looking to buy a V-Strom 2008 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

7Likes
  • 1 Post By vannigo
  • 2 Post By blaustrom
  • 1 Post By slovcan
  • 1 Post By ratbikerandy
  • 1 Post By blaustrom
  • 1 Post By om28

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

looking to buy a V-Strom 2008

Hi everyone,

I am from Malta but living in Spain in Alicante.

I am currently looking for an adventure bike and since this is my first experience with adventure bikes and in a new country I would like to get hold of a second hand V-Strom 650 to get used to the Spanish roads, do some travels with it and then maybe in 2 years time upscale to a bigger adventure bike like a BMW GS 1200 adventure.

I have found a nice looking V-Strom 650 2008 model here in Alicante for sale and am really considering it as my first bike in Spain.

Any things to keep in mind when considering this model and year? These are few pictures of the bike. It has 84,000 km on it and has ABS.

Nice meeting you and look to hear from you.

Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vsrom1.jpg (347.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg vsrom2.jpg (277.9 KB, 11 views)
gwc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 05:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Welcome and good luck!

If you like the price the bike seems to be well equipped from what you can see from the pictures. There are no real model year specific issues with these bikes. Stator problems are probably the most often mentioned.

Ask for service records to know if routine maintenance has been done, including fluid changes (ALL fluids, coolant, brakes, shock and forks) and valve checks. If earlier valve checks were done properly and the valves were in spec there is little tendency to drift out of spec later. The rest is common sense, just inspect the bike very carefully (a good flashlight helps) for abuse or worn parts (brakes, tires, chain/ sprockets). Everything should be tight and straight.

Check if the fuel pump bypass (bypassing the internal filter) has been done. At your mileage that is a possible problem, depending how clean or otherwise the tank is and the fuel was that ran through it. Look inside the tank with a flashlight and see if its clean or not (if the tank is full you probably can't see much).

If you buy the bike and the bike has no V meter get one installed to monitor the charging system. That will alert you if the stator is on its way out before it gets you stranded.
Gert and vannigo like this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 06:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
All good suggestions, but I don't think I have ever seen shock oil changes included in any routine maintenance. You may be getting into the rebuild or replace the shock territory, though, depending on what sort of roads and loads it was subjected to. The voltmeter is also a really good thing for any bike, although I can't say for sure the charging (stator, R/R) troubles affected the Wee as much as the Vee. Maybe someone can clarify.

She looks really nice and well equipped.

Cheers,
Glenn
vannigo likes this.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does! - Murray Walker

Here - 2002 V-Strom DL1000, 1999 Triumph Trophy 900, 2003 Maxima SE 6-Speed, 1997 Silverado K2500 - 454
Slovakia - 2004 Rover 75 CDT Tourer w/ Tuning Box
Past - 1977 Honda 400/4 Supersport, 1982 Honda CB900 Custom, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre (TWICE), 1996 Kawi GPz1100, 1990 Honda VFR750F

post #4 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 06:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Bike does look nice in photo and well equipped. If the price is right and it seems in good condition then you should like it.

It is just over the mileage on my 2008 and I would not hesitate to ride it coast to coast here in the USA.
I don't think that my valves had been checked until recently unless previous owner had it done and they were in spec.

I would recommend the headlight relay offered by Eastern Beaver. Mine had a starting issue that was related to the current going through the starter button.

One other minor thing to check if you purchase, is the rubber cush drive bumpers in the rear hub where the sprocket is. Due to age, mine had dried out and sprocket wasn't as tight. Easy to replace or can be shimmed with inner tube or silicon cutting board pieces.

Good luck with it
vannigo likes this.

What's the worst that can happen?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 12:00 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
.... You may be getting into the rebuild . the shock
Well that's how you change the shock fluid
Its not routine maintenance but most likely necessary maintenance at the given mileage (if the bike still has the original shock).
vannigo likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #6 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
Welcome and good luck!

If you like the price the bike seems to be well equipped from what you can see from the pictures. There are no real model year specific issues with these bikes. Stator problems are probably the most often mentioned.
Dear Blaustrom,

Thanks a lot for the great tips. Could you tell me what are Stator problems? or whats is a Stator?
post #7 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 03:24 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Basically the stator charges the battery, while the motor is running. Any sort of stator failure will cause the battery to discharge after a period of riding and could leave a person stranded. Adding a volt meter, as an accessory, will help confirm the charging system is operational. One can conclude that a stator failure appears to be a weakness on the V-Strom and numerous other motorcycles, https://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom...-weestrom.html. On the plus side, there are many V-Strom owners, who as yet have not had any sort of stator problems. There are numerous posts that one can search for on this site, that discuss stator failure and the adding of a voltage meter.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 07:12 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
As Gert mentioned not every bike will have premature stator failure. Reading the all the posts on the subject will make you think it must plague every bike, but remember, you only read about the failures. I have an '09 with 83K miles with the original stator. My guess, it's only a guess would be 10%-25% of the bikes have this problem. It's not a hard fix, just inconvenient if the bike leaves you stranded. If the bike you're looking at has 84K km, either the stator has already been replaced or the bike just didn't have a stator problem.

The only other issue with these bikes is headlight failure, which eventually happen to most, if not all bikes. Hopefully someone else can give you a more technical/accurate description, but starter & headlight voltage run the through the starter button and eventually burns out the contacts. Adding a headlight relay fixes the problem. A company called Eastern Beaver sells them, easy to install.

Any update on your purchase?
blaustrom likes this.

2009 Wee Strom ABS (current)
1987 Harley FXR Low Rider Sport (current - with 206K miles)
2009 Aprilia Mana 850, 2006 SV650, 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000 (all sold)
Silver Strom Club Member #11

Wee Farkles: Russell Day Long Seat, Madstad with Moose Adventure Shield +4'', SWMotech Centerstand, 1'' up & back bar risers, Givi XS308 Tankbag, Aprilia mirrors, Framesliders, Fenda Extenda, Elka Shock.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-19-2019, 05:14 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Good point! Google head light relay kit and if your bike does not have one istalled plan on adding one.

The issue is that when activating the starter the power to the headlights (2x55W) is being interrupted. That interrupt contact is in the starter switch and over time that contact deteriorates to the point that the lights become dim and eventually dont light up. By just running the relay coil power through that contact you avoid the contact from burning up. Plus your headlights will be noticaby brighter. There are other benefits but this is the short explenation. :-)

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode