing it and it sounds great up around 4,000 - 7,000 rpm. Hold steady speed and it immediately starts to crackle again.

I ran it like that for about 10 minutes, trying to make sure all water was out of the system, but rear pipe was getting very hot - over 1400 and I was afraid of frying something.

Sure would appreciate some thoughts on this. Google search showed me nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 06:25 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar75 View Post
Here we go again....still.

OK, after the bad VR and reverse polarity battery, not to mention water in the gas, I finally got my '05 Wee running. Sort of. I did buy some gas treatment to scavenge the rest of the water out of the tank (if any) and added 1 gallons fresh gas to tank, since it was getting low.

Previously, it would start and idle, then pause and die if I gave it gas. Wouildn't rev at all. Now it won't start at idle. Hit starter and it'll kick but won't quite start. I found that if I give it throttle while cranking it'll start instantly and rev fine but it has a crackle at steady speed as if one cylinder is intermittent.

So, I got the laser temperature probe out and, while holding power on with revs up around 4,000, I measured temps of the exhaust pipes. Seems to bear out my thought - front pipe about 4" below cylinder head is at 450 and rear pipe about 6" below cylinder head is around 550 so that would seem to confirm intermittent firing. (????)

While it's running like that, if I rev it, it revs instantly and smoothly. Sounds good. Sit there and keep goosing it and it sounds great up around 4,000 - 7,000 rpm. Hold steady speed and it immediately starts to crackle again.

I ran it like that for about 10 minutes, trying to make sure all water was out of the system, but rear pipe was getting very hot - over 1400 and I was afraid of frying something.

Sure would appreciate some thoughts on this. Google search showed me nothing.
Sure sounds like the rear cylinder is quite lean. Triple check the TB boot even taking it out to look for cracks. Boots can sometimes crack in the clamp groove making said crack very hard to see. That could account for the lean running and hard starting. Vacuum leaks can be very troublesome. Cracks in hoses, caps and tees can be hard to find.

Good luck,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does! - Murray Walker

Here - 2002 V-Strom DL1000, 1999 Triumph Trophy 900, 2003 Maxima SE 6-Speed, 1997 Silverado K2500 - 454
Slovakia - 2004 Rover 75 CDT Tourer w/ Tuning Box
Past - 1977 Honda 400/4 Supersport, 1982 Honda CB900 Custom, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre (TWICE), 1996 Kawi GPz1100, 1990 Honda VFR750F
post #3 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 10:54 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

When ever I ran my bike sitting still I'd use a box fan to try to keep things cool. Even with water cooling air flow helps.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 11:56 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Have you done a fuel flow & pressure test ?
Fox likes this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Other commitments today, but before I left I tried to start it to warm it a bit and feel like I'd done something. Nope.....wouldn't start, no matter what I tried. Battery was up and it spun fast but no ignition.

2 days ago, it started fine but wouldn't rev - it'd just die when I tried to get it off idle. Then I went thru all the fuss with the water treatment, etc. and then it wouldn't start, so poured some gas down the intakes. It started right up but wouldn't idle.

This morning it wouldn't start. Wouldn't even kick or sputter. I had the airbox sitting on loosely and the tank sitting loosely and couldn't take time to pull it all off to pour more gas into it, so it just sat all day. Should have time to get after it again tomorrow. I'll start by pulling tank and air box and starting at square 1. Something major changed when I put it back together, so I'll see what I can see.

No, no gas flow or pressure test but when I pumped gas into the jug I hit the ignition cycle 3 times and it put about 2+ inches of gas into a 2 liter Pepsi bottle. Should be plenty of flow.

Last edited by BigLar75; 11-16-2019 at 04:29 AM. Reason: forgot something
post #6 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

OK, back after it and we got news..... I pulled airbox and set it aside, took a look and didn't see anything standing out, so started at square 1 and pulled the injectors. All looked well, so put it all back together and started checking all tubes, connectors, etc.....and finally found the connector to the rear throttle body linkage on the left side hanging loose. I haven't had that off but the lock tab on the connector was broken, so must've banged it along the line somewhere.

Hooked it back up and tied it in place with a ziptie and put the whole thing back together again. Took a deep breath and hit the starter.......boom.....took right off and idled fine. Fooling with it, it idles fine, but when I give it gas it hesitates - kinda just sits there making a sucking sound - then after a second it'll catch its' breath and rev up fine. Keep goosing it and it'll scream.....but when I get off the gas, it'll crackle some in the exhaust as it decelerates. Just one or 2 quick, sharp snaps, but they're there and it didn't do that before.

Give it throttle again and again it goes thru the hesitation, then revs fine. I feel like I'm finally almost to the end of this fiasco, but not sure what to look for now.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 11:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

You know how to check and adjust the TPS setting. They are often off and it will effect how the bike is running.

Don't have the procedure for your model. Post 23 here shows the basics: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a...tle-off-3.html

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #8 of 9 Old 11-18-2019, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
You know how to check and adjust the TPS setting. They are often off and it will effect how the bike is running.

Don't have the procedure for your model. Post 23 here shows the basics: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a...tle-off-3.html
Nope.....don't know how, but guess I'm a-gonna learn. I had an idea that would prob'ly be next. Sighhh......
post #9 of 9 Old 11-18-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
]
This morning it started instantly when I hit the starter and idled fine but a bit high at about 1400-1450, so very gently turned the idle adj. screw counterclockwise till idle was right at 1300. I left it idling to warm up and put a jumper in the plug under the left rear fairing and got the -C00 readout on the dash.

After it was warmed up, it still read -C00 so increased throttle and it was hard to tell exactly where, but seemed like when it was just touching 3,000 rpm the bar would move up to high on the C00 after a few seconds. When it got to showing 3 bars on temp, everything on the dash looked good but still had the hesitation on cracking throttle.

Cussed some, shut it down and walked away for 10 minutes and came back to it. Now it showed 2 bars on temp gauge. Started it, it started instantly and idled right at 1300. Cracked the throttle and it revved. Hmmm.....?? Tried it a couple more times and it was inconsistent. Sometimes rev instantly, sometimes lag, but is much better.

I guess now the thing to do will be to put it all back together and ride it. Clear its' throat some and see how it does. I think/hope I'm done with all this. Anyone want to buy an '05 Wee ?? :-) Thanks again to all who pitched in for me.
baroquenride likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode