StromTrooper banner

Installing Protaper Raptor SE bar on 2008 DL650

6K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Stalky Tracker 
#1 ·
Hey guys after reading countless posts about handlebars I asked my mechanic to install a Protaper Raptor SE bar, from what I read it should go on with no modification to the bar clamps or wiring. I just got this image from my mechanic saying the the bar "raises up" before it can be properly clamped.

Is any of you rocking these? Did we order the wrong bar? This is what I asked him to order "ProTaper SE Handlebar - Raptor ATV Sport Bend - Jet Black 2146D JET BLACK" off amazon, not sure I can link the product here.

Thanks for helping!

See less See more
#3 ·
This is what I installed on my 2007 Wee in 2016, also bought through Amazon.

Brand Protaper
Model Pro Taper Seven Eighths Handlebars - Standard 7/8
Item Weight 2 pounds
Product Dimensions 31 x 4.5 x 3.2 inches
California residents Click here for Proposition 65 warning
Item model number 025293
Manufacturer Part Number 025293

#7 ·
My ATV MID's are about the same height as the OEM bars, but are wider and have less bend inwards therefore tending to be more comfortable with your elbows more outwards, dirt bike style. Had I thought more carefully I would have trimmed a half inch off both sides before installation. You will find that stock width is noticeably wider than OEM bars and still wider when narrowed a little.

#8 ·
I have had the ProTaper Seven Eighths (SE) ATV Highs for a number of years. I think they were about 32" wide, I cut a half inch off each end. Everything fits. I did loosen up some slack in the wiring as some were a tad snug.

#11 · (Edited)
The ProTaper SE ATVs are aluminum (or aluminum alloy) and have a smaller inside diameter. I was able to use the OEM bar ends with some modification.

I used 1/4 inch ID fuel line about 1.75 inches long and 3/16 inch ID fuel line about 0.75 inches long instead of the OEM rubber piece. I also replaced the OEM nut with normal metric nut. I remember I had to do a little bit of experimenting with thichness and length and each side ended up a tad different. I have had no issues with the modification.

There are a couple of threads here, somewhere, on the modification.

#12 ·
I did the same with mine. Measure the I.D. of the bar and visit your local auto supplies store with vernier calipers to find rubber tube that will fit inside the bars while having an I.D. sufficient for your bolt. Use of a washer like below, and scoring the front face of the replacement nut is also a good idea.
I used either brake hose or fuel line.

Attachments

#14 ·
My bike came with the ATV-mid and I recently rode a friend's stock bar setup and really, really like mine over his. The ATV-mid seems more natural, although that could be argued I suppose, as the stock bars aren't bad. Where you'll feel the convenience is when you hit the dirt or gravel and that's where the ATV-mid shines as you have more leverage and perhaps control.

#18 ·
Just to be clear, the Pro-Taper SE ATV Mid have less sweep than stock? I am looking for less pull back (sweep) - basically a straighter bar. Also how much higher is the ATV Mid vs. stock? The thread I found indicated that the height of stock was 3.75" vs. 5.90" for mid and 6.30 for high.

#23 ·
It does seem strange. I downloaded from ProTaper.com and those numbers (except 96mm) are correct. I can only speculate that the varying "rise" somehow affects the effective height.
I can see why the OP had problems with his Raptors though.
It is also a little odd to see that the different heights also have varying sweeps, and that the MID's have the least sweep of all. I guess there is a reason.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.