StromTrooper banner

Cruise control (Throttle Lock)

17K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  toddrs1979 
#1 ·
Just wondering what your ideas are on Kaoko Throttle Lock Cruise Control For Suzuki V-Strom 650 '2010 With OEM Handguards
Interested to know if you've had one used one or have one for sale
Many thanks in advance,

the drifter

#2 ·
A throttle lock is not technically cruise control. Throttle locks work great if you are on a flat straight stretch of road. If there is any grade up or down with a throttle lock the seed will not stay constant.

The good news is throttle locks are cheap and do work at allowing you a few moments of relief.

I have Kaoko's on both my BMW but only because they came installed from the previous owners. I would not spend that kind of guap when there are other throttle locks that work just as well for less than $30.

#3 ·
Hi Tim,
I've got a throttle lock on my 650. I don't know if it's a 'brand name' but it works. As 'Perazzi' noted, they don't hold the speed on hills, but if you want the opportunity to set the lock and rest your grip for a few minutes on a straight-away, then they work fine.
I rode 17,000 kms this spring across the USA and found it very handy just to rest your hand and wrist for a few minutes. 99% of the time I'm a two handed rider!!
Later dude....ride safe.

Larry

#5 ·
I've been thru several lock type "cruise controls".

I've tried to use the NEP but I didn't have a mechanical engineering degree and could never get it mounted right and gave up. Tried the Go Cruise and Omni-Cruise and both started to slip after a time and I had to cut back on the grip puppies to fit, but at least I could install them. :smile2:

Finally got a Kaoko. A bit spendy but easy to install and holds. It is a bit fiddly to set and takes some practice and getting use to. But it holds. It is not a cruise control though and needs to be adjusted (as all locks do) as the terrain changes but the friction is just enough to make it easy to do and still hold the new setting.

I've had the Kaoko about 6 years and still works fine and gives my throttle hand a rest as needed.

One Kaoko installation note: after installing the Kaoko I found the compression bolt head lying on the garage floor. It had snapped off. I did not think I had torqued it down that hard but maybe.... I picked up a steel bolt from Ace Hardware and it has performed fine. The original bolt was passed on to Twisted Throttle (where I purchased it) and photos sent to Kaoko. The thought is it is/was just a fluke, a manufacturing flaw in the bolt.

YMMV

#7 ·
Wow.... Really appreciate the input.
I realize they're not cruise control but just a throttle lock.
They do seem a bit on the expensive side, but then again on a long journey it would come in handy for that short rest the wrist.
I do have a trip planned for 2020 consisting of 18000 km.
I'll keep my eyes open for a used one or if any of you fine gentlemen happened to come across one before I do please let me know I would like to give it a try.
Here in Northern Ontario it is almost time to put the bikes away till May of next year so far all my Southern friends if you are riding this winter ride safe and keep the rubber side down.
Tim
the drifter

#8 ·
Wow.... Really appreciate the input.
I realize they're not cruise control but just a throttle lock.
They do seem a bit on the expensive side, but then again on a long journey it would come in handy for that short rest the wrist.
Short rest is exactly what it will provide. I drove 5,000KM with it on my 650. It drove me nuts... I had to adjust it thousands of times because there were few level/straight sections of roads. However, it did allow me to rest periodically, which is pure gold.

For slabbing, nothing beats proper cruise. You'll realize that the first time you ride with someone who has it.

#9 ·
Had a Gocruise on my Strom. It really helped to relax your hand but you can't set and forget. It's adjustable with a thumb screw to compensate for wear and slippage. Had to trim the grip puppy down a little and heat the OEM hand guard to pull it out a little to clear.

#13 ·
I found a fellow in Wisconsin that has an atlas throttle lock and I messengered to see why he's selling and what he's asking.
From looking at the website there appears to be two different models one that goes on the upper portion of the handlebar and one that hangs down from The handlebar.
Thanks for the tip about your friend that's got one and likes it

#14 · (Edited)
I've had an Atlas for about five thousand miles now. Overall I'm happy with the price vs. performance and design. Engaging it doesn't have a good solid feel because you're compressing a silicone pad against a flexible surface, but it works.

The only thing that took a bit of getting used to is that it's between your thumb and starter switch. It took a few rides to get used to going around it when hitting the starter switch.

#16 ·
I have had a kaoko - Never could install it properly

Vista Cruise - Would not hold with adjustments

Atlas - Also would not hold despite adjusting over and over

I now have a Go Cruise that is easy to install and easy to adjust.

Once I win the lottery, I will install an McCruise. There's no substitute for a true cruise control instead of a throttle lock.

#17 ·
FWIW, I've had a Rostra CC on my '08 for several years now. Works very well and has given me no issues whatsoever. Those very long days are MUCH more tolerable because of CC being able to drop my right arm for a while and not need to adjust every time the road goes up or down. They are fairly cheap to buy, and I followed directions others posted here. If you are up for it, this is what I'd recommend.

#18 · (Edited)
While I think the Atlas is ugly, the fact that it takes up no grip space makes it worth considering. This is another reason why I like the Kaoko and Throttlemeister, both of which look much better than the Atlas. I used both the Kaoko and Thottlemeister on various bikes for years and liked them both quite a bit. I have manly hands and like having access to the full width of my throttle grip. I'm not sure how either would work with the OEM handguards though. Also since they are now your bar end, if you drop your bike on the right side, it may damage them.

That said, I've also used a few versions of the Vista Cruise for many years which I liked very much. I'm currently using the newer version of the GoCruise on longer trips and during my last 7000km trip to and from Deals Gap it worked really well and held my speed extremely well, with the exception of steeper inclines/declines. Once in the mountains, I take it off anyways and enjoy the roads, as I ride too assertively on those roads to need one. I also have the original version of the GoCruise, but have never used it.

As mentioned, having an electronic cruise control is the way to go if you are planning on doing some serious distances on a semi regular basis.

#19 ·
That Atlas is $135 !! It just looks like a fancied up NEP. For an extra $110. I have the NEP ones on all my bikes and they work great.

Do a google search for NEP Cruise Control. It appears I dont have enough posts to post a link.

#23 ·
Here's a site for the NEP: https://lockitt.com/NEP-Sound-Off-Cruise-Control.html Interesting unit. Still like a full featured CC, spoiled from riding my Goldwings.
I had a ThrottleMeister on my CBR1100XX when I got it. I took it off and put on the NEP. This past summer, I installed a real cruise control on my CBR1100XX that I wired in. I took off the NEP throttle lock since I now have a "real" cruise control. Then I put it back on becuase the "real" cruise routine is "turn it on and then hit the set button", the NEP is just "flick your thumb". When doing something quick like adjusting something, the quick thumb flick is unbelievably handy. I have had the NEP on my 1983 CB1100F for the entire 100,000 miles I have put on it. Back in the 80's I think it was less than $10. the bar-end throttle locks are expensive and lacking compared to the quickness and simpleness of the NEP.

#22 ·
I had an NEP throttle lock on my 2006 DL650. Was happy with it for over 200,000 km. It wouldn't fit on my 2012 DL650 so I got a Gocruise. I used some aircraft safety wire to snug it up so it doesn't slip. When I got the 2015 DL1000 I transfered it to the 1000.

I've happily used the Gocruise for about 350,000 km and am very happily with it! I would love to have proper cruise control on my next bike (DL1050?)

..Tom

#24 ·
I had an NEP throttle lock on my 2006 DL650. Was happy with it for over 200,000 km. It wouldn't fit on my 2012 DL650 so I got a Gocruise. I used some aircraft safety wire to snug it up so it doesn't slip. When I got the 2015 DL1000 I transfered it to the 1000.

I've happily used the Gocruise for about 350,000 km and am very happily with it! I would love to have proper cruise control on my next bike (DL1050?)

..Tom
There are actually 3 models of the NEP depending on throttle cable setup and one would probably have fit your 2012.

#26 ·
Old grainy youtube video of the NEP. This is actually installed kind of cattywampus. The whole thing is rotated about 90 degrees to far. The thumb flip lever should be at the top in the rear, not on the bottom.

#30 ·
After going through several throttle locks that I was not happy with I bit the bullet and got a MCCruise throttle lock and never looked back.

Reactions: reasonable
#33 ·
Cool, I actually have the lower version on another bike in another country I want to take off and use on the Strom since it will be for long touring, and it has heated grips. The website says to get the upper version with the heated cable coming out of the bottom horizontally, but I really can’t see any reason it wouldn’t work. The cramp busters help a lot too, but I do love the Atlas. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.