Cruise control - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-03-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Cruise control

Just wondering what your ideas are on Kaoko Throttle Lock Cruise Control For Suzuki V-Strom 650 '2010 With OEM Handguards
Interested to know if you've had one used one or have one for sale
Many thanks in advance,

the drifter

Tim "the drifter"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-03-2019, 04:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

A throttle lock is not technically cruise control. Throttle locks work great if you are on a flat straight stretch of road. If there is any grade up or down with a throttle lock the seed will not stay constant.

The good news is throttle locks are cheap and do work at allowing you a few moments of relief.

I have Kaoko's on both my BMW but only because they came installed from the previous owners. I would not spend that kind of guap when there are other throttle locks that work just as well for less than $30.
Slow Eddie and Webfors like this.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-03-2019, 05:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hi Tim,
I've got a throttle lock on my 650. I don't know if it's a 'brand name' but it works. As 'Perazzi' noted, they don't hold the speed on hills, but if you want the opportunity to set the lock and rest your grip for a few minutes on a straight-away, then they work fine.
I rode 17,000 kms this spring across the USA and found it very handy just to rest your hand and wrist for a few minutes. 99% of the time I'm a two handed rider!!
Later dude....ride safe.

Larry

post #4 of 17 Old 10-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have other throttle locks and IMO the Kaoko throttle lock is worth the money, I have it on a 650 with the Barkbusters handguards.

God watches over fools and drunks
post #5 of 17 Old 10-03-2019, 05:21 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I've been thru several lock type "cruise controls".

I've tried to use the NEP but I didn't have a mechanical engineering degree and could never get it mounted right and gave up. Tried the Go Cruise and Omni-Cruise and both started to slip after a time and I had to cut back on the grip puppies to fit, but at least I could install them.

Finally got a Kaoko. A bit spendy but easy to install and holds. It is a bit fiddly to set and takes some practice and getting use to. But it holds. It is not a cruise control though and needs to be adjusted (as all locks do) as the terrain changes but the friction is just enough to make it easy to do and still hold the new setting.

I've had the Kaoko about 6 years and still works fine and gives my throttle hand a rest as needed.

One Kaoko installation note: after installing the Kaoko I found the compression bolt head lying on the garage floor. It had snapped off. I did not think I had torqued it down that hard but maybe.... I picked up a steel bolt from Ace Hardware and it has performed fine. The original bolt was passed on to Twisted Throttle (where I purchased it) and photos sent to Kaoko. The thought is it is/was just a fluke, a manufacturing flaw in the bolt.

YMMV

2020 Eastern V-Strom Rally (website) - May 14 - 17, 2020
1966 Triumph Bonneville T-120R
1965 Suzuki 80
post #6 of 17 Old 10-03-2019, 10:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

My bike had a KAOKO on it when I bought it. I never liked it. Too fiddly. I adapted a cheaper one that mounts next to the throttle cable housing, quick & easy to use. Sold the KAOKO for $40.00.

2007 DL 650 with assorted upgrades
post #7 of 17 Old 10-04-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Wow.... Really appreciate the input.
I realize they're not cruise control but just a throttle lock.
They do seem a bit on the expensive side, but then again on a long journey it would come in handy for that short rest the wrist.
I do have a trip planned for 2020 consisting of 18000 km.
I'll keep my eyes open for a used one or if any of you fine gentlemen happened to come across one before I do please let me know I would like to give it a try.
Here in Northern Ontario it is almost time to put the bikes away till May of next year so far all my Southern friends if you are riding this winter ride safe and keep the rubber side down.
Tim
the drifter
Webfors likes this.

Tim "the drifter"
post #8 of 17 Old 10-04-2019, 08:08 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrifter2010 View Post
Wow.... Really appreciate the input.
I realize they're not cruise control but just a throttle lock.
They do seem a bit on the expensive side, but then again on a long journey it would come in handy for that short rest the wrist.
Short rest is exactly what it will provide. I drove 5,000KM with it on my 650. It drove me nuts... I had to adjust it thousands of times because there were few level/straight sections of roads. However, it did allow me to rest periodically, which is pure gold.

For slabbing, nothing beats proper cruise. You'll realize that the first time you ride with someone who has it.

Two wheelz for realz!
'18 DL1000XT
post #9 of 17 Old 10-04-2019, 08:20 AM
$tromtrooper

Had a Gocruise on my Strom. It really helped to relax your hand but you can't set and forget. It's adjustable with a thumb screw to compensate for wear and slippage. Had to trim the grip puppy down a little and heat the OEM hand guard to pull it out a little to clear.

post #10 of 17 Old 10-04-2019, 01:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Overall I'm happy with my Atlas throttle lock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode