Shinko 712 rear tire - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Spec
  • 1 Post By Wee Willy Winky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-11-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Shinko 712 rear tire

Anyone have an opinion about it? It is very inexpensive. The better ones are twice the price. Do the better ones last twice as long and have better traction in the rain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-11-2019, 03:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanino View Post
Anyone have an opinion about it? It is very inexpensive. The better ones are twice the price. Do the better ones last twice as long and have better traction in the rain?

I use 712s front and rears, seem fine to me.

Anecdotal evidence from talking to other riders in my area is that they get similar mileage to more premium tires.
I live in the desert so can't comment on rain performance really...
Big B likes this.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #3 of 6 Old 09-11-2019, 03:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I use 712s front and rears, seem fine to me.

Anecdotal evidence from talking to other riders in my area is that they get similar mileage to more premium tires.
I live in the desert so can't comment on rain performance really...
+1

post #4 of 6 Old 09-13-2019, 11:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Definitely cheap, but has a very nice heavy carcass and good looking tread design. Was not at all impressed with its performance in the cold and wet....so much so that I took it off with only about 500 miles on it and gave it away. Warm dry weather performance was acceptable. Prolly a very long mileage tire if you don't push the performance envelope very hard.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Here's my story. I seldom pay more for a premium brand just because of the label. Generic drugs work fine for me. So does tap pwater. When it comes to tires I take a different course. I like Shinko's in general as well as Kenda. These are both big companies with a lot on the line. Mileage varies all over the map but in general Kenda and Shinko tires just don't last as long. While all the main line tires are experimenting with multi compound treads for traction and longevity the bottom end brands are still just plain old rubber. I'm a pretty conservative rider so I don't worry much about dry traction. When it comes to wet traction that's a different story. Low cost tires reportedly are not so hot in the wet. Like the previous post many reports indicate poor wet traction from the cheapie tires. The way I figure it one slip and fall on slick pavement will outweigh any savings on tires. When I select tires the first spec I look for is wet traction. I don't like rain but a good set of tires raises my confidence to the point where I can navigate even in heavy rain. At the end of the day its your choice but I don't see tires as the place I want to save money. That's my story and I"m sticking to it.
bmwguy likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-13-2019, 12:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Wet traction is important for me, winter is our rainy season here, so we do a fair amount of riding in the rain. I was running the 705's for several tire changes, but found that even on the 650, mileage was about half of what I'd get out of more expensive tires. I don't mount and balance my own, so the savings on tire cost were getting taken out by mounting and balancing charges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode